September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

My completely objective opinion is that I don't play favorites. I call out anyone, including myself. This is evident by the fact that I manage to offend just about everyone at some point. Including myself.

You just don't like being called out, period.

I am called out all the time.   Inherent part of the discussion here.

Respectfully challenging people should be a fundamental part of the discourse.   

Respectfully is the key.   I was respectful.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty weird example. Apparently Tim was just in the mood for a rant.

A continuation might not be something to behold.   Saying it would be is over-confident.    Needless to say.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am called out all the time. Inherent part of the discussion here.

Respectfully challenging people should be a fundamental part of the discourse.

Respectfully is the key. I was respectful.

You aren't respectful though. You throw insults left and right at Jim which you think fly under the radar. It's painfully obvious everytime

You aren't respectful though. You throw insults left and right at Jim which you think fly under the radar. It's painfully obvious everytime

I would venture to say that you have insulted me directly far beyond any personal insults you perceive me 'throwing' at Jim.    I did not insult him tonight and rarely insult him personally.   I respect him as a person and a cohort is this weather forum mania for over a decade.

I merely said 2007-08... which is a valid example.    Everything since has been another waste of time.   Just let it be.   It was a fair response.   

You just lectured us on being respectful, then you call me a jerk.

Ah...classic Tim.

No... at times you are just challenging me on tiny details to be a jerk.    You know that is true.   That does not mean you are a jerk.   Sometimes you play the part though.   :)

FWIW... the 00Z GFS MOS does not show 60s now for Sunday in Seattle.     74, 74, 71 the next 3 days at SEA.   

More noticeable drop at PDX... 80, 82, 72.

00Z ECMWF has 66 at SEA on Sunday... and 69 at PDX.

48/38 for PDX on Christmas Day.

57/44. Cancel Winter?

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Glad to see Carolina get a loss out of the gate. Could help the Seahawks. Plus that punk Cam lost the very next game to the same team after storming off from his Super Bowl post game media session.

I have no problem with him storming off after losing the Super Bowl, You shouldn't either.

2013/2014 Winter season

Tendency in the models now to cut-off part of the weekend trough over Oregon and Northern CA early next week.   Keeps the warmth in check for sure.   

00Z ECMWF is showing this as well... about 2 degrees cooler for Tuesday compared to the 12Z run.  Now shows 75 at SEA and 80 at PDX that day.

Tendency in the models now to cut-off part of the weekend trough over Oregon and Northern CA early next week. Keeps the warmth in check for sure.

00Z ECMWF is showing this as well... about 2 degrees cooler for Tuesday compared to the 12Z run. Now shows 75 at SEA and 80 at PDX that day.

Damage control!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The WRF indicates it may not even hit 80 in Seattle next week now.  In fact it cools to normal by Thursday.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I figure we have about a month left where it's climatologically possible. Sun gets too weak after October 10.

Fortunately for Jesse, 60+ lows are possible at basically any point of the year.

:lol:

1980 saw to that. 

I was talking about 90 degree heat in October in general. It seems to come in bunches in the Willamette Valley. We had 1932-1934-1936 and then 1987 & 1988. Its going to have to happen again at some point...

:lol:

1980 saw to that. 

I was talking about 90 degree heat in October in general. It seems to come in bunches in the Willamette Valley. We had 1932-1934-1936 and then 1987 & 1988. Its going to have to happen again at some point...

Don't forget about 1952, 1970, and 1980.

Real mixed bags of winters followed, so it's going to be a real guessing game for us after it happens this year!

If you want actual shots of 1950's Portland watch the first three minutes. They actually made a movie about a Soviet nuclear strike on Portland. Filmed right here in town using local "talent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEl7A7KaHA

I'll trade a nuclear holocaust for a January 1957 redux.

• Like 1

He should have gone with " I'm just here so I don't get fined" on repeat for 10 minutes. That's the kind of interview a Seahawks fan can get behind.

The Seahawks can do no wrong lol

2013/2014 Winter season

The 90 degree stuff may have to wait until October.

That's lovely.

2013/2014 Winter season

Temp tanking tonight. Already 49° here.

High of 68° for Thursday.

Departures so far.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Damage control!

I would have reported that either way.

What damage? 2007-08 was my response to the something to behold comment. I will say it again... 2007-08.

I would have reported that either way.

What damage? 2007-08 was my response to the something to behold comment. I will say it again... 2007-08.

Probably, but we know how it is.

The others did blow it out of proportion.

The new CFS monthly outlook released this morning is warm every month for the PNW from now until next spring... but January is the closest to being something good with cold air across western BC.

December is shown to be a nationwide blowtorch.