Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

East and Gulf Coast Weather 2018

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20067 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
DCA up to 4” on the day, 7.7” for the season. Still a super low number, but at least we’re outside “disaster” territory.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018
90+ degree days: 5
Thunderstorm Days: 5
Severe Days: 1
Total rainfall: 1.77”
Highest Gust: 54mph
Warmest High: 94.6*F
Warmest low: 65.5*F

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
The first half of April looks to really suck on data.

Phil

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
After tomorrow’s upper 70’s, it might actually snow again next week. Would be into April at that point.

Sometimes you just have to lol and roll with it.
  • iFred likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

After tomorrow’s upper 70’s, it might actually snow again next week. Would be into April at that point.
Sometimes you just have to lol and roll with it.

better yet just roll the eyes 🙄 at mother nature :lol:

Phil

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
It’s 72.1*F here as of 10:40pm. Feels like May but it’s just a tease.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Pretty heavy winds and downpours blowing through with the front. Temperature down to 62*F and dropping as of 12:45pm.

High was 75.1*F, occurring around 12:20pm.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Lol.

poJOJoa.jpg

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
A few decent gusts roaring through this afternoon. Strong enough to shake the house a bit.

There was a set of three gusts earlier that were probably into advisory criteria. Very pulsy.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
Our last Rain event only gave us 2" of rain, but it was slow and soaked in.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

iFred

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

I just had my trip to Texas canceled. I thought I was going to enjoy some thunderstorms on Monday, but given the recent snow forecasts, I am going to enjoy a couple more inches of snow.

Phil

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts

I just had my trip to Texas canceled. I thought I was going to enjoy some thunderstorms on Monday, but given the recent snow forecasts, I am going to enjoy a couple more inches of snow.

We might not be done after this one, lol. A few more more chances through April 10th.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

We might not be done after this one, lol. A few more more chances through April 10th.

the fact the data have snow threats even April 8th next weekend is :lol:

iFred

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts
The snow delta on tonight’s event is pretty wide for my town north of Philly. We seem to be in the range of 2” all the way up to 6”.

Going to be a fun morning.

Phil

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:53 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Rain to wintry mix this morning. Now cloudy and damp.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts

Foggy this morning. Looking at high winds later today with gusts up to 60mph.

Phil

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Howling out there..5 minute sustained of 43mph gusting to 52mph on the ultrasonic anemometer.

Morning high of 70*F, down to 58*F now.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Peak sustained wind @ IAD was 40mph, with a peak gust of 51mph. So very similar to here, as usual.

East of the Fall Line, BWI hit 47mph, DCA hit 46mph.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts

Had a 60mph gust in Doylestown, just to my east. I'd guestimate we had a few 50mph gusts in Lansdale, but the damage seems to be limited at best.

Now to cross fingers for the weekend.

Andie

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
Cherry Blossoms may be short lived.

The latest weather forecast models are predicting anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow by Sunday morning, beginning late Friday night, April 6 (all forecast graphics courtesy of Weatherbell.com):

http://www.drroyspen...t-by-peak-snow/

Attached File  IMG_3070.JPG   102.72KB   0 downloads

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Phil

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Should mostly miss south. Some intermittent snow showers are possible.

Cold front is on the doorstep, though. High was 73*F today but tomorrow will probably struggle to hit 40*F.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

weatherfan2012

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:43 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Cherry Blossoms may be short lived.
The latest weather forecast models are predicting anywhere from 6 to 18 inches of snow by Sunday morning, beginning late Friday night, April 6 (all forecast graphics courtesy of Weatherbell.com):
http://www.drroyspen...t-by-peak-snow/
attachicon.gifIMG_3070.JPG

early in the week the data was showing that but as has been the trend the whole winter now carrying over to spring the models are to amp strong with the storms 5 to 7 days out and ends up much weaker and to the south or to far north where we get mostly miss.some years have a tendcey to repeat them selfs and it has certainly done that this year.

weatherfan2012

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Should mostly miss south. Some intermittent snow showers are possible.
Cold front is on the doorstep, though. High was 73*F today but tomorrow will probably struggle to hit 40*F.

still this is getting pretty ridiculous for April this is kind of a slap in the face after a sort of crappy winter.

