Earthquake Reports

A real plate rattler hit the southern panhandle area of Texas. 
The quake, which occurred at 8:16 a.m. CST about 9 miles north-northeast of Hermleigh or some 100 miles southeast of Lubbock, struck at a depth of 1.5 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

8F3CCAA5-ADC6-4C2B-B676-836C35F138AC.webp

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Still waiting.  

https://www.livescience.com/live/news/iceland-volcano-reykjanes-peninsula 

Thousands of very small quakes continue to rattle the peninsula.   

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

• 2 weeks later...

Notable quake, preliminary info: M 7.6 - Mindanao, Philippines.
Tsunami alert issued then rescinded.  

A magnitude 5.8 earthquake rattled central Mexico on Thursday afternoon, shaking buildings in Mexico City and triggering early-warning networks.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the moderate quake was centered less than 100 miles southeast of Mexico City near the town of Chiautla de Tapia.

The Mx City quake was 12.4 mi deep.  
One fatality has been reported. 

Just for grins, I thought I’d post one of our infamous quakes in West Texas- just in time for the holidays.  
Note: No one reported feeling it. 🤠

Merry Christmas from Texas!

Also:

‘A small earthquake was detected late Thursday in Denton County.

The 2.2-magnitude earthquake struck shortly before midnight near Northlake, a small town about 45 miles northwest of Dallas, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. No immediate reports of damage have been made, as earthquakes in the 2.0 range on the Richter scale are considered minor.”

- Dallas Morning News

792C117E-7E6C-443E-80F6-FC6BD55B0B61.webp

• 3 weeks later...

The U.S. Geological Survey said a magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck near Anamizu, in the country's coastal prefecture of Ishikawa, causing power outages and transportation disruptions.

A Tsunami warning was issued in Japan’s West coast with 4’ waves expected. 

A quick succession of dozens of earthquakes struck Japan’s main island of Honshu today – the worst being a 7.6 magnitude that hit at 4.10pm local time.

The quakes triggered urgent tsunami alerts, with officials warning that waves could be as high as 16ft in some places.

Already waves of 3ft have been battering parts of Japan's west coast.

The worst affected areas are Toyama, Ishikawa and Niigata, which are now at risk of facing landslides and collapsing houses.

At least six people are buried under the rubble, the government said, adding that the army had been deployed to aid rescue efforts.

the sun.com

A8FCF70C-ACF4-4F9E-B00B-E3D865076795.webp

additional:

https://nbcdfw.app.link/5rytjiqn1Fb

Within 90 minutes of the initial earthquake, 19 other aftershocks were recorded according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

BERNARDSVILLE, N.J. (WABC) -- A 2.5 magnitude earthquake shook residents of Central New Jersey around 3:41 a.m.

The earthquake was 2 miles north of Bernardsville, N.J., in Somerset County.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/western-japan-earthquakes-claimed-100-lives-rain-snow-106153710

After the 7.6 quake in Japan strong aftershock potential remains. Japan continues to do recovery of the victims. 
A rare rescue 5 days after the heavily damaging quake saved an elderly woman.  
Now winter weather is closing in and recovery and cleanup is hampered with many still unaccounted for.

Geologists are on watch for a strong aftershock in the 5 range.  

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a news report from Japan this morning  on the recovery.  
The central west coast continues to battle debris, and issues with clean water and power.  
This will be a very long road to rebuilding and even longer to thrive.   There continues to be missing and dead.  

No nation is better equipped mentally or spiritually than Japan when it comes to rebuilding.   
No riots or looting. People wait quietly to refill their water containers.  It’s impressive.   

There remains a concern for more aftershocks or even a secondary slip. Let’s hope the oceanic fault is settled and remains quiet. 

• 2 weeks later...

OKLAHOMA CITY – A magnitude 5.1 earthquakeshook communities across at least five states across the Southern Plains Friday evening.

9D1BFA96-CB46-4779-9555-C40F8689937D.webp

• 3 weeks later...

M 5.0 - 2 km ENE of Tandag, Philippines 

2024-02-22 11:43:16 (UTC)

9.089°N 126.222°E                    71.9 km depth

A historically active area.  This one rattled the dishes.  

• 1 month later...

An earthquake struck New York/New Jersey just a few minutes ago. 
Information still streaming in.  It has been assigned a preliminary size of 4.8 and 2.9 miles in depth. Shallow enough to rattle the dishes.  

This is a rare occurrence for the east coast.

USGS expects an aftershock in the 3.8 range.  They haven’t had a sizable quake for about 140 years.  

Time was ~10:40am est. Depth 2.9 mi

Aftershock - 2.2 

IMG_0080.png

IMG_0081.jpeg

4.0 aftershock this early evening. 
9.4 km depth

Interesting day.  

The San Andreas Fault may be gearing up for a quake in So. California.  
Quakes usually occur about every 26 yrs and we’re approaching that anniversary.  

https://www.livescience.com/planet-earth/earthquakes/part-of-the-san-andreas-fault-may-be-gearing-up-for-an-earthquake

• 2 weeks later...

Taipei, Taiwan hit by 2 strong quakes  

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/taiwan-earthquakes-april-23-2024

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, a magnitude 6.1 earthquake occurred at 2:26 a.m. local time (2:26 p.m. ET Monday) just off the eastern shore of the island nation, about 17 miles south of Hualien City, at a depth of about 6.7 miles. The second, a magnitude 6, happened about 6 minutes later along the eastern shore, about 8 miles south-southwest of Hualien City, at about the same depth.