California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

-
With the recent more extra-ordinary rains in and through the PNW more over the past four or five days @, looked at together with what I've pointed to more just yesterday where looking at main and greater patterning impacting the West @, ...

.. These two, looked at more in particularly of the broader scope of elements currently more observable at this point (Others, ENSO's current state, together with the general positioning or focusing of main cold to the north at this point more seasonal.), and if again looked at together, would I'd say, work as serve as a decent harbinger of an at least more average precip. type of fall and winter seasons for California both north and south where looking ahead.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/satsfc00.gif

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomnight.9.3.2015.gif
http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n8&inv=0&t=cur
http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n5&inv=0&t=cur

• Like 1
---

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EUREKA CA
322 AM PDT FRI SEP 4 2015

...FROST POSSIBLE IN SOUTH-CENTRAL TRINITY COUNTY...

.A COLD FRONT WILL BRING COLD CONDITIONS TO TRINITY COUNTY FRIDAY
NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING WITH WIDESPREAD FROST POSSIBLE IN
SOUTH-CENTRAL TRINITY COUNTY IF WINDS SUBSIDE OVERNIGHT AS
FORECAST. TEMPERATURES WILL GRADUALLY WARM THROUGH THE WEEKEND
INTO NEXT WEEK.

CAZ004-050000-
/O.NEW.KEKA.FR.Y.0024.150905T1000Z-150905T1600Z/
UPPER TRINITY RIVER-
322 AM PDT FRI SEP 4 2015

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM PDT SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN EUREKA HAS ISSUED A FROST
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM PDT SATURDAY.

* LOW TEMPERATURES...MID 30S.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE...HAYFORK...DOUGLAS CITY...PEANUT...RUTH...
  AND FOREST GLEN

Where do Bay Area guys go for snow?

.. Up Interstates both, 80 and 50. "Mammoth" is the only resort I know of on 50—or more south even maybe.

"Boreal", "North Star", "Sugar Bowl", "Donner Ski Ranch", "Alpine Meodows", "Squaw Valley", all more just of I-80. "Heavenly" a bit South of Tahoe. ...

---

NWS_SD

THERE IS A LITTLE BETTER AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GFS AND EC WITH THE 
  HANDLING OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION 15-E...WHICH WILL LIKELY STRENGTHEN 
  TO TROPICAL STORM LINDA. SOUTHERLY WIND FLOW BETWEEN THIS SYSTEM AND 
  THE UPPER HIGH OVER MEXICO WILL DRAW TROPICAL MOISTURE NORTHWARD 
  INTO BAJA. PWATS OF 1.5" HOVER OVER THE U.S.-MEXICO BORDER TUESDAY 
  THROUGH THURSDAY...BUT THE REAL DEEP MOISTURE (PWATS 2+ REMAIN 
  SUPPRESSED TO THE SOUTH...SO ANY CONVECTION THAT DOES FORM OVER SO-
  CAL WILL BE ISOLATED AND MOSTLY CONFINED TO SAN DIEGO AND RIVERSIDE 
  COUNTIES. AFTER THURSDAY THE MOISTURE DECREASES AS LINDA BEGINS 
  TURNING NORTHWEST AND THE UPPER HIGH BUILDS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA 
  BRINGING HOT...DRY WEATHER NEXT WEEKEND. 

Looks like a hot week ahead.

92 / 65

It sure does look hot. Wednesday through Friday could be a lot like the last couple of heat waves we had experienced in August. I would like to see some more in the way of monsoonal moisture this time around as it has been unusually dull here for about the last month. I just think it is atypical during an El Nino of this magnitude not to have any t-storm action in the vicinity whatsoever.

.. Up Interstates both, 80 and 50. "Mammoth" is the only resort I know of on 50—or more south even maybe.

"Boreal", "North Star", "Sugar Bowl", "Donner Ski Ranch", "Alpine Meodows", "Squaw Valley", all more just of I-80. "Heavenly" a bit South of Tahoe. ...

Mammoth is well south of the 50. By a couple hours in fact down the 395.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Last arctic blast was the 1st of the year 2015 I recorded a 17/10 which is my record low high temp for my location (just 8 years though) - my guess is we're more than half way to the next one! LOL

I wish that was the case and wonder how long we must wait for an "arctic blast" in SoCal?

95 / 70

Last arctic blast was the 1st of the year 2015 I recorded a 17/10 which is my record low high temp for my location (just 8 years though) - my guess is we're more than half way to the next one! LOL

The first few days of January 2015 produced minimums in the 30's even in the lower elevations though only 40° at my station [my coldest temp for the year so far].  This past year has been way too warm w/ only 9 nights below 50° at this point; that has to be a new record.  Today there is an "Excessive Heat Warning" in effect.

L: 75

Very hot today but I enjoyed the cumulonimbus build up over the San Gabriel Mts.  Dewpoints were high though some inland areas dropped below 60 this afternoon; Pasadena had a heat index of 106.  Maybe humidity from hurricane Linda will allow for more widespread thunderstorms tomorrow.

101 / 75

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OXNARD CA
146 PM PDT WED SEP 9 2015

LOS ANGELES CA-
146 PM PDT WED SEP 9 2015

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 315 PM PDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN LOS ANGELES COUNTY...

