California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Despite ridging over the Southwest and offshore winds in SoCal, temps were relatively cool today.

Palm Springs :   82 /  59

Las Vegas Arpt :  71 /  50

Phoenix Sky Harbor :  75 / 56

Death Valley :  86 /  62

San Diego :  80 /  59

Los Angeles/USC :  81 /  54

82 / 62

Despite ridging over the Southwest and offshore winds in SoCal, temps were relatively cool today.

Palm Springs :   82 /  59

Las Vegas Arpt :  71 /  50

Phoenix Sky Harbor :  75 / 56

Death Valley :  86 /  62

San Diego :  80 /  59

Los Angeles/USC :  81 /  54

82 / 62

It must have been quite a cold airmass over the 4 Corners / Great Basin region to generate a Santa Ana event in mid April in which the highest temperatures only reached the mid 80's in the warmest spots of the coastal plain with only low 80's in the low deserts. A Santa Ana event this time of year can easily lead to temperatures in the mid-upper 90's or even over 100, but fortunately wasn't the case this time around or else the fire danger would have even been higher than it was today.

• Like 1

Winter santa anas, fueled by very cold air over Nevada/ Utah, can be quite a bit warmer than our mini heat wave. 

My love for upper level lows grows.  If it rains or not at least it will be cool next week.

L: 60

Trough in control.  Without a marine layer we'd probably get some chilly minimums.  Maybe with enough lift some light showers will develop overnight. 

74 / 56

Building cumulus and a good amount of cloudiness across California but very little rainfall

Big Flat RAWS  [5100'] :  71 /  34 /  0.48

Twentynine Palms  [2110'] :  76 /  53 /  0.11

67 / 57 

Haven't seen the sun for 2 days.

Makes for a nice change! B)

This has to be the first time that the marine layer has been this dominant for two straight days for at least the last two years. I just wish we would get some rain for a change because I am so sick and tired of it not raining and we also need it very badly!

Unfortunately, moisture has been quite limited and mostly over high terrain.

Manzanita Lake   [5750'] :     65 /  32 /  0.21

Grant Grove         [6600'] :   55 /  33 / 0.32

Yosemite Valley   [4199'] :   72 /  40 / 0.14

Isabella Dam        [2680'] :   74 /  47 / 0.25 /

Barstow                [2220'] :  78 /  49 /  0.13

L: 54

Rain mainly over the northern Sierra/ Sacramento Valley yesterday.  There are reports of light showers around Seal Beach & Santa Ana this morning. 

Blue Canyon AP [5280'] :     60 /  38 /  1.00 M
Mt Shasta City    [3590'] :     70 /  39 /  0.03 /
Oroville AP         [192'] :     81 /  56 /  0.15 /
Paradise             [1750'] :     74 /  49 /  0.22 /

L: 57

There has been a bit of off and on drizzle / light rain here in Orange last night and today, but nothing really measurable and just barely enough to wet the ground.

There was rain in southern Orange co and coastal San Diego county today

NEWPORT BEACH  [10'] :   63 /  57 /  0.16

CARLSBAD AIRPORT  [328'] :   63 /  57 /  0.21 /

ENCINITAS   [270'] :   65 /  57 /  0.35 /

SOLANA BEACH   [75'] :   66 /  57 /  0.28 /

If tomorrow remains as cool as predicted than it will be 5 days straight in the 60's [coolest stretch this year]. 

66 / 57

A cell dropped 1.42" in the Santa Rosa mountains yesterday.  The high desert North & East of here along with the desert mountain slopes has had Tstorms daily since Tuesday.  Tuesday I heard thunder as the cell developed and drifted away into the desert....

It's been drippy, misty, drizzly since last night with maybe a tenth of an inch, temps steady around 40F.  This should be much more common in spring, bookended by an actual late season storm or two!

A cell dropped 1.42" in the Santa Rosa mountains yesterday.  The high desert North & East of here along with the desert mountain slopes has had Tstorms daily since Tuesday.  Tuesday I heard thunder as the cell developed and drifted away into the desert....