Andie

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
Going down to 38* tonight, damp, cold, windy. Nearly froze me arse off going to the store today.
High of 86* by Thursday. That should be sufficient to kill half of us off. Really, this winter has been seriously weird here this year.

I don't think I have been this chilled in a Texas winter. Windy, just a misery.
  • Observer likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Lol.poJOJoa.jpg

That all that this turned out being was :lol: by the models they did terrible with the storm yesterday even the south it was very weak.

Phil

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Sucks they still haven’t replaced the Dolly Sods weather station (was taken out by the March 2nd windstorm).

Was one of the good ones, up on one of those exposed ridgetop communities. Though you’d think given the frequency of hurricane force winds they’d have better hardware. 😒

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Beautiful day today. Temperatures easily rising through the mid-70s, dewpoints waaay down in the 30s, and a regionwide blizzard of cherry blossom petals.

Becoming gusty, though. Red Flag Warning issued for said low humidity, winds to 40mph, and the resultant decrease in fuel moisture values (8-10%).

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:26 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
The areas of the Panhandles of Texas, Oklahoma, and northern Colorado into Arizona are dealing with drought. This drought is expected to intensify and expand this year.

Fire season is upon us and having lived around wildfire I am not looking forward to this summer. I live SW of Ft. Worth and we have already had a 2000 acre fire just down the road from us. A 500 acre fire is big, so anything beyond that grows exponentially. Oklahoma just battled a 120,000 acre wildfire last night.

We have scattered showers today but it was preceded with some large lightning strikes capable of setting off wildfires. Buckle up.

http://droughtmonito...CurrentMap.aspx

Phil

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
High of 87*F here today. Too fast!

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

OKwx2k4

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:46 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

The areas of the Panhandles of Texas, Oklahoma, and northern Colorado into Arizona are dealing with drought. This drought is expected to intensify and expand this year.

Fire season is upon us and having lived around wildfire I am not looking forward to this summer. I live SW of Ft. Worth and we have already had a 2000 acre fire just down the road from us. A 500 acre fire is big, so anything beyond that grows exponentially. Oklahoma just battled a 120,000 acre wildfire last night.

We have scattered showers today but it was preceded with some large lightning strikes capable of setting off wildfires. Buckle up.

http://droughtmonito...CurrentMap.aspx

Anywhere west of I-35 is going to be a disaster this year in my state, I'm afraid. If it were any other state it would be a national disaster but "Oh well, it's just Oklahoma, they're used to it." Lol.

Careful down there, friend. I remember the Bastrop fires years ago and that was awful. A bunch of men in my little company that I worked for here at the time sent aid for all of those folks. It was really sad.

OKwx2k4

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:55 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Wow! That's toasty man. I'm kinda thinking I may end up in the "Goldilocks" spot here in the Ozarks this warm season. We'll see though. I hope you do not get hammered with heatwaves this summer, given that I know neither of us care for heat that much. Stay cool.
  • Phil and Andie like this

Andie

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
Despite the rain we received this year Texas is seeing a serious fire threat future.
All of the SW will be battling fires. This will be hard on ranchers, farmers and food prices.

This is just this week. The affected territory will grow.
Winds are high currently and no rain in sight

Attached File  IMG_3075.GIF   24.69KB   0 downloads

Andie

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Anywhere west of I-35 is going to be a disaster this year in my state, I'm afraid. If it were any other state it would be a national disaster but "Oh well, it's just Oklahoma, they're used to it." Lol.
Careful down there, friend. I remember the Bastrop fires years ago and that was awful. A bunch of men in my little company that I worked for here at the time sent aid for all of those folks. It was really sad.

