2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Finally some good news down there!

After the good rains we got back in March to mid-April, it seemed the weather switched to something more reminiscent of July here in coastal and inland coastal Socal over the last several days. It is much cooler today than it has been recently, but I am not ready for all this heat just yet. I'm simply hoping for a more typical spring pattern before the summer heat sets in when it should, which is the end of June or early July.

• Like 2

After the good rains we got back in March to mid-April, it seemed the weather switched to something more reminiscent of July here in coastal and inland coastal Socal over the last several days. It is much cooler today than it has been recently, but I am not ready for all this heat just yet. I'm simply hoping for a more typical spring pattern before the summer heat sets in when it should, which is the end of June or early July.

I'm hoping this warmer than average weather doesn't persist all the way into late June either, and I don't think it will (looks like it did in 1992 and 1997). This late April temperature spike is similar to one we had at the same time in 2004.

It warmed up again today with a high of 94F at my house, compared to yesterday's 87F.

• Like 1

With continued, varying stages of heat and high pressure plus no rain in sight, there's a decent chance that we may have no additional precipitation through June 30th. It was a strange, uneven rainy season, but we in Southern California mostly fared slightly above average for the season. Northern California was much less fortunate. I'm admittedly disappointed over just how close my season total for 2019-20 is to 2018-19, I only need 0.10" more to surpass last year's total.

I keep receiving ghost phone calls from Lake Forest over the past 24 hours. Is that you Mr Marine Layer? :D

Was there heavy breathing followed by “I will end you for liking the clouds”? I’ve been getting the same call.

• Like 2

The high temperature today was a toasty 89F with consistent strong offshore winds. The temps pattern was schizophrenic with temps near 90F during the 12PM hour, fell down to the 75F at around 1:30PM, climbed back up to 88F at 2:15PM and gradually cooling down after that. Also today was the hottest May high temp since May 15th, 2014 where it went up to 105F.