2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

The low clouds are already pushing onshore in San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. Downtown L.A. only showing 74 F, which would be May-like, but looks like their thermometer went kaput this morning since 9:53 AM is the last reading. It is looking like earlier models which showed the West Coast heat wave for all places except West of the mountains in Southern California could be correct.

July 2017

Aver Max: 90.0° / Norm: 88

Aver Min: 67.3° / Norm: 65 

Mean: 78.6°

Max Hi/Lo: 101/ 82

Min Hi/Lo: 75/ 62

H Degree Day: 0

C. Degree Days: 425

Rain: 0.00

The low clouds are already pushing onshore in San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. Downtown L.A. only showing 74 F, which would be May-like, but looks like their thermometer went kaput this morning since 9:53 AM is the last reading. It is looking like earlier models which showed the West Coast heat wave for all places except West of the mountains in Southern California could be correct.

The heat forecast for Socal west of the mountains is just typical heat for this time of year and is not a heatwave just as you were saying. Portland, Oregon, on the other hand, is going to have a heatwave with 3 days at or over 100 degrees.

Smoke from Lake Elsinore fire was visible this afternoon.

I saw this large cloud buildup above my neighbor's house earlier this afternoon, and didn't know at first whether it was a developing thunderstorm or a pyrocumulus cloud from a fire. I even saw it from a webcam from near Temecula, but still couldn't quite make it out. Then I heard about the Elsinore fire later and figured that is what I saw earlier.

Active night inland w/ showers moving west into Los Angeles this morning. The ground is damp; radar shows rain/ virga moving over La Crescenta currently.

Photo outside Hemet earlier

post-226-0-78800500-1501602959_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Rain was reported from the deserts to the coastline today though highest amounts in the mountains, naturally. More outflow from disturbances to the east and south into tomorrow. Warm humid night. 

CHULA VISTA [ele: 65'] : 76 / 68 / 0.07 /

ALPINE [1695] : 94 / 68 / 1.52 /

TEMECULA [1020] : 96 / 68 / 0.40 /

ANGELUS OAKS [5800] : 79 / 61 / 1.00 /

IMPERIAL [-56] : 108 / 84 / 0.04 /

• Like 2

Cloud shield may weaken convective possibility but also keep the temp in check. It cleared up yesterday afternoon allowing  the temp to soar. :o

*PASADENA        N/A     88  72  58 E6          N/A  HX  94          

post-226-0-71473600-1501701320_thumb.jpg

I wrote:

We got a quarter inch here at the base of Santiago when the storm blew through.

Right elevation/ right spot :)

Yep.

Here's a post from the local 'Next Door' forum:

Someone wrote:

"I got onto Santiago Canyon Road about 4:00 give or take 30 minutes (already on canyon time). Hit stretches from the lake to near Williams where the downpour was so strong you could barely see 20 feet and cars were stopping in the road. Got to the final stretch coming up to Modjeska and there were patches of blue showing overhead and to the south. Local weather on a micro scale."

• Like 1

Yep.

Someone wrote:

"I got onto Santiago Canyon Road about 4:00 give or take 30 minutes (already on canyon time). Hit stretches from the lake to near Williams where the downpour was so strong you could barely see 20 feet and cars were stopping in the road. Got to the final stretch coming up to Modjeska and there were patches of blue showing overhead and to the south. Local weather on a micro scale."

Elevation gets the goods again.

NWS_SD

_________________________501 PM WEDNESDAY_________________________

.TOP RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM ALL ZONES

STATION              PRECIP(IN)    ELEVATION(FT)

1. LA JOLLA ERN TANKS     2.33            3000

2. PALOMAR MOUNTAIN RAWS  1.71            5530

3. PALOMAR OBSERVATORY    1.65            5560

4. LA JOLLA AMAGO         1.64            2400

5. BIRCH HILL             1.36            5645

6. MOUNT LAGUNA RAWS      1.07            5760

7. HENSHAW DAM            0.87            2750

8. MT LAGUNA              0.68            6000

9. SANTA YSABEL           0.33            2990

10.SKY OAKS               0.29            4970

Yep.

Someone wrote:

That's just a few miles SE of where I live here in Orange, and that area is much more rural than the rest of Orange County being at the base of the Santa Ana Mountains. I had only light showers yesterday afternoon with some thunder and lightning. There was one loud crack of thunder overhead that immediately followed a flash of lightning. Only 0.02" fell here at my place in Orange, but it sounds as if the Silverado Canyon, Williams Canyon and Modjeska Canyon area got quite a downpour.