It's been drippy, misty, drizzly since last night with maybe a tenth of an inch, temps steady around 40F.  This should be much more common in spring, bookended by an actual late season storm or two!

Current conditions

MAMMOTH LAKES  FLURRIES  36  34  93 SE5       29.86R WCI  32    

It started raining here in Orange about 15 minutes ago, and this is by far the most rain I have seen this week and it is still coming down.

It rained lightly here around the same time as your showers.  The front dropped a fair amount of precipitation over the state w/ totals of over 2 inches near Big Sur [PICO BLANCO: 2.52].

63 / 56 [coolest day since 3/2/15]

April: 0.24

Rain year [jul-jun]: 8.50

Wow, Palomar Mountain squeezed 3.05" out of this last system along with several other 2"+ readings in San diego / Riverside county mountains.

Some stations in San Diego county may be near normal for rainfall.  Possibility of a cut-off low again this coming weekend.

84 / 59

First 90°+ maximum for the month in many areas today.  Could easily be worse in April.  In-fact, monthly average temperatures may be very close to normal for the first time in many months.

92 / 62

I had my first 70 degree reading yesterday here.  Not necessarily uncommon, but what is uncommon was the extremely mild/warm J/F/M.  I think I could count our subfreezing lows YTD on two hands when it should be closer to, oh I dunno, NINETY! 

I had my first 70 degree reading yesterday here.  Not necessarily uncommon, but what is uncommon was the extremely mild/warm J/F/M.  I think I could count our subfreezing lows YTD on two hands when it should be closer to, oh I dunno, NINETY! 

The last two winters have featured some rather ridiculous torching that has been way too dominant and hasn't allowed very much in the way of normal temperatures. I hope we shift into a different winter pattern in coming years in which we don't experience the level of wintertime warmth we have seen recently. Also the springs have had some really hot weather especially in April and May and today is a prime example of that with widespread low to even mid 90's in the inland coastal and valley areas of Socal.

The last two winters have featured some rather ridiculous torching that has been way too dominant and hasn't allowed very much in the way of normal temperatures. I hope we shift into a different winter pattern in coming years in which we don't experience the level of wintertime warmth we have seen recently. Also the springs have had some really hot weather especially in April and May and today is a prime example of that with widespread low to even mid 90's in the inland coastal and valley areas of Socal.

Some of the discomfort today was due to higher dewpoint temps.

94 / 65

Guest happ

April ended on the hot side but, in general, it was a fairly mild and near normal temperature-wise.  Rainfall was scant, of-course.

April 2015

Aver Max: 77.0 [norm: 76°

Aver Min: 56.9 [norm: 56°

Mean: 66.9

High Max: 94°

Low Max: 63°

High Min: 68° 

Low Min: 48°

Rain: 0.24

Year [jul-jun]: 8.50 

Rain days: 2

Guest happ

Interestingly, both high and low temperatures here in April averaged exactly 3.6 degrees cooler than in March, and in both cases were exactly 20 degrees apart:

March 2015:  75.3 / 55.3

April 2015:  71.7 / 51.7

April was only fractionally warmer than February, but was still a +1.7 degree departure from the 24-year average.

How do you get such cool temps and only 1000' above me?

Guest happ

Thanks for the data; there is a big temperature difference incongruent w/ nearby stations.  Here are current readings:

1453PDT 2153 89 12 15 SSW - 89 63 68 10 18 - - - -

LITTLE TUJUNGA [1390] 89 62 

Los Angeles, Whitem  [1004] 90 72

SAN RAFAEL HILLS  [1770]  93 70 

BURBANK AIRPORT [774']  89 63

San Rafael Hills is closer to me but near your elevation.

Next week is looking much cooler than what we have experienced this week. I'm ready for it to cool down because I am really getting tired of these 90 degree plus hot spells that seem to come with regularity in spring anymore for whatever reason. This hot weather makes it unpleasant for gardening to say the least and this is my favorite time of the year for getting out and working in the yard. There may even be a bit of rain late next week if the latest forecast holds.