December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Lol!! Yep our winter is always 10 days out year after year. Good news we will get a great setup for some winter weather around March or April when it does not really matter. Enjoy the up coming event. Looks kinda cold and the inversion looks exiting. We might actually get an inch or two of snow. We will be talking about this for years to come! ;) --- woohoo!!

Posts like this just drive me insane! The operational GFS is actually good at day 6...the supposedly believable time frame.

Than having been said it worlds apart from the parallel which shows a massive inversion developing as a ridge moves in right over us. Thank goodness the models have moved away from the ominous mountain wave wind event they had been showing in previous runs. That made me more than a little bit nervous.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Let's not resort to name calling.

I do disagree with your use of "decent" though.

Pessimistic isn't really name calling. That is especially true when people are talking about something supposedly being la la land when it's actually shown in less than a week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ad noted by many other posters, the GFS is the clear outlier with an unrealistic output in the GoA.

I'm not so sure on this. I'm certainly not saying it will happen, but I see nothing that looks unrealistic.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

And the 18z GFS is orgasmic for WA for those keeping score.

Arctic air does make it south of Seattle by day 7, but there would be little snow verbatim. It's a very borderline setup, and it's the only model really still showing it.

Just keeping things realistic. The para, Euro, GEM all agree on the same general pattern developing. The UK model looks a little closer to the GFS at hour 120, I don't know what it would show beyond that.

A forum for the end of the world.

Eagerly awaiting the ensembles

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

If you want to get right down to it the GFS already shows the second wave being a lock at day 5.  It would be extraordinary to have it be so far off at that time frame, but it could happen.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Arctic air does make it south of Seattle by day 7, but there would be little snow verbatim. It's a very borderline setup, and it's the only model really still showing it.

Just keeping things realistic. The para, Euro, GEM all agree on the same general pattern developing. The UK model looks a little closer to the GFS at hour 120, I don't know what it would show beyond that.

Fair enough.  I'm just making the point the pattern is already pretty at day 5 to day 6 on the 18z.  That is pretty close for such huge model discrepencies.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Eagerly awaiting the ensembles

Me too.  I think we still have a shot at this.  I can't understand people just categorically saying it's over.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If you want to get right down to it the GFS already shows the second wave being a lock at day 5. It would be extraordinary to have it be so far off at that time frame, but it could happen.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/gfs_namer_126_500_vort_ht.gif

Yeah I agree. The GFS sees something the other models don't.

.. I'd say the valid for Saturday GFS graphic that you've tacked in above, looks like the best possible chance of something in line with what you want. And with this, that might actually occur looked at otherwise. But from that point forward I've got, leastwise, things cold moving more eastward as they move more south. Initially more gradually.

---

Me too. I think we still have a shot at this. I can't understand people just categorically saying it's over.

Honestly I think it's a huge longshot, but I am still hoping.

If you want to get right down to it the GFS already shows the second wave being a lock at day 5.  It would be extraordinary to have it be so far off at that time frame, but it could happen.

It's also the sort of pattern that could easily see the cold air hangup around the border. There isn't a strong forcing mechanism to cause it to push down.

I'm sure you're thinking I'm being overly negative, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

There is still time for the other models to flip again. Maybe 24 hours...I think the initial pattern progression will be resolved by then.

A forum for the end of the world.

Me too. I think we still have a shot at this. I can't understand people just categorically saying it's over.

Yeah, even the NWS Seattle latest AFD talks about how the models are in such disarray for next weekend and will be little or no resolve until later next week!! Models showed things shoving east just two days ago and brought it right back on the next model cycle and back and forth...ect. Looking at how far the PNA is tanking I would be very surprised not to see something.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's also the sort of pattern that could easily see the cold air hangup around the border. There isn't a strong forcing mechanism to cause it to push down.

I'm sure you're thinking I'm being overly negative, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

There is still time for the other models to flip again. Maybe 24 hours...I think the initial pattern progression will be resolved by then.

I appreciate you pointing out the difficulties we still face. It's people who say it's over without a doubt that drive me nuts.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Winterdog

Me too.  I think we still have a shot at this.  I can't understand people just categorically saying it's over.

The regular GFS was the last model to jump for the initial cold shot. It then caved to the Euro and others. I thought the 18Z would cave but it didn't. If the 0Z holds on then I might become a believer (not that anyone gives a rats butt).
  • Like 1

.. I'd say the valid for Saturday GFS graphic that you've tacked in above, looks like the best possible chance of something in line with what you want. And with this, that might actually occur looked at otherwise. But from that point forward I've got, leastwise, things cold moving more eastward as they move more south. Initially more gradually.

I'm glad to hear you think it's possible.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The regular GFS was the last model to jump for the initial cold shot. It then caved to the Euro and others. I thought the 18Z would cave but it didn't. If the 0Z holds on then I might become a believer (not that anyone gives a rats butt).

