temperatures dropped into the 80s briefly before midnight, but due
  to some gusty north winds had risen to an incredible 99 degrees 
  by 1230 AM, and were still 99 degrees around 3 AM! As of 3 AM PDT,
  at least 25 stations, mostly RAWS stations were showing 
  temperatures at or above 90 degrees. That included 96 degrees in 
  Sylmar and San Marcos Pass, 95 degrees at Refugio, and 93 degrees 
  in Simi Valley". 

• Like 1

5th consecutive day of triple-digit maximums even w/ plenty of afternoon cloudiness. La Tuna canyon fire smoke hasn't affected my area even though Tujunga is only about 5 miles away. Remnants of TS Lidia could provide welcomed showers tomorrow but dew point temps will rise even more above today's uncomfortable readings that have been mostly in the 60's except above 70° near the ocean [sST still in low/mid 70's as they have nearly all summer]. Next weekend looks very promising for cool temps/ cloudiness.  

102/ 81

• Like 1

Strong offshore winds expected tonight, which would normally make it bone dry, if it were a normal Santa Ana event without the monsoonal moisture and moisture from Lidia.

What condition would generate "strong" off shore winds? I hope winds stay mostly calm like they are currently to help control fires. Dew points temps are rising; that should also help firefighters. Some showers would be perfect. 

11PM

PASADENA        N/A     90  70  51 CALM        N/A  HX  95    

• Like 1

Those numbers are unreal.

Arcata also hit 96 today at the airport. I'll have to look it up but that could be a pretty sturdy demolition of their all time record. I know the Eureka city station has never been above 87.

This ridge is a monster. RDD gave September 1988 a run for its money today as well, at 114. 

• Like 1

3AM temps around San Diego bay [record warm minimums are likely]:

SAN DIEGO AP   FAIR      90  66  45 E10       29.85F                 
NATIONAL CITY    N/A     89  70  54 E3        29.87S                 
CHULA VISTA      N/A     89  71  55 E6        29.76F                 
IMPERIAL BEACH FAIR      89  65  44 E13       29.84S                 

• Like 2

Getting some gusts over 10 mph from southeast winds but dew point is at 72° so they are not drying winds. Nonetheless the wind is not good for the nearby La Tuna fire. 8AM temp for USC is already 90F. Trump called for a day of prayer so let's pray for tropical showers :)

I find it interesting that non-Californians seem to be more interested in the historic heat in the Bay Area than Californians.

There's another forum/ blog full of NorCalifornians where everything/ anything California weather is discussed.

Jesse, you have often commented on the sad reality that the West Coast hasn't had a cool summer in too many years. I don't think it is unreasonable to accept the science of global warming. Summers seem much more humid, for example than in the past. If elevated dew points promote more rainfall than I don't mind the discomfort but it seems even dispersed tropical systems ride over SoCal only to drop moisture further north like the PacificNW :o

We have been having some interesting weather.  With the heat wave we topped out at around 100 with lows as high as 72(this morning).  This afternoon we picked up .25" of rain with thunder and wind.  Hopefully we can pick up some more rain before this is over.

Took this photo looking north from Silver Lake this morning showing fire/ smoke above Burbank and building cumulus to the east. The minimum was revised to reflect cooling this evening from 84 to 78. Looking forward to next trough.

99/ 78

post-226-0-62000500-1504510791_thumb.jpg

Marine layer deepening as the day goes on. It is actually drizzling right now and getting more foggy. Most likely the mountain passes will be socked in by tomorrow morning.

That is the onshore flow behind the remnants of Lidia.   Sounds like you are getting hit really hard.  Makes the situation in Texas seem like a day in the park.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It has been muggy/ cloudy much of the day allowing a nice cool down. Data shows many areas recorded light rainfall from Lidia though only a trace here. The rain/ high dew points are greatly helping contain what has been one of the worse wildfires in Los Angeles at over 7000 acres. I attended a party last night where a couple from Miami vacationing in LA were playfully blamed for bringing "Florida weather" to California; they pointed out that the recent heat indexes here were unlike anything they ever encounter in Florida :lol:

85/ 74

Trace