February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Anything before the resolution change?

It begins around the 19th so it's right around the time of the res change.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'll have to check out their records.  I bet that is up there with all time greats.

Looked at some internet forums for locals, seems like they got same amount in 92-93 but over a week instead of 3 days. January 1950 delivered 54 inches of snow, which is the snowiest month record.

Here's a link if you want to look at some pictures.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/1506350-bend-picture-thread-12.html

Looked at some internet forums for locals, seems like they got same amount in 92-92 but over a week instead of 3 days.

The guy who reported it and showed me pictures on my Facebook page of business said he moved there in 2011 and it's the most he's seen.  He talked to locals and it was also the most they've seen in any memory in a short amount of time.

<p>Southern California Weather Authority.com CEO and Senior Meteorologist<br>

TheWeatherSpace.com CEO and Senior Meteorologist<br><br>

SCWXA Website - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.southerncaliforniaweatherauthority.com/">http://www.southerncaliforniaweatherauthority.com/</a><br>

SCWXA Facebook - <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.facebook.com/SouthernCaliforniaWeather">https://www.facebook.com/SouthernCaliforniaWeather</a><br><br>

TWS Website - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.theweatherspace.com/">http://www.theweatherspace.com/</a><br>

TWS Facebook - <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.facebook.com/TheWeatherSpaceNetwork">https://www.facebook.com/TheWeatherSpaceNetwork</a></p>

I can tell you that over 2 feet in Bend from one storm is in fact pretty epic. They've done poorly the last 5 years, averaging about 15" a winter.

I'm dying to see when and how Bellingham will finally balance the scales.  You are due to get pummeled.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I can tell you that over 2 feet in Bend from one storm is in fact pretty epic. They've done poorly the last 5 years, averaging about 15" a winter.

Pretty sure they did ok in '09 with well over a foot of snow. I think Walla Walla was the biggest winner in that one with about a foot and a half.

I'm dying to see when and how Bellingham will finally balance the scales.  You are due to get pummeled.

We're making up for 2006-2011 when we got hit a lot. Crazy that SW WA has done better in 3 of the 4 winters I've been here, but I'm sure we'll see a Whatcom County centric winter again soon enough.

Precip is headed for the north interior.  I'm pulling for you guys to get some snow.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We're making up for 2006-2011 when we got hit a lot. Crazy that SW WA has done better in 3 of the 4 winters I've been here, but I'm sure we'll see a Whatcom County centric winter again soon enough.

That is true.  You could even say 2004-05 - 2011.  Your area got hit good in Jan 2005 while we had one of the most painful busts I can recall.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

34/28 4mph East wind, cooler & dryer now.

The weak offshore flow could pay nicely this afternoon.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

With a minor cold snap later in the month looking likely now this Feb will easily go down as the coldest of the century so far for the NW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So far slow warming. Still 30.1 here.

This is one of the most anemic warm ups we've seen a while.  That cold high pressure to the north and east just refuses to give up.  I hope this is a sign of things to come for us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

North Seattle would be a great location for snow if Lake Washington was put away somewhere.

We can do that and bulldoze the Olympics. :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

With a minor cold snap later in the month looking likely now this Feb will easily go down as the coldest of the century so far for the NW.

PDX has a monthly average of 30.8 so far. A top 5 cold February looks pretty likely already, another cold spell would probably cement it as the coldest since 1936.

• Like 2

Jim... sort of annoying that you did not participate at all on here during the epic event down south and now you are so giddy about every little detail now that the event is over just because you got an inch of snow.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

PDX has a monthly average of 30.8 so far. A top 5 cold February looks pretty likely already, another cold spell would probably cement it as the coldest since 1936.

SEA has done ok, but there's probably no way they beat 1989 unless we have another major cold wave.  It appears they will notch their fifth coldest week (any 7 day period) in their period of record.  That is really noteworthy when considering their huge warm bias in recent months.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jim... sort of annoying that you did not participate at all on here during the epic event down south and now you are so giddy about every little detail now that the event is over just because you got an inch of snow.   :lol:

I got close to 2 inches actually.

I can't help the fact I was seriously pissed when it appeared we would get nothing.  I should have known the models were wrong when considering we almost always get snow when a cold wave ends with undercutting westerlies.  I didn't want to come on here and be sour grapes about it.

I do recognize what happened in Oregon is historic and nothing but good when looking at the big picture.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

After getting about 1/4" of freezing rain last night, it's snowing again! I imagine this must be due to cooler air aloft. 

Temp is still a long way from freezing. 25 currently.

That happened here in Jan 2012.  Backwash behind the departing low deepens the cold air again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Does anyone else find it funny that 18z GFS and 00z GEM were first to pick up on the train of lows? Also Jesse's posts protesting the lows coming into Central Oregon were probably the best posts during this event. I can just imagine him muttering under his breath "oh no we're going to get snow, all these cold records are gone".

I got close to 2 inches actually.

I can't help the fact I was seriously pissed when it appeared we would get nothing.  I should have known the models were wrong when considering we almost always get snow when a cold wave ends with undercutting westerlies.  I didn't want to come on here and be sour grapes about it.

I do recognize what happened in Oregon is historic and nothing but good when looking at the big picture.

But the contrast is so amazing.

1.75 inches of snow in Covington and now the entire situation is so crazy good... and there is so much more snow and cold coming.     Back to irrationally good now!   

Its silly.    You have to recognize that.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That happened here in Jan 2012.  Backwash behind the departing low deepens the cold air again.

Yup, that's exactly what's going on here. I am pretty stoked about the possibilities for yet another cold wave later this month. Most runs have been hinting at it.

Could be looking at a seriously cold February when all is said and done.

Does anyone else find it funny that 18z GFS and 00z GEM were first to pick up on the train of lows? Also Jesse's posts protesting the lows coming into Central Oregon were probably the best posts during this event. I can just imagine him muttering under his breath "oh no we're going to get snow, all these cold records are gone".

Is English your first language? I have trouble deciphering most of your posts. They all seem to be strangely worded.

I was definitely worried when moisture first started coming into the picture. Figured it was the beginning of the end with the whole cold wave falling through and the lows ending up well to our north. Obviously it didn't work out that way. I am incredibly happy with how it ended up working out. We got both the snow and the cold. Best of both worlds.

But the contrast is so amazing.

1.75 inches of snow in Covington and now the entire situation is so crazy good... and there is so much more snow and cold coming.     Back to irrationally good now!   

Its silly.    You have to recognize that.    :)

Good lord. Leave him alone.

I was really surprised to see how much more snow Kirkland had than my area...I was over by exit 18 and there was easily 2.5 - 3 inches on the ground...side roads were a mess.  Issaquah proper had less than an inch...my area was definitely on the higher end.

Things are melting nicely now, though. 

Is English your first language? I have trouble deciphering most of your posts. They all seem to be strangely worded.

I was definitely worried when moisture first started coming into the picture. Figured it was the beginning of the end with the whole cold wave falling through and the lows ending up well to our north. Obviously it didn't work out that way. I am incredibly happy with how it ended up working out. We got both the snow and the cold. Best of both worlds.

This cold snap was certainly the most impressive on the max temperature side of things.  Much different than the December one.

How much snow did you get?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 12z NAM MM5 keeps the air mass cold enough for snow until 7pm...at least for places away from the water and on a hill.  The WRF isn't updating for some reason.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Good lord. Leave him alone.

I guess the only one allowed to have some strange weather fixations on this forum is Tim.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9