2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

I was a bit farther afield than I usually go yesterday (South Gate) and it was well into the 90s there. Even at the beach it got to about 90, and it was pretty warm even at midnight. 

During a robust Santa Ana event in the late fall or winter it’s pretty common for a Southland weather station to be the hottest place in the nation, especially inland OC locations like Anaheim or Fullerton. Often the valleys are oddly cooler than the coastal plain during them.

Already getting hazier in the direction of PV, wouldn’t surprise me if the fog comes onshore again late this afternoon or early evening. Visibility between the South Bay coast looking south or southwest toward Catalina is a good indicator for the presence and strength of the marine inversion, I’ve found.

2 hours ago, Rainstorm420 said:

Remember the super powerful storms of January 2008, which was during a strong La Nina? I really hope we see that again. I recieved 8.00" of rain that month!

January_2008_North_American_Superstorm_a

Don't remember that one, but I do remember a big one that was a multiple day AR event in December 2010.

Marine push underway. Reached the SBC coasts and South Bay soon after noon and starting to arrive along the OC and SD coasts. All the warm air should be pushed out by tonight. Unlike the classic southerly surge that ends 90% of our heat waves, this one is coming straight out of the west ahead of a passing trough.