May 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Maybe it's time for another forecast contest. Third time's a charm? ;)

For July? Better do it soon before the GFS starts dipping into it.

Problem with you is your forecasts never match your rhetoric.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yeah, that is getting specific enough where you could actually be pinned down if wrong. Would want to avoid that.

Right.

Very warm mid-March through mid-May. Then cooler and wetter from mid-May until possibly mid-June. Hard to determine if that was correct.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

These are the best analogs in terms of SSTAs, observed tendencies in forcing/circulation, and historical statistical tendencies based on these observations. Note the overall progression:

April:

image.png

May:

image.png

June:

image.png

July:

image.png

August:

image.png

September:

image.png

For July? Better do it soon before the GFS starts dipping into it.

Problem with you is your forecasts never match your rhetoric.

Does that last part mean that since I like cool weather, you would always expect my forecasts to skew cool? Joke's on you I guess. It is frustrating when people don't conform to your condescending ideas about them. :)

Does that last part mean that since I like cool weather, you would always expect my forecasts to skew cool? Joke's on you I guess. It is frustrating when people don't conform to your condescending ideas about them. :)

You are saying the same thing to me right now as Matt is saying to you.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Phil will tell me for the thousandth time that I am wrong about JAS. Got it. Check back in September and let the chips fall where they may.

If I am right then it was a lucky guess... if I am wrong then I will be mocked for doubting. Perfect.

I can't say you're "wrong" about anything until the chips actually fall.

I'm just curious as to what analogs you're using, because you're telling me that your forecast is based on historical precedence. When I look at the highest-performing analogs, I get a completely different solution.

Somebody should make a summer forecast thread for the monthly anomalies for June-September at BLI, SEA, OLM, PDX, SLE, and EUG (or whatever choice of stations you'd rather use). 

It would be interesting to have some hard numbers to look at come October, though by then people might not care at all since we'll be heading into a Nina winter.

• Like 1

Somebody should make a summer forecast thread for the monthly anomalies for June-September at BLI, SEA, OLM, PDX, SLE, and EUG (or whatever choice of stations you'd rather use).

It would be interesting to have some hard numbers to look at come October, though by then people might not care at all since we'll be heading into a Nina winter.

I actually have been thinking about doing just that.

I agree. Let's do it.

As many stations as possible would be best.

These are the best analogs in terms of SSTAs, observed tendencies in forcing/circulation, and historical statistical tendencies based on these observations. Note the overall progression:

April:

image.png

May:

image.png

June:

image.png

July:

image.png

August:

image.png

September:

Seems plausibleish.

• Like 1

What analogs are you using?

In this case, for July to blowtorch, you'll need Pacific/W-HEM forcing, with IO/MT subsidence. Otherwise, it's not happening.

With the collapse of this Nino and shifting regime, any WHem forcing would be short lived as the upper air configuration wouldn't support it. I agree fully with you here

• Like 1

July will blowtorch... JAS will average slightly above normal. Sticking with it... not because of what I want but because it's what I think based on history. Spring of 2017 will be cold and wet. Not sure how I can forecast that since it's the opposite of what I want. Hope I am wrong!

Nothing wrong with making this prediction, I'm just hoping you'll give some criteria for what kind of "blowtorch" you expect. You obviously feel confident here, so don't give yourself room to back pedal down the road.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with making this prediction, I'm just hoping you'll give some criteria for what kind of "blowtorch" you expect. You obviously feel confident here, so don't give yourself room to back pedal down the road.

Not super confident... obviously we would need to define it. Out and about right now.

You're not going to get everyone on here to forecast all those stations. Guarantee it. There are several posters who pretty much only care about and forecast for PDX.

That's silly. What's the point of participating if you're afraid to step out of your comfort zone?

Heck, I live on the other side of the continent.

Today 33 years ago was the start of a disturbingly warm stretch in the PNW.

The 104 that Oregon City hit on the 28th was one for the ages. Hell, downtown Portland hit 103. Earliest widespread 100+ event in western lowlands. 

I remember my parents telling me about that year. They lived in Ashford, WA, at the time, and apparently saw some snow 2 weeks before hitting 100 in May 1983.

A forum for the end of the world.

Not sure how you can say this then say you're not super confident?

Just making a prediction... not representative of confidence.

That's silly. What's the point of participating if you're afraid to step out of your comfort zone?

Heck, I live on the other side of the continent.

I think everyone would participate, if those were the rules.

Rained the entire day yesterday and this morning. Had a nice 3-4 hour break this afternoon and now some heavy rain falling. Looks like Salem picked up almost a half inch of rain this afternoon. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I think everyone would participate, if those were the rules.

Yeah, I don't envision a participation issue.

• Like 1

That's one bizzare-looking pattern on the 00z GFS. Big battle between the tropical forcing transition(s) and poleward residual niño inertia.

Eventually, La Niña will emerge victorious.

That's one bizzare-looking pattern on the 00z GFS. Big battle between the tropical forcing transition(s) and poleward residual niño inertia.

Eventually, La Niña will emerge victorious.

This run definitely wants to keep us in the default trough position into early June.

The 00Z ECMWF keeps us pretty much cloudy and occasionally damp for the next 6 days.    Sunny interludes and couple totally dry days in a row are overrated in the warm season.  Be nice to have a pattern with a day of rain and then a couple warmer (but not hot), totally sunny days.    That is a good warm season balance.  But its all or nothing around here.   

I think this troughy period will have about run its course in a week to 10 days.

The 00Z ECMWF keeps us pretty much cloudy and damp for the next 6 days. Sunny interludes and couple totally dry days in a row are overrated in the warm season. Be nice to have a pattern with a day of rain and then a couple warmer, totally sunny days mixed in. But its all or nothing around here.

I think this troughy period will have about run its course in a week to 10 days.

Insane.

Absolutely liver-eating-with-a-nice-Chianti insane.

When will it end???????????????