California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Temps were the same as yesterday but dew points dropped near or below 60° in the valleys, making it more comfortable.  Beach cities stayed as high as 74° dew points this afternoon.

96 / 72

I just wonder when this current humid weather pattern with days alternating between the upper 80's to low 90's and the 90's to low 100's is ever going to come to an end. I think by now we should be having at least some cooler weather at times, even though we tend to have this type of heat through the end of September at least on and on and off basis. It just seems more persistent than normal for this late in the month. This type of endless heat is normal during the first 2/3 of the month, though.

I just wonder when this current humid weather pattern with days alternating between the upper 80's to low 90's and the 90's to low 100's is ever going to come to an end. I think by now we should be having at least some cooler weather at times, even though we tend to have this type of heat through the end of September at least on and on and off basis. It just seems more persistent than normal for this late in the month. This type of endless heat is normal during the first 2/3 of the month, though.

Agree.  Septembers have to be endured.

95 / 72

It's been delightful up north. Hopefully some cooling will reach you guys too, eventually.

It's been delightful up north. Hopefully some cooling will reach you guys too, eventually.

From tonight's San Diego AFD:

MODELS ARE INDICATING THE POSSIBILITY OF THE STRONG UPPER LEVEL RIDGE BREAKING DOWN TOWARDS NEXT WEEKEND AS A STRONG TROUGH DEVELOPS ACROSS PORTIONS OF CALIFORNIA... ALTHOUGH CONFIDENCE IS VERY LOW IN THE FORECAST THAT FAR OUT ATTM.

At least there is now some hope of a pattern change to cooler weather as we head into the first week of October. Of course, it is too early to tell whether it will actually occur or not, but the possibility now exists.

-

Still fairly warm here through early afternoon. Although with a fairly quite cool down through later afternoon into earlier even with the moon's movement toward rise. And then more so into the main evening, as things moved toward and then after sunset.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAPARAD2

---

.. Right now (At this point.), I've got main colder air regressing (retracting.) northward through Oct. 3rd. @

The humidity that you've pointed to certainly likely connected to the present Nino state. And then with this, looked at together with what I've said about colder air's general direction (distributional leaning) at this point, more latitudinally, .. first, main moisture (inclusive of humidity.) being allowed greater general access north, and then second, .. main cold starting to expand (move and spread.) daily, progressively more, from the 4th of Oct. forward.

• Like 1
---

By the end of September, many people are pleading 'Say Uncle' especially this year.  It's the warmest month of 2015 but analog spread was far less than March.

September Data 2015

Aver Max: 90.4 \ norm: 87°

Aver Min: 69.6 \ norm 64

Mean: 80 \ norm 75

Hi Max: 102 Lo Max: 80 

Hi Min: 79 Lo Min: 63

Rain: 2.01

Total: [jul-jun] 2.60

Rain days: 1

By the end of September, many people are pleading 'Say Uncle' especially this year.  It's the warmest month of 2015 but analog spread was far less than March.

September Data 2015

Aver Max: 90.4 \ norm: 87°

Aver Min: 69.6 \ norm 65

Mean: 80 \ norm 76

Hi Max: 102 Lo Max: 80 

Hi Min: 79 Lo Min: 63

Is that 2.6" total for just June and July alone or for the entire June to September period? Either way, those are impressive totals whether you received 2.6" or 4.61" for the summer.

Is that 2.6" total for just June and July alone or for the entire June to September period? Either way, those are impressive totals whether you received 2.6" or 4.61" for the summer.

I use the July to June rainyear but believe NWS is switching over to October to September.  July rainfall was 0.59 [Dolores] and over 2 inches from Linda.  I think my totals are lower than many other SoCal locations like USC and in Orange and San Diego counties.  

There still is a chance for some precipitation over the next 4 days but unlikely in SoCal

BY SAT NIGHT WE BEGIN TO FEEL THE EFFECTS OF A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING SOUTH ALONG THE CALIFORNIA COAST. THE TRAJECTORY OF THIS SYSTEM WILL HAVE TAKEN IT ACROSS ALASKA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA BEFORE IT MAKES ITS WAY INTO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BY LATE SUN. 
AS A RESULT...IT WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT COLD AIR SO WE EXPECT DAYTIME TEMPS IN THE 70S WEST OF THE MTNS ON SUN AND MON...WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 50S. THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO BRING ENOUGH MOISTURE FOR PERIODS OF SHOWERS SUN THROUGH MON...AND A DUSTING OF SNOW IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR THE HIGHEST PEAKS OF THE SAN BERNARDINO AND SAN JACINTO MTNS...ALTHOUGH ACCUMULATION IS UNLIKELY. STRONG AND GUSTY WEST WINDS WILL ALSO ACCOMPANY THIS SYSTEM.

