3/10 - 3/11 Possible Snowstorm

Tom

UK has jumped sw, now has best snow from Lincoln southward..  Omaha doesn't even get 0.20" precip this run.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/accum/PA_000-060_0000.gif

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Someone in the OAX area could see WSW criteria if trends continue well. Gotta get the Euro on board first.

I can see that happening, esp with the GEFS trending wetter for OMA/LNK...

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gefs/2017030912/066/qpf_acc.conus.png

12z Euro seems to be a bit late coming in. Typically starts to come in about now. This will definitely be a nailbiter, if the Euro is on board this storm is basically gonna happen.

GEFS also pleases me. All but 3 or 4 members seem to give us >2".

EDIT: Euro starting to come in finally.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'd go with 3-6" with isolated spots up to 8". The snowfall rates are what may drive the NWS offices to issue a warning if trends continue.

I have to agree. Euro is a weak outliar right now, especially looking at the fact that no other models are trending weak right now and we're about 36 hours out from the onset. Wouldn't be surprised to see a watch issued after 18z runs come out if those said trends continue.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

first time this winter I've had the "heavy snow" wording in my forecast. Also highest amount forecasted for one storm for me. I hope it verifies! I've already promised my daughter we'd go sledding on Saturday morning!

Friday Night
Snow, mainly after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. East wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 29. East wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
  • Like 2

first time this winter I've had the "heavy snow" wording in my forecast. Also highest amount forecasted for one storm for me. I hope it verifies! I've already promised my daughter we'd go sledding on Saturday morning!

Friday Night
Snow, mainly after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. East wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 29. East wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

OAX still doesn't like LNK. Don't see why they are treating Omaha so well and Lincoln so poorly when most models have trended towards giving at least both semi-healthy amounts. They have us getting an inch and that's it.

Friday Night
Snow likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 21. East wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Saturday
A 50 percent chance of snow, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 33. East wind 6 to 9 mph.

The HWO is also very confident that areas West of LNK will not see much snow, which GFS and Euro have both suggested the contrary.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY

A band of snow is forecast to develop across the area Friday night

into Saturday morning. Highest accumulations are expected over

eastern Nebraska into southwest Iowa where three to six inches is

possible. Trace to two inch amounts are forecast for the western

parts of the outlook area from Albion to Lincoln to Beatrice

westward.

Remember to follow the forecast through the event and expect some

forecast changes.

Kind of surprised that there's not even an HWO for OAX at this point.

OAX is always freaky about HWOs and I have never understood it. There was one time where they put the HWO up on the homepage and both sections said "No hazardous weather is expected." Yet some thing like this comes up and they don't put it on the homepage. Here's the HWO for today if you want to see it:

FLUS43 KOAX 092128

HWOOAX

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE

328 PM CST Thu Mar 9 2017

IAZ043-055-056-069-079-080-090-091-NEZ011-012-015>018-030>034-

042>045-050>053-065>068-078-088>093-101130-

Monona-Harrison-Shelby-Pottawattamie-Mills-Montgomery-Fremont-

Page-Knox-Cedar-Thurston-Antelope-Pierce-Wayne-Boone-Madison-

Stanton-Cuming-Burt-Platte-Colfax-Dodge-Washington-Butler-

Saunders-Douglas-Sarpy-Seward-Lancaster-Cass-Otoe-Saline-

Jefferson-Gage-Johnson-Nemaha-Pawnee-Richardson-

328 PM CST Thu Mar 9 2017

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST

IOWA...WEST CENTRAL IOWA...EAST CENTRAL NEBRASKA...NORTHEAST

NEBRASKA AND SOUTHEAST NEBRASKA.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT AND FRIDAY

No hazardous weather is expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY

A band of snow is forecast to develop across the area Friday night

into Saturday morning. Highest accumulations are expected over

eastern Nebraska into southwest Iowa where three to six inches is

possible. Trace to two inch amounts are forecast for the western

parts of the outlook area from Albion to Lincoln to Beatrice

westward.

Remember to follow the forecast through the event and expect some

forecast changes.

Snow, or a mixture of rain and snow, will also be possible Sunday

into early Monday. Highest accumulations are expected across

southwest Iowa and far northeast Nebraska where two to three

inches are possible. Snow totals will decrease with westward

extent across the forecast area.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation will not be needed today or tonight.

$

Wow... 00z Euro brings one of the biggest shifts I've ever seen. It keeps the trend of the highest totals not being in a snowband, but more in a big flat blob. Peak total is 5" near Hebron, NE, aka by the KS border on US-81. Needless to say, this one will be a nailbiter, and it will continue to be one as RAP and HRRR come into range.

I wouldn't sweat it much. Euro hasn't been very good all winter. We shall see in the next 24 hours.

Oh trust me, you're right about the Euro not doing well. And none of the NWS offices are listening to it either. Definitely agree with the max totals, but the track is completely unrealistic to me, especially since it is the only model to be further West. I am saying it will be a nailbiter much like every system has this Winter. We know what the best snowfall amounts should be. Question is where will they be? We'll have to wait tomorrow to get more hints.

Well this sucks. Went from a full blown storm to maybe nothing in two model runs. Looks like our lowest seasonal snowfall record may not be safe after all.

If the air were a bit more humid we'd be looking at better chances. If the air DOES get more humid, not all hope is lost.

How much more poorly could the models have handled this?? More importantly the GFS. If we get zilch then the GFS really friggin sucked. EURO actually handled it quite well.

On the other hand, Jim Flowers mentioned that "dry air" isn't a factor because this is a WAA type of snow with plenty of moisture. Then again this is also the guy that predicted above average snowfall this winter so....

How much more poorly could the models have handled this?? More importantly the GFS. If we get zilch then the GFS really friggin sucked. EURO actually handled it quite well.

On the other hand, Jim Flowers mentioned that "dry air" isn't a factor because this is a WAA type of snow with plenty of moisture. Then again this is also the guy that predicted above average snowfall this winter so....

Dry air is a ton to overcome. Doesn't mean we won't see a single snowflake, but the dry air that limited our snow during the last system will do the same for this one.

Nice band moving through tonight. Definitely outperformed the models from this morning. May end up with a good half inch or an inch from this band. Sad, that an inch is outperformance!

The Des Moines nws tweeted they had 1.2" so far.  Some models went so dry they removed all snow, so that was clearly wrong.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ha! The NWS has completely removed the snow chances for tonight and tomorrow. In about 36 hours we went from 100% snow, heavy snow possible, and 4-7" forecast to now not even getting any measurable snow. What a change in the models. Not sure what the GFS was smoking this entire week.