2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

There was an office park in Orange that my dad used to work at a long time ago when I was a kid living in Orange. It was a really nice place with lots of trees and water, and we would go for walks there pretty often on weekends before I moved to Lake Forest in 1990. As a kid I called it the Brown House because at that time all the buildings were painted brown. They later made them tan, which was not as nice, but still it was a beautiful place. Last December I went to see it for the first time in a long time as it brought back memories. Little did I know, this was the last time I'd ever see it, because today it's gone.

Pictures below from December 27, 2018.

20190727_081623.jpg

20190727_081712.jpg

20190727_081920.jpg

20190727_081848.jpg

The last picture shows that the tenants are starting to move things out. There were lots of offices here, which means lots of people had to move to new offices.

They are going to replace the whole thing with some new apartments. They have already demolished it and it's just a pile of dirt now surrounded by a black construction fence.

• Like 1

Marine layer has its favorite inland hangout spots which are up the Northern California coast from Eureka to Crescent City, the curved shoreline of Monterey Bay, where it usually comes into Salinas early each afternoon, the curved coast near the Los Angeles Airport sometimes, and an area just south of the border where the shoreline is a little crooked. These must be areas with not many hills near the shoreline to reduce the sea breeze. In Orange County the shoreline is rather steep making the waves a little bigger and the water a little rougher than much of San Diego County.

What else is there to say about this boring weather pattern, where we only had one true week of monsoonal weather west of the mountains so far this summer? While inland has been hot, the persistent trough off the PNW coast is probably keeping the beaches foggy this year and the monsoonal moisture mostly out of our area.