Now this sounds like a pattern change! We haven't had highs in the 70's here in Orange for I don't know how long! This will be a refreshing change from the last 2 months of heat and humidity.

I use the July to June rainyear but believe NWS is switching over to October to September.  July rainfall was 0.59 [Dolores] and over 2 inches from Linda.  I think my totals are lower than many other SoCal locations like USC and in Orange and San Diego counties.  

There still is a chance for some precipitation over the next 4 days but unlikely in SoCal

I really prefer the July to June year for measuring rainfall because the previous year ends and the next near begins during what is historically the driest time of the year in Socal. It almost never rains at the end of June and the beginning of July, and any summer rainfall usually occurs later in the summer with this year even following that rule despite this summer's wetness.

BY SAT NIGHT WE BEGIN TO FEEL THE EFFECTS OF A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING SOUTH ALONG THE CALIFORNIA COAST. THE TRAJECTORY OF THIS SYSTEM WILL HAVE TAKEN IT ACROSS ALASKA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA BEFORE IT MAKES ITS WAY INTO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BY LATE SUN. 

AS A RESULT...IT WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT COLD AIR SO WE EXPECT DAYTIME TEMPS IN THE 70S WEST OF THE MTNS ON SUN AND MON...WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 50S. THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO BRING ENOUGH MOISTURE FOR PERIODS OF SHOWERS SUN THROUGH MON...AND A DUSTING OF SNOW IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR THE HIGHEST PEAKS OF THE SAN BERNARDINO AND SAN JACINTO MTNS...ALTHOUGH ACCUMULATION IS UNLIKELY. STRONG AND GUSTY WEST WINDS WILL ALSO ACCOMPANY THIS SYSTEM.

Now this sounds like a pattern change! We haven't had highs in the 70's here in Orange for I don't know how long! This will be a refreshing change from the last 2 months of heat and humidity.

...WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 50S.

Not sure if MOS agrees w/ 50's pretty much anywhere [see San Diego] but rain on Sunday/ Monday could really knock down maximums.  After nearly 2 weeks in the 90's, this weekend is going to feel great.  Also totally psyched about rainfall prospects; thank you, ECMWF

L: 69

SAN DIEGO

TODAY     FRI           SAT            SUN         MON     TUES       WED

SUNNY    SUNNY    SUNNY    SHWRS    PTCLDY   SUNNY    SUNNY   

/81           70/78      70/79        70/74     68/75       69/78          69/80   

/00      00/00      00/00         20/40          20/30       10/10         10/10  

• Like 1

Every model run is more impressive with the upper low plunging into California this weekend.  This will be the first North Pacific storm since May and could produce a fair amount of rainfall and even snowfall @ 7000'.

L: 66

I am looking forward to this weekend's storm. Rain chances for Orange County have been upped to 60-70% for Sunday and 50% for Sunday night and Monday. The warm SSTs may help to enhance rainfall totals if the storm has enough of an over-water trajectory.

Yes, it appears the best dynamics will be in SoCal due to available moisture.

85 / 66

Should be a good day tomorrow!

RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM ONE HALF TO ONE INCH

NEAR THE COAST TO 1 TO 2 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS EXCEEDING 4 INCHES ON THE SOUTH SLOPES OF THE SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS. RAINFALL AMOUNTS IN THE THE UPPER DESERTS WILL BE AROUND ONE THIRD INCH AND MOSTLY ONE TENTH INCH OR LESS IN THE LOWER DESERTS

CLEAR CREEK  3000 ft  : 1.16

Up on Angeles Crest highway above Altadena had over an inch earlier this morning.  I'm downslope from this exact location yet have only 0.06 so far.  Eujunga, did you record much rain?  I see that Burbank, Little Tujunga, San Rafael Hills were around 0.25.

The low is circling overhead.  I wish there was better moisture source.  The remnants of Hurricane Marty may help Phoenix score some impressive rain totals. 

L: 62  

I'm in Flagstaff this evening (where it's partly cloudy with no sign as yet of the possible severe weather mentioned in the forecast), but when I checked my weather station before I left Tujunga at 8:00 this morning, I'd gotten 0.24".