The one thing the GFS has going for it is consistency over the past several runs. It has shown the exact same progression for a while now and actually keeps moving it up.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They're not great. They do support the general progression the operational shows, but the mean is definitely warmer and more progressive.

They're not that bad either. Quite a few decent members. All look way better than the parallel.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jeez, I fall asleep watching Football, wake up, have to go help the neighbor lady, come home and load up 18z and got the Holiday Toots in my pants.. Incredible.. Before we all laugh and say it's an outlier, is it though? Follows similar Op runs 500mb progression with shortwave out ahead of the block scooting down the AK/BC Coast... Very believable progression. We'll have to wait to see what the Ensembles show and then 00z tonight... and then..... AND THEN....... AND...... right, yes, I did get carried away there. I am not changing my probabiltiies however.

5% chance full on regional Arctic blast
10-15% Back door blast into Columbia Basin/Fraser/Gorge
50-60% Block pinched off/Ridge shove inland

• Like 1

I have something to tell you guys. The mood has been really swinging on this forum for a week or so. I see most of us need to move outside of the Pacific Northwest to experience real winter instead of hoping and waiting for it to come in all the time. It is not healthy for doing that way. I lived in Calgary, Alberta for one year. It snowed instead of raining at 95% of time in the winter. We cant look at the previous events to think we are still able to see winter weather that lasts more than a week. I figure you guys need to accept that we might not see winter weather as often as 10 years ago or so again. Just try to look at models less and be more realistic or move to somewhere snowier outside of the PNW. Admittedly, I am still hoping for the second wave but I need to discipline myself to be realistic and not to let the mood from this forum get me.

• Like 1

I have something to tell you guys. The mood has been really swinging on this forum for a week or so. I see most of us need to move outside of the Pacific Northwest to experience real winter instead of hoping and waiting for it to come in all the time. It is not healthy for doing that way. I lived in Calgary, Alberta for one year. It snowed of raining at 95% of time in the winter. We cant look at the previous events to think we are still able to see winter weather that lasts more than a week. I figure you guys need to accept that we might not see winter weather as often as 10 years ago or so again. Just try to look at models less and be more realistic or move to somewhere snowier outside of the PNW. Admittedly, I am still hoping for the second wave but I need to discipline myself to be realistic and not to let the mood from this forum to get me.

You are totally correct.

My sanity has suffered from this climate.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The NWS is going for lows of 15 to 22 for this area Tuesday night. Pretty chilly.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They're not that bad either. Quite a few decent members. All look way better than the parallel.

One other element that I've looking at that might give you more solacewith emphasis, more current, if also along with where looking more aheadis colder air's more sluggish movement over-all. Or perhaps better put, force of movement. Where looking ahead more, I'm estimating that this idea will be in place and continue, through the 9th.

---

One other element that I've looking at that might give you more solacewith emphasis, more current, if also along with where looking more aheadis colder air's more sluggish movement over-all. Or perhaps better put, force of movement. Where looking ahead more, I'm estimating that this idea will be in place and continue, through the 9th.

Nice, so you think the reload will come and last through Jan. 9?

If you want to get right down to it the GFS already shows the second wave being a lock at day 5. It would be extraordinary to have it be so far off at that time frame, but it could happen.

But the European and Canadian models show no such "lock" in of bitter cold at day 5, so wouldn't it be extraordinary for both of those models to be "so far off at that time frame"?

As you often say, the side of the Euro is the side one would want to be on? Change of heart in that philosophy?

I appreciate you pointing out the difficulties we still face. It's people who say it's over without a doubt that drive me nuts.

I agree. The chance is there. But alarmist posts tend to hype up the more novice posters in here which leads to destructively (as well-documented the other day) when it does not pan out. Perhaps it's best to mention all probabilities when discussing an improbable event as opposed to selectively posting what one wants to see happen. A little objectivity will do everyone a favour!

The NWS is going for lows of 15 to 22 for this area Tuesday night. Pretty chilly.

Not historic but certainly significant. People will say "It's cold out today, isn't it Jim?" and go on with their day. But that sunshine and dry, crisp air is a beautiful thing. Moods will be high--hopefully in here, too!

I think the 18z broke the meteostar.

I agree. The chance is there. But alarmist posts tend to hype up the more novice posters in here which leads to destructively (as well documented the other day) when it does not pan out. Perhaps it's best to mention all probabilities when discussing an improbable event as opposed to selectively posting what one wants to see happen. A little objectivity will do everyone a favour!

You are absolutely right. I might be a little negative but that is from years of watching this stuff play out and would be thrilled to be totally wrong. That being said, if every model was showing what the GFS was but the GFS was showing a non-second event would we be thinking it could be the correct model? No, we would call it an outlier and be on board for an artic event. We see what we want to and are often not very realistic. Yes, there is still hope ... Always hope and would never attack anyone for thinking there is or is not, as their opinion does not change my own or upset me. I have been the biggest believer of this second event just skeptical and feel that is healthy.

Now I am watching and hoping for a miracle!