AT 141 PM PDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN ACROSS THE WARNED
AREA.  THE THUNDERSTORMS WERE MOVING VERY SLOWLY OR NEARLY
STATIONARY AND FLOODING COULD BEGIN AT ANY TIME.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...
ACTON...WRIGHTWOOD...LAKE PALMDALE...VALYERMO...ANGELES CREST HIGHWAY
BETWEEN MOUNT WATERMAN AND WRIGHTWOOD...ANGELES CREST HIGHWAY BETWEEN
MOUNT WILSON AND MOUNT WATERMAN...BIG PINES AND FALLING SPRINGS.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-southern-california-extreme-weather-20150909-story.html

It rained to the north [santa Clarita], the south [santa Ana] and to the east [Ontario] but none here in LA.  Some minimums include Burbank: 80°, Pasadena 81°.  I've recorded a few 80° minimums over the many years; they were associated with very high humidity and clouds.  But last night was clear with little radiative cooling.

102 / 79 

Returned to Tujunga just in time for the latest heat wave.  My work is in L.A., but I usually have time off in the summer.

Since I started spending my summers in Eugene in 2013, each has been among the hottest ever recorded, including this year at #1.

Ironically, one of the main factors that decided me on Eugene for a second home was the cooler summers  <_>

Supposed to be yet another 90+ day in Eugene tomorrow.  I'll be browsing real estate listings in Juneau  :lol:

Hopefully we don't see a trio of summers like the last three for at least another couple hundred years.

The warmer then average ocean temperatures have sure been making its presence known on the immediate central coast.  Our temps from July 1st to August 31st have averaged out to  74.8/ 61.3,  50 year average 68.9/ 53.8.   Hottest temp of the summer: 103 on September 9th, Lowest min: 49 on September 4th.       

• Like 1

Warm muggy mostly cloudy day that reminds me of Hawaii.  Some light rainfall in places [mainly higher elevations] with the possibility of more significant moisture in a few days.

91 / 76

Thanks.   Hopefully we'll get a winter out here this winter.   High today: 76, ...Ave:  69. 

Welcome to the forums! It is nice to see another new member from CA on here.

Hopefully we get a very wet winter with a lot of snow in the mountains after a dismal four year stretch. This is our best opportunity that we have had for a good season in quite a while!

Welcome to the forums! It is nice to see another new member from CA on here.

Hopefully we get a very wet winter with a lot of snow in the mountains after a dismal four year stretch. This is our best opportunity that we have had for a good season in quite a while!

Thanks.  I feel pretty optimistic about this winter myself.  Statistically the odds are increasing our favor.   I like seeing colder Lows in the GOA these last few weeks.   

Its raining moderately off and on around San Simeon this morning.  Temperature 64, Dew Point 61.  It looks like the mid level moisture, left over from remnant Linda, has a lifting mechanism off the coast west of SLO county now, where there appears to be some upper level circulation to the west of the Monterey Bay with enhancement of the mid level moisture field and cooling cloud tops per satellite images.  The biggest concern with all of this blooming activity is the potential for dry lightning, which is the last thing we need right now.    

Its raining moderately off and on around San Simeon this morning.  Temperature 64, Dew Point 61.  It looks like the mid level moisture, left over from remnant Linda, has a lifting mechanism off the coast west of SLO county now, where there appears to be some upper level circulation to the west of the Monterey Bay with enhancement of the mid level moisture field and cooling cloud tops per satellite images.  The biggest concern with all of this blooming activity is the potential for dry lightning, which is the last thing we need right now.    

NWS_LA

A JET STREAK IS MOVING DOWN THE COAST THIS MORNING AND IS 

INTERACTING WITH A SMALL AREA OF ELEVATED INSTABILITY OFF THE 

CENTRAL COAST...PRODUCING AN AREA OF CONVECTION ALREADY VISIBLE ON 

SATELLITE. THIS ENHANCEMENT SHOULD MOVE THROUGH SLO COUNTY 

TODAY...AND COULD BE POTENT ENOUGH TO PRODUCE LOCALLY MODERATE 

RAINFALL AND A COUPLE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

Good luck with the precipitation.

L: 69.9 ° [first minimum below 70 ° in over a week]

• Like 1

NWS_LA

A JET STREAK IS MOVING DOWN THE COAST THIS MORNING AND IS 

INTERACTING WITH A SMALL AREA OF ELEVATED INSTABILITY OFF THE 

CENTRAL COAST...PRODUCING AN AREA OF CONVECTION ALREADY VISIBLE ON 

SATELLITE. THIS ENHANCEMENT SHOULD MOVE THROUGH SLO COUNTY 

TODAY...AND COULD BE POTENT ENOUGH TO PRODUCE LOCALLY MODERATE 

RAINFALL AND A COUPLE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

Good luck with the precipitation.

L: 69.9 ° [first minimum below 70 ° in over a week]

Thanks.  Rainfall:  0.12" so far with this one.  Rain, continues to vary from light to moderate near San Simeon.  Current temp holding at 64,  Dew point 61.  

• Like 1

It began raining around 3am and lasted 6 hours.  Steady occasional moderate rainfall.  I was astonished to see 1.98" before I left for work.  Incredible orographic lift.  USC, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills have over 2 inches.  I think LA was the sweet spot for this system unlike hurricane Dolores where Orange Co/ San Diego picked up extraordinary totals [over 4 inches in Ramona in July].

Lo: 70

0.81" here so far.

When is the last time there were two rain events with this magnitude and coverage in one summer?

Wow.   That's is an substantial amount for this time of year.   Looking at this site:  http://www.climatestations.com   and looking at Los Angeles historical data, the last time something like this may have happened was in 1976 or 1977.    But as far as magnitude and coverage, I think this summer pales those other ones from what I can tell. 

Temp yesterday 71/61.  Rainfall:  0.15"