That appears comparable with other areas.  I did pick up another shower later in the morning but modest amounts were widespread.  Nonetheless, it was great to have some rainfall and cool cloudy conditions.  Several nearby stations dropped below 60 degrees during showers so we did break that temperature barrier in places.

Rain: 0.15

Rain year [jul-jun]: 2.75

70 / 62

It is really feeling fine; a great relief for California even though rainfall isn't that spectacular.  Still some cells off Orange/ San Diego and some nice buildups over Santa Monica bay this morning.  Maybe some wrap around moisture today.  Minimums should drop into the 50's this week [at least in the lowlands] before massive high pressure reminds us that it is October.    

L: 60

Opids is a boy scout camp directly above Pasadena at 3500'. 

OPIDS CAMP........................ 1.84
SAN ANTONIO DAM................... 1.00
MT BALDY.......................... 0.98
WEST FORK HELIPORT................ 0.98
SANTA ANITA DAM................... 0.94
CRYSTAL LAKE...................... 0.83
TANBARK........................... 0.73
INSPIRATION POINT................. 0.70
SIERRA MADRE...................... 0.52
CHILAO............................ 0.47
MILL CREEK SUMMIT................. 0.38
SAN GABRIEL DAM................... 0.35

• Like 1

Isn't that Opid site right in the vacinity of where the CA 24hr rainfall record was recorded?

I'm at 1.53"

Here's the high totals from south & east of the LA area, from SD NWS.

1. YUCAIPA RIDGE 2.99 9020

2. DEER CREEK DAM 1.65 2917

3. RUNNING SPRINGS PARK 1.41 5440

4. SMUGGLERS GULCH 1.38 74

5. CEDAR GLEN 1.38 5317

6. LYTLE CREEK CANYON 1.37 3060

7. CREST PARK 1.34 5624

8. MANZANITA FLATS 1.34 3920

9. MILL CREEK EAST 1.27 4420

10.RAINBOW CAMP 1.14 1553

• Like 1

When It Rains in L.A., It Pours at Opids Camp
The rustic camp high in the San Gabriel Mountains has gotten nearly 9 feet this season.
February 25, 2005 David Pierson | Times Staff Writer

At the wettest place on record in Los Angeles County, a school camp perched 3,600 feet above Pasadena, the water has so saturated the ground that the landscape appears to be in constant motion.

Water rolls down the steep stairways, trails and green-tiled roofs. Even when the rains subside, the water continues to trickle relentlessly from the towering Douglas fir and oak trees. Every surface appears to be coated in a 2-inch layer of liquid -- not quite stagnant water, not quite snow, more like a clear 7-Eleven Slurpee.

During the worst of this week's deluge, lightning struck the telephone lines with such frequency that an electrical surge caused the camp's phones to ring throughout the night.

"I couldn't sleep," said Howard Fineman, the camp's principal. "I'm hypersensitive about turning off the phone, because parents might be calling asking about their children."

While the L.A. Basin below is struggling with more than 33 inches of rain in what could end up being the wettest rainy season on record, Opids Camp in the Angeles National Forest had recorded 107 inches as of Thursday morning.

Meteorologists and weather enthusiasts look at the "Opids Camp" marker on weather maps with a mixture of astonishment and curiosity.

"They get more rain and snow than anyone else," said William Patzert, a meteorologist at Jet Propulsion Laboratory. "Among weather geeks, it's famous."

But for Fineman, his 34 employees and the fifth-graders from the Long Beach Unified School District who have made weeklong visits to the camp this season, the record precipitation has been more adventure than disaster.

The school district bought the facility in 1948 and uses it to teach students about biology, botany, zoology and ecology. Although the district renamed it Camp Hi-Hill, meteorologists and others interested in rainfall tallies still know it as Opids Camp.

Hiking has been canceled because many of the trails carry torrents of water. But the students still spend a lot of time outdoors. Creating a sea of bright yellow rain slickers, they make their way across the dark green landscape learning how to make rope, studying rocks and filtering water from a nearby stream.

Nathan Velasquez, 10, sat on a picnic bench this week bundled in a sweatshirt listening to his counselor describe to the class how their hands would eventually sting if they played with the snow for too long.

"I'm a little sick of being wet," Nathan said as droplets of water fell on him from the trees above.

A light snow that began to fall Tuesday evening enthralled the 160 children at the camp, most of whom had never seen such a sight. Many had prepared the best they could, layering T-shirts, track jackets and those yellow jackets.

