2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

10 hours ago, Reg said:

While nothing compared to decades ago in Los Angeles, smog and general air pollution are still a serious issue as noted by the Environmental Protection Agency as well as local Southern California air quality monitoring boards even today. Still rated as among the worst air quality in the US consistently in 2022, along with Bakersfield and Fresno. I took these pictures in Downtown Los Angeles, from Los Angeles City Hall specifically, in September 2011. The poor air quality was quite noticeable that day.

LAcityhalllookingsouth8.thumb.JPG.531597e85810509cd479fb5078355af6.JPG

LAcityhalllookingsouth1.thumb.JPG.e1b719555770c9e7c7b80d1c741788e9.JPG

I do think the air quality is better now than it was in the past here in Socal, but we can still get pretty smoggy at times when the air is very stagnant. It has been somewhat smoggy the last couple of days here in Orange, but not quite as bad as what you posted from September, 2011.

1 hour ago, Reg said:

Temperature reached/exceeded 80F here yesterday (Christmas) for the first time since October 31st. High was 82F.

Unseasonable warmth this time of year during a drought is much more enjoyable when knowing there is a pattern change around the corner that is forecast to bring rain to the area, as opposed to an endless dry spell with no rain in sight.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dan the Weatherman said:

I do think the air quality is better now than it was in the past here in Socal, but we can still get pretty smoggy at times when the air is very stagnant. It has been somewhat smoggy the last couple of days here in Orange, but not quite as bad as what you posted from September, 2011.

Oh absolutely. The Clean Air Act was passed in 1970 and the greatest strides in air quality improvement in Los Angeles were made between 1970 and 1990. The situation with air quality has remained largely unchanged since roughly 1990 (due to a wide array of limiting reasons), however, and so we still see these kind of days. Just not the "Smog Alert, stay indoors or shelter in place" kind of days of old like when my parents were kids.

Here is a screenshot from an episode of "CHiPs" (which ran from 1977 to 1983) in Los Angeles. This was an early episode, shot around 1977 or 1978, on the then-brand-new Interstate 210 freeway near Sun Valley on a particularly smoggy day. San Gabriel Mountains barely visible in the background:

i023681.jpg.1930d6bb8752efcbdaa42f60c6861e8d.jpg

Also: I own a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan that was assembled in South Gate, Los Angeles in March 1978. I love old American cars just much as any other American so don't get the wrong idea. I found the original General Motors shipping invoice when I was cleaning up the car under its carpets when I bought it from the original elderly couple in 2017. Parts manufactured in Detroit in 1977, assembled in Los Angeles in early 1978 and sold at a dealership along Ventura Blvd on March 11 1978. I have all parts numbers and serial numbers. Replaced the radiator and hoses myself. Turns out my black grandfather worked at the plant at the time in the 70s. Small world.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

16 hours ago, Reg said:

Oh absolutely. The Clean Air Act was passed in 1970 and the greatest strides in air quality improvement in Los Angeles were made between 1970 and 1990. The situation with air quality has remained largely unchanged since roughly 1990 (due to a wide array of limiting reasons), however, and so we still see these kind of days. Just not the "Smog Alert, stay indoors or shelter in place" kind of days of old like when my parents were kids.

Here is a screenshot from an episode of "CHiPs" (which ran from 1977 to 1983) in Los Angeles. This was an early episode, shot around 1977 or 1978, on the then-brand-new Interstate 210 freeway near Sun Valley on a particularly smoggy day. San Gabriel Mountains barely visible in the background:

i023681.jpg.1930d6bb8752efcbdaa42f60c6861e8d.jpg

Also: I own a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan that was assembled in South Gate, Los Angeles in March 1978. I love old American cars just much as any other American so don't get the wrong idea. I found the original General Motors shipping invoice when I was cleaning up the car under its carpets when I bought it from the original elderly couple in 2017. Parts manufactured in Detroit in 1977, assembled in Los Angeles in early 1978 and sold at a dealership along Ventura Blvd on March 11 1978. I have all parts numbers and serial numbers. Replaced the radiator and hoses myself. Turns out my black grandfather worked at the plant at the time in the 70s. Small world.

Blast from the past right there!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3