Presidents Day - Fat Tuesday Potential Significant Winter Storm

Tom

I just saw this excerpt from a blog post from an Accuweather Met. He is usually pretty good so I thought I would share this with you. Probably not going to happen but just in case:

"My worry is that the mean trough axis may be too far west to allow this system to be squashed to the extent the models said on the 0z runs. And as we saw with a storm over a week ago, don't be shocked if the model trend goes right back the other way as it begins to see things more clearly. And areas that right now seem high and dry may not be so dry in the end."

Finito! :wacko:

Lets go to Boston. Blizzard warning there with damaging winds expected and 10 to 15inches. More snow there by Tuesday as another Low gets them.

NYC WWA with blizzard conditions possible there also and 4-7inches expected there.

Well, Detroit had its share last year with record breaking snowfall. I guess this year its Boston. Cant win them all.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I woke up this morning to a heavy snow band over my area. Picked up 3.2 inches of snow. Not bad from an arctic front. Brutally cold with snowsqualls and blowing snow all day. Heading down to -11F and -17F tomorrow night. Biting cold indeed with wcf being in the -20s and -30s territory.  Been snowing on and off since last night. Have to say white out conditions were experienced here for a time with blowing and falling snow.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This is exactly why we don't "Throw in the Towel" 3 days out...even though most of this sub forum isn't getting the bulk of this storm, it's still a significant event for those down south, especially down near the Ozarks/S IL (where I attended SIUC Carbondale).  Smokey Mountains get crushed.

• Like 1

I think when we were all throwing in the towel though, we meant for those of us in the forum getting anything significant. I'm pretty sure I speak for most of us when I say I don't really care what the Ozarks and Smokey Mountains are going to get from a storm that at one point looked like it would be big for most of us here. Next!!

You apparently didn't read my post correctly. You had also thrown in the towel on this storm numerous times. Go back and read your own posts. I don't remember you ever saying how excited you were for snow in the Smokies and the Ozarks. I didn't realize KC was near those areas so you weren't "in the game" until the last couple of model runs again

Well I'm still in the game so speak for yourself. Next week looks a lot more interesting for most on the subforum.

Geographically speaking KC is not very far from the Lake. Anyway, I completely understand you're previous post. Yes duhh I wrote this storm off because for four consecutive days it showed nothing. Now it's throwing everyone in our area for a loop, meteorologists included. That in turn means there's now reason for optimism. So maybe I wrote this storm off and was doom and gloom but with the way this winter has gone for most of us it should be understandable. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way because that wasn't my intention.

• Like 1

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post too. Expecting nothing has been the way to go this year! I keep thinking man it would be nice to be following something for tomorrow like what the models were showing when this thread started. I had even told my wife there's a chance for another snow day on Tuesday

Geographically speaking KC is not very far from the Lake. Anyway, I completely understand you're previous post. Yes duhh I wrote this storm off because for four consecutive days it showed nothing. Now it's throwing everyone in our area for a loop, meteorologists included. That in turn means there's now reason for optimism. So maybe I wrote this storm off and was doom and gloom but with the way this winter has gone for most of us it should be understandable. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way because that wasn't my intention.

Just getting up to speed on this storm... Wow, the Ohio Valley and Ozarks are really going to get clocked with this one!

My relatives in Clarksville, TN are expecting 6-10". That's a really big deal for them!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Heavy snow here. Am I the only one being affected by this thing?

How are you doing with snow there tonight?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"