2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

It gets dark faster at this time of the year than any other time of the year except for the spring equinox, where it gets dark at at the same rate as today. Also we have a greater rate of daylight loss per day now than any other time of the year.

Anyway, it was a nice final evening of astronomical summer.

Summer ended 23 days ago.

Meteorological vs. astronomical debate. Due to the persistence of summer-like weather in our part of the country well into mid-to-late September during most years, I'm siding with Mr Marine Layer here. In some years, September was the warmest month of the year here.

Offshore flow to spike temperatures tomorrow.

Meteorological vs. astronomical debate. Due to the persistence of summer-like weather in our part of the country well into mid-to-late September during most years, I'm siding with Mr Marine Layer here. In some years, September was the warmest month of the year here.

Offshore flow to spike temperatures tomorrow.

Yeah but adjusting the official start of fall and having it tailored to the seasonal lag of each particular region would get pretty confusing. I find it's just easier to use the meteorological definition across the board. Especially since this is a meteorology forum

Yeah but adjusting the official start of fall and having it tailored to the seasonal lag of each particular region would get pretty confusing. I find it's just easier to use the meteorological definition across the board. Especially since this is a meteorology forum

Even the forecast discussion wished a happy first day of fall this morning.

Fastest change in solar declination does not happen until a few days after the Fall Equinox becuase the orbit of the earth is an ellipse with its fastest speed in January. This also makes the astronomical fall and winter a bit shorter than the astronomical spring and summer in the Northern Hemisphere.