2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Low clouds have quickly made a return after a day dominated by mostly mid and high clouds, including the thick mid-level cloud that passed through from 1:30 to 3:30 today. Temperatures were up to 73 before it came through, dropped as low as 64, and then went back up to 73 after it passed. Apparently lots of the clouds had some kind of mist or virga coming out of them as well.

Did you get the thick band of mid-level clouds in the afternoon? Looks like temperatures dropped from 77 to 66 between 2 and 3 PM.

I had taken Benadryl for my severe allergies this morning and it knocked me out, so unfortunately I was not awake in the afternoon to witness it. I re-awoke in the evening just before the sun went down.

But looking through my temperature records for the day, my weather station did record an anomaly in the early afternoon consistent with what you described:

6SDJ97q.png

Low clouds have once again scattered out towards sunset, just like yesterday and it remains partly cloudy for now, at least. Question is whether or not it will be a 5000 ft thick cloud layer leaking out light rain and drizzle by the morning. Last 2 days, Lake Forest got 0.07" each day, but their station is up at the base of the Santa Ana Mountains. I'm guessing not as much rain tomorrow morning, especially if the marine layer depth starts to drop overnight.

NOAA website has been slow and buggy the last 2 days. Cannot even get today's climate reports.

One year ago today we had some record low maximums. Fullerton was only 62 F for the high and it was so cold that late afternoon that I played "Baby it's cold outside" on my phone while walking my dog with my full winter jacket, which I hadn't used in weeks. My dog also had her sweater on.

Mayuary1.png