August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

To be fair, I think Jared likes it because it has seen very few changes over the years.

It may be a cold outlier compared to the rest of the Puget Sound lowlands thanks to its radiational cooling prowess. But it still is useful to compare to itself historically. Whereas stations like SEA have seen substantial land changes, and thus their modern temps/records/anomalies aren't as useful in an historical context.

Hard to disagree with this.

PDX has similar issues to SEA, although not as pronounced.

For instance, it is hard to imagine the exact same patterns as this month giving them a 59+ degree average low 30-40 years ago. Just more open land surrounding the station back then.

The UHI problem is real, and unfortunately it's absurdly hard to "correct" for in all reanalyses that seek to do so.

• Like 1

OLM has been off on its own this summer.

SEA has been in line... OLM is the Puget Sound region outlier.   :)

Like most summers, OLM's anomalies to date match the region overall. Compared to the region overall, SEA is a warm outlier for the summer. 

We've been over this...it's pretty cut and dried. UHI effect isn't rocket science.

A forum for the end of the world.

It's unfortunate, since I feel that it often muddies the water when trying to parse out the true effects of AGW.

That as well, yes. There are other methods employed to measure globally averages temperature, but any regional surface temperature studies that seek to rely on observed tendencies to predict future variations associated w/ climate changes will run into problems.

Like most summers, OLM's anomalies to date match the region overall. Compared to the region overall, SEA is a warm outlier for the summer.

We've been over this...it's pretty cut and dried. UHI effect isn't rocket science.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the region's anomalies match the region best.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I think you focus too much attention on OLM.

Don't take me too seriously.

But seriously...it's one of few long term stations with reliable data and little to no UHI influence. And it's conveniently located between Portland and Seattle. Doesn't tend to be an outlier with certain low level outflow events like BLI or PDX. 

Overall, it just reflects pretty well what's going on with the region in general in relation to long term climatology. But I don't think it's the only point of reference.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the region's anomalies match the region best.

Meaning, SEA (and a few other more recently "urbanized" stations) will tend to run higher anomalies relative to their own baseline(s) versus those that have seen less urbanization.

Too many stations are affected by his problem, which often skews surface temperature reanalyses warm vs upper air analyses during the gridding and extrapolatory/interpolatory procedures employed (given stations are isolated datapoints).

Explain WFO SEA, Bellingham, Victoria and others then.

SEA is not running warmer than those locations overall. June and July were exactly the same at WFO SEA and SEA for example.

SEA lines up very well with those stations. Definitely cooler compared to average than BLI and Victoria.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Meaning, SEA (and a few other more recently "urbanized" stations) will tend to run higher anomalies relative to their own baseline(s) versus those that have seen less urbanization.

Too many stations are affected by his problem, which often skews surface temperature reanalyses warm vs upper air analyses during the gridding and extrapolatory/interpolatory procedures employed (given stations are isolated datapoints).

Sure. Taking the average of several stations seems wise. Nothing groundbreaking there.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Explain WFO SEA, Bellingham, Victoria and others then.

SEA is not running warmer than those locations overall. June and July were exactly the same at WFO SEA and SEA for example.

Look at the anomalies for June, July, and August to date on the HPRCC website. OLM matches up well to the region.

Don't take me too seriously.

But seriously...it's one of few long term stations with reliable data and little to no UHI influence. And it's conveniently located between Portland and Seattle. Doesn't tend to be an outlier with certain low level outflow events like BLI or PDX. 

Overall, it just reflects pretty well what's going on with the region in general in relation to long term climatology. But I don't think it's the only point of reference.

Fair enough.

You still bring it up too often though, even in situations where its not really relevant.  :P

Look at the anomalies for June, July, and August to date on the HPRCC website. OLM matches up well to the region.

SEA matches up well in a smaller region within the larger region and is far from the warmest station.   

Its not some lone outlier.   BLI has been considerably warmer than SEA (compared to average).   Same story with Victoria.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3-month anomalies... I don't see a lone red dot over SEA.   :)

anomimage_1.gif

SEA matches up well in a smaller region within the larger region and is far from the warmest station.   

Its not some lone outlier.   BLI has been considerably warmer than SEA (compared to average).   Same story with Victoria.   

Big picture, man. I've provided the stats. SEA has consistently ran warmer than most the region since 2006ish - especially in the warm season. Not every month...but most months.

And it's no great mystery why.

Big picture, man. I've provided the stats. SEA has consistently ran warmer than most the region since 2006ish - especially in the warm season. Not every month...but most months.

And it's no great mystery why.

You said it was an outlier this summer.   That means it has local effects that skew it warmer than it would otherwise be... and that is not the case this summer.   

WFO SEA, BLI, and Victoria support that position.

SEA is not a lone outlier this summer.   

Maybe overall since 2006... but you specifically said this summer.   If SEA was a degree or more warmer than every station in the Puget Sound region and Vancouver Island for JJA then I would agree with you.     Its not.

OLM is actually in the +1 to +2 anomaly range for that period. SEA is above +2.

How is BLI doing?   

And WFO SEA?

And Victoria?  

The whole world is not just SEA and OLM.   

SEA is part of a larger warm anomaly area this summer and is not the warmest station in western WA. 

How is BLI doing?   

And WFO SEA?

And Victoria?  

The whole world is not just SEA and OLM.   

SEA is part of a larger warm anomaly area this summer and is not the warmest station in western WA. 

You said OLM was a cool outlier for the region. The map you posted shows it's not.

You said OLM was a cool outlier for the region. The map you posted shows it's not.

For the Puget Sound region it is the cool outlier... and you want OLM to be in our special region up here. :)

SEA is arguably a cool outlier in the Puget Sound region using stations to the north.

For the Puget Sound region it is the single cool outlier... and you want OLM to be in our special region up here. :)

That's not what the map shows. They use a lot more than 3 stations to compute that.

You're arguing against what your own map illustrates. The map showed the majority of the Puget Sound region being in the +1 to +2 range. And that is where OLM falls. SEA is above.

That's not what the map shows. They use a lot more than 3 stations to compute that.

You're arguing against what your own map illustrates. The map showed the majority of the Puget Sound region being in the +1 to +2 range. And that is where OLM falls. SEA is above.

SEA is 2.0 for the summer before today. BLI and Victoria are higher. Are you really saying SEA is the outlier? You think all the small station data is reliable?

SEA is right in line within the Puget Sound region. OLM is missing out on the party!

SEA is 2.0 for the summer before today. BLI and Victoria are higher. Are you really saying SEA is the outlier? You think all the small station data is reliable?

Feel free to write the WRCC. I'll take their analysis over yours. I know that SEA has an established tendency towards being skewed warm. You're bringing up a straw man.

And SEA was +2.1 before today.

Look, I'm not saying SEA is a huge outlier for the region this summer. I'm refuting your claim that OLM is.

Feel free to write the WRCC. I'll take their analysis over yours. I know that SEA has an established tendency towards being skewed warm. You're bringing up a straw man.

And SEA was +2.1 before today.

Look, I'm not saying SEA is a huge outlier for the region this summer. I'm refuting your claim that OLM is.

OLM is awesome. I bow to OLM. :)

OLM is probably in line with the larger region.

But for fun... compare the number of days below normal this summer at OLM and BLI.