2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

If Las Vegas does not reach 100 F by next Sunday, it will tie the 290-day record of consecutive days below 100 F. If it fails to reach 100 F by Monday, the record will be broken. The latest day to reach 100 F is June 30 in 1965. That's the same year Downtown LA had its coldest average June high on record of 71.10 F. For Las Vegas, we could easily break the 290-day record and the latest day to reach 100 F this year.

For Downtown LA, the 1965 record is looking fairly safe as the high would need to average below 70.60 F for the last 10 days of June, but I'm not counting it out yet.

1982 was another developing El Nino that had a very cool June. I was living in New York at that time. We moved to California in early 1983.

• Like 1

Looked back in the recordbooks a bit to see if we'd come close to any records... We won't (turns out that this sort of coolness was actually pretty commonplace in the early 20th century), but I noticed that on 6/22/1919, the maximum temp in Riverside that day was 102*F (2nd highest on record) and the minimum temp was 46*F (T-2nd lowest on record). Guess marine layer wasn't a thing that year.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.