"How often do we have to say, 'Get out of the mud, get out of the mud' at other places?" said Nora Campion, a teacher visiting from Willard Elementary School. "Here, we say, 'Go!' The boys just love the mud."

Frothy Bottleneck

Since the storms started, entering the camp has meant navigating two shallow but raging streams of icy-cold water that spill across the driveway and converge in a frothy bottleneck a foot deep before tumbling down a deep canyon.

The two dozen cabins cling to the steep hillside. The layout means that even in the heaviest downpours, there is little threat of flooding to the buildings because the water is channeled down the mountain. None of the mocha-colored wood cabins has suffered major flooding or leakage, though some lodgers have complained about ants looking for a dry sanctuary.

Nice - I thought that was the place! Thanks for sharing.

Could you image 107 inches at your place?  I recently purchased flood insurance even though I am on a hilltop.  The city repaved the road I live on and excessive water can wash up to my house.  I remember the winter of 2005; rain total at my station was 54" [probably the all time record for the area].

• Like 1

Could you image 107 inches at your place?  I recently purchased flood insurance even though I am on a hilltop.  The city repaved the road I live on and excessive water can wash up to my house.  I remember the winter of 2005; rain total at my station was 54" [probably the all time record for the area].

It would be glorious!  I moved here in Feb. 08 but local stations reported over 130 inches for 04/05 with each month from Jan-Mar at over 30".

Although I was here for the amazing week long non stop rain deluge of Dec. 2010 where I recorded 42" of rain over 7 days, most falling in a three day period: 10", 14" and 12" the last weekend in Dec. fri/sat/sun.  Local stations from Crestline, Lake Arrowhead & Running Springs ranged from 33" - 45" for the same timeframe....backcountry reports after the storm estimates over 20 feet of snow above 10k, temps at my place hovered in the high 30's to 40 the entire week with the occasional graupel / hail...

An afternoon thundershower dropped enough rain for NWS_LA to issue a flood advisory for the San Gabriel Valley.  USC recorded 0.32 w/ higher amounts east & south of downtown.  More rain today than with the initial system yesterday.

Rain: 0.20

Month: 0.35 

Year [jul-jun]: 2.95

76 / 60

NWS_LA

AND THEN AN ODD THING HAPPENS THE UPPER LOW THAT IS RIGHT NOW 
  EXITING THE STATE WILL COME BACK HAVING MADE A ROUND ABOUT TRIP 
  THROUGH AZ NM AND NRN MEXICO. ON MONDAY IT WILL BE SEVERAL HUNDRED 
  MILES TO THE SOUTHWEST OF L.A. AT THIS POINT IT WILL NOT AFFECT THE 
  WEATHER MUCH. IT MIGHT PUSH A FEW MID LEVEL CLOUDS UP OVER THE AREA 
  BUT OTHER WISE THE SLOW COOLING TREND WILL CONTINUE AS HGTS FALL TO 
  588 DM.

AT ONE POINT BOTH THE EC AND GFS AGREED THAT THIS UPPER LOW WOULD 
  BRING BUCKETS OF RAIN TO THE AREA TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. NOW 
  WHILE THE GFS IS STILL RATHER WET DURING THIS TIME...THE EC IS 
  TOTALLY DRY. THE EC PUSHES THE UPPER LOW FURTHER TO THE WEST. SO IT 
  WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW BOTH MDLS HANDLE THIS OVER THE NEXT 
  FEW DAYS.

Its been nice to have a few days in the 70's but nights have somehow managed to stay at 60° or slightly above.  October averages are similar to June [low 80's/ low 60's] so it is generally the last month of the warm season. 

78 / 60

Its been nice to have a few days in the 70's but nights have somehow managed to stay at 60° or slightly above.  October averages are similar to June [low 80's/ low 60's] so it is generally the last month of the warm season. 

78 / 60

The lowest temperature I have seen so far here in Orange is 59. I have a feeling that the air mass is being kept warmer by the elevated SSTs off our coast. Also the fact we haven't had any true offshore events yet has kept the humidity levels higher, even though they are not as high as they were back in September.

My location here in Orange only managed to pick up .09" from the last storm. Most of the convective activity seemed to miss the area for whatever reason.

We generally get rain in October but mostly toward the end of the month; I remember wet Halloweens.  The return of the upper low circulating back into California sounds like a fantasy forecast.  It would be great to get another storm or two in between offshore patterns.  Anyone recall if we had strong 'santa anas' last October/ November?

L: 63