Thank you my friend. The Bastrop fires were just horrendous. We are very concerned. The Panhandle fires recently were very chilling as 3 good people lost their lives, a young nurse and 2 young farmers that were trying to save their herd.
In 2010 there was a fire that began in Bowie Texas and raced all the way to Nokona. It only took 15 minutes to destroy all that land. With the 2000 acre fire near me this year we are all on the lookout.
I'm lucky that I'm surrounded on the windward side by a golf course and their sprinklers. It saved us once, maybe it will again.

weatherfan2012

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

yeah we went from winter and snow to summer like temps in a flip of a switch :lol:
  • Observer likes this

Phil

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
We were awoken to an explosive clap of thunder a few hours ago. Some epic ducting under the inversion. Gf and family are back to sleep, but I’m still wide-eyed.

Racked up 2” of rain in 2hrs..total of 2.21” since midnight, 2.30” for the event in total. Might hit 2.5” before the cold front blows through.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
The 40-50mph winds last night tore off most of the flowers. Came from the wrong direction (E/SE) so the trees didn’t handle it very well. Lots of limbs downed and many trees uprooted, as their root systems grow to withstand W/NW winds.

Now westerly winds have returned behind the cold front, some periods of rain/sleet sneaking over the mountains during the last few hours (the ridges are currently experiencing quite the upslope blizzard).

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
With all the wind you guys have received this year, I'm surprised you have any trees standing.
  • Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Had a gusty snow shower ~ 30mins ago.

Haha, wow. If this pattern had occurred in January, it would have been one heck of a winter.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Beautiful afternoon, high of 62.6*F with light winds and sunshine.

Looks like another breezy day behind the cold front tomorrow, but my hunch is downsloping overwhelms the cold advection just long enough for temps to approach 60*F. So hopefully not as brutal as yesterday.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Looks like Snowshoe WV gusted to 63mph with the frontal passage just now.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Showery today, a bit breezy since 11AM too.

Winchester gusted to 55mph, so there are some higher gusts out west. Whether or not they make it here remains to be seen.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:25 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
There's no doubt that North Texas has had a cooler than usual April to date. I don't have to be a met to observe that plants are behind in their growth and I'm chilled outside many/most days.

We've had a lot of wind this month as well. It just roars. They've begun issuing driving warnings due to wind speed. This will add to the wildland wildfire danger as the drought west, may expand to North Texas.
  • Phil likes this

Andie

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
Rain mañana !

That is all.

iFred

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts

Just got back from Denver, were I saw mid 70's and snow in a span of 24 hours, to New York, where its in the upper 50s and rainy and somehow muggy at the same time.

Andie

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
55* Light shower. Low of 46*.

A nice English spring day.

Phil

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Beautiful day yesterday. High of 71*F with low humidity and bright sunshine. 😎

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

iFred

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2402 posts

Had a line of weak thunderstorms with a decent shelf cloud move over New York yesterday. Back in Philly with temps in the mid 50s and partly sunny skies. Enjoying this before the humidity is at 100%.

Phil

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Low of 32.7*F this morning. Hopefully not cold enough to cause problems for the hybrid willows we just planted.

Now in the mid-60s with dewpoints crashing into the teens/low 20s on downsloping.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Phil

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Might get our first 90*F high of the year this week.

Thankfully, humidity looks pretty low through the duration of the warm spell..dewpoints peak in the low 60’s on most guidance, and that’s right before the frontal passage. Most of the time, dews are in the 50s. So, looks pretty tolerable overall.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream

Andie

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2087 posts
I'm 80* windy, rain on the way, maybe severe on Thursday.

So glad to see rain, with drought on your doorstep, rain's always good.

Phil

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 20067 posts
Too warm. Could hit 90 degrees today. At least the humidity is low.

Potentially some very interesting developments in the regional climate department, though. The North Atlantic appears to be entering into a cold event of some sort. I’m not sure whether it’s a short term or long term thing, but the implications of the circulation associated with said events favor reduced hurricane activity, an expanded PV/Arctic cold pool in eastern Canada during the winter/spring, deep convection of the subarctic NATL waters, and eventual cooling and ice growth across the NE-Canada/NATL domain.

Warm Season 2018

Live Weather Stream