2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

5 hours ago, SpaceRace22 said:

Wow, I can't believe the NWS hasn't realized yet that the storm is going to get eaten up by dry air and dissipate before getting up here. They are going to look real silly when no moisture makes it up here. :(

You're still on this?

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

1 hour ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

We'll see what happens with Hilary. Meanwhile there's a #$@!ing mosquito in my room this morning making a high pitched buzz.

Welcome to my world. I had to buy a special spray and heavily bomb every room in my house with it to keep mosquitoes away, and it works. Mosquitoes that try to come in all drop dead onto the floor.

1 hour ago, Thunder98 said:

Now it looks like I will see very little rain now 😭

RIP

17 minutes ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

You're still on this?

He is very confident, I've been avoiding the subject since I'm not exactly 100% sure myself. But things are looking very much like we're going to take a nasty hit no matter what...only you and I are the only ones on here who look like we're going to get hit by the centerline of Hilary or get on Hilary's bad (east) side.

The fire stations near me are all giving out free sandbags in preparation for Hilary. I heard from relatives that they ran out yesterday, apparently everyone is grabbing them in droves. I'll see if I can pick up any sandbags today...

1 hour ago, Reg said:

He is very confident

He was being sarcastic, it was a snarky reply towards someone else who claimed that we're going to get shafted on this. I don't see why taking such big offense towards a post you disagree with is necessary, but I am not going to let a weather forum post live rent-free in my head like they do to him apparently. 

Honestly, the shift east in track, combined with the speed of the storm does seem like it will equal less rain than initially indicated. Still don't see the lack of moisture that the other guy (the one who SpaceRace was mocking) was talking about anywhere in the picture. 

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

7 hours ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

He was being sarcastic, it was a snarky reply towards someone else who claimed that we're going to get shafted on this. I don't see why taking such big offense towards a post you disagree with is necessary, but I am not going to let a weather forum post live rent-free in my head like they do to him apparently. 

Honestly, the shift east in track, combined with the speed of the storm does seem like it will equal less rain than initially indicated. Still don't see the lack of moisture that the other guy (the one who SpaceRace was mocking) was talking about anywhere in the picture. 

If anything, NWS actually bumped up both projected rainfall totals and peak wind gusts for us.

Cloudy here now.

3 hours ago, Reg said:

If anything, NWS actually bumped up both projected rainfall totals and peak wind gusts for us.

Cloudy here now.

I noticed that. I'm very surprised to see that they nudged the high risk over to us. I don't see anything to indicate that it'll be any wetter than when it was moderate, in fact quite the opposite.

29 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

Theres a very good chance that I will not see a single drop of rain. Such bs

Sorry, but at least you're not in danger like some of us.

Wind just started to kick up here. Still raining steadily. 0.30" since midnight.

4 minutes ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

It's been pretty consistent light rain for the past few hours here. I do think this will just be a routine rain event here.

I'm more concerned about potential damaging winds rather than rain here. That applies to your area as well as you're not that far north of me.

35 minutes ago, Reg said:

I'm more concerned about potential damaging winds rather than rain here. That applies to your area as well as you're not that far north of me.

We get worse winds every year during Santa Ana events, I'm not worried about it. Especially with the Eastward jog of the track. I grew up in hurricane country, I'd be surprised if we even got tropical storm force GUSTS, let alone sustained winds.

26 minutes ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

We get worse winds every year during Santa Ana events, I'm not worried about it. Especially with the Eastward jog of the track. I grew up in hurricane country, I'd be surprised if we even got tropical storm force GUSTS, let alone sustained winds.

My location in Murrieta is not prone to gusty winds at all, since 2014 the highest gust I've recorded was only 41 MPH. This event could be higher for me.

Granted, the weather stations in Riverside that I've serviced were all very wind-prone. You guys in Riverside are far more prone to typical Santa Anas than me.

Remember, late this morning through this afternoon are when the greatest impacts from Hilary are expected to hit us.

13 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Hurricane Hilary is no more. Downgraded to a tropical storm, with max winds of 70 mph.

By the time it reaches CA, the winds should be pretty weak.

Maybe. The tornado threat over my area remains at large, however.

8 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

The eye should hit San Diego County around 3 PM today 

Probably earlier than that