West Coast Sports Talk and Other Banter

1 minute ago, Kolk1604 said:

Yeah looks that way :(

In hindsight... they should have taken 3 knees and punted.   It would have left Texas with about 12 seconds to get a TD.    Why risk a fumble or injury for nothing?

Also... in their drive before that they passed on 3rd down which saved Texas a timeout.   With only one timeout left the game would have been over after onside kick.   

Just a horrible sequence of events at the end.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

In hindsight... they should have taken 3 knees and punted.   It would have left Texas with about 12 seconds to get a TD.    Why risk a fumble or injury for nothing?

Also... in their drive before that they passed on 3rd down which saved Texas a timeout.   With only one timeout left the game would have been over after onside kick.   

Just a horrible sequence of events at the end.  

That's what I'm saying. The lower risk option there was to give the ball back to them after 3 kneels, not go for the 1st down. The injury was one potential terrible outcome, but also Texas obviously knew that their best chance at winning would be to strip the ball, so there was a very high risk for a fumble in that period. Better to just pin them back in their endzone with no time for anything but a hail mary.

• Like 2

Just now, SpaceRace22 said:

That's what I'm saying. The lower risk option there was to give the ball back to them after 3 kneels, not go for the 1st down. The injury was one potential terrible outcome, but also Texas obviously knew that their best chance at winning would be to strip the ball, so there was a very high risk for a fumble in that period. Better to just pin them back in their endzone with no time for anything but a hail mary.

I think that is the reason for the subdued celebration.    They knew they took a big risk and it cost them beyond this game.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

This.  Injury was just bad luck.

They didn't kneel in this EXACT same situation on 3rd down against Oregon in the PAC-12 Championship Game, and he ran it for a 1st down.

But being able to run the clock down under 15 seconds and being able to pin them back and needing a TD changes the equation.   It made more sense to take 3 knees in this situation.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Fortunately, 80% of the Huskies offense is passing.

But threat of Dillion Johnson probably opens up the pass game more.  

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Harbaugh about to lose to another Seattle team in the playoffs.

Sherman should be at game sitting behind their sidelines heckling Harbaugh! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Sherman should be at game sitting behind their sidelines heckling Harbaugh! 

And then scream like a maniac at Erin Andrews.  😀

• Excited 1

He also says Texas fans are awesome and so polite and congratulatory on the Huskies win.  He says they put Ducks and Cougs fans to shame.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Seeing texts this morning from my son saying that some of the team (assuming those over 21) ended up on Bourbon Street and they got to hang out with them.    He said they were surprisingly reserved and were not going crazy... just celebrating the win.   He sent a video of the team doing group karaoke.  He also mentioned the general consensus among Huskies fans was that it was a bittersweet win with Dillion Johnson badly injured on the last offensive play.  @SpaceRace22 said the same thing about the last 2 minutes leaving a bad taste for him because things didn't have to go that way. 

• Sad 4

Watched some highlights from national sports shows this morning and the overwhelming consensus is that the committee got it right and gave us the best games possible with the best teams.  And FSU had no business being in the CFP and would have given an unfair advantage to one of the other 3 teams.

I know @SilverFallsAndrew stated FSU was in as if it was fact before the announcement and then was incensed that they didn't get in but he is wrong.   There are 5 conferences and Notre Dame and there was always a chance of this happening because even if all the conference winners were undefeated one of them would still have to sit out.   

But Andrew also talks about the Ducks like they are his children so he is a just bit odd when it comes to college football.

• Weenie 1

Also don't like someone who trash talks endlessly and then doesn't own up after a game.   If the Ducks had won the Pac 12 championship I would be right there to congratulate them.  And would probably be cheering for them win the national championship if the tables were turned right now.  Andrew is way too intense about this stuff.   

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Hmmm... I see @TT-SEA has been attempting to troll me about a game I didn't even watch for the past 16 hours. But don't worry, I came over here JUST FOR YOU. I'm not surprised UW won, I've been saying for weeks they remind me of the 2002 Ohio State team that beat Miami. Unimpressive wins, but wins none the less. 

At the end of the day it was a joke that Texas was in the CFB, the best team in the nation is Georgia and it was an abomination they were left out. But they showed up and did their thing against an undefeated Florida State team. Oregon also beat an undefeated team in the Fiesta bowl, more on that in a moment. At the end of the day Texas is probably a 7-5 team if they play in the Pac-12 this season. 

Now we will be treated to a title game which is a rematch of the 1992 Rose Bowl, which of course UW won to finish the season undefeated and finish 2nd only to the Miami Hurricanes. I give UW the edge in the the title game, they just feel like a team of destiny to me. 

Either way, I think it is fair to rank UW at #2 right now, but the true #1 is a team that was not even selected to make the final 4, just because the committee wanted to get an undeserving Texas team in there. It is what it is, but it will certainly tarnish the legacy of whoever wins next week. 

Personally, I really enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl. It was great seeing Bo Nix break all those records and Tez break some records of his own. It says a lot about the culture Dan Lanning is building that all those guys decided to show up and show out when they could have quit and gone home. Very much like Georgia. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Hmmm... I see @TT-SEA has been attempting to troll me about a game I didn't even watch for the past 16 hours. But don't worry, I came over here JUST FOR YOU. I'm not surprised UW won, I've been saying for weeks they remind me of the 2002 Ohio State team that beat Miami. Unimpressive wins, but wins none the less. 

At the end of the day it was a joke that Texas was in the CFB, the best team in the nation is Georgia and it was an abomination they were left out. But they showed up and did their thing against an undefeated Florida State team. Oregon also beat an undefeated team in the Fiesta bowl, more on that in a moment. At the end of the day Texas is probably a 7-5 team if they play in the Pac-12 this season. 

Now we will be treated to a title game which is a rematch of the 1992 Rose Bowl, which of course UW won to finish the season undefeated and finish 2nd only to the Miami Hurricanes. I give UW the edge in the the title game, they just feel like a team of destiny to me. 

Either way, I think it is fair to rank UW at #2 right now, but the true #1 is a team that was not even selected to make the final 4, just because the committee wanted to get an undeserving Texas team in there. It is what it is, but it will certainly tarnish the legacy of whoever wins next week. 

Personally, I really enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl. It was great seeing Bo Nix break all those records and Tez break some records of his own. It says a lot about the culture Dan Lanning is building that all those guys decided to show up and show out when they could have quit and gone home. Very much like Georgia. 

Andrew picking the Huskies is a sure kiss of death... which is probably intended!  

And you enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl which was truly a mismatch with a school no one has ever heard of and nobody watched. 😀

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Andrew picking the Huskies is a sure kiss of death... which is probably intended!  

And you enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl which was truly a mismatch with a school no one has ever heard of and nobody watched. 😀

No they will win. I already said 2024 is going to be the worst year ever. 

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

No they will win. I already said 2024 is going to be the worst year ever. 

Why not cheer for the Pac12 to go out with a bang and stop acting so weird?

Because some guy in a Huskies shirt tried to hurt you 3 decades ago and who is probably dead by now??   Take a note from my son and act more like Texas fans who were so gracious to them last night.   Or is that not possible?    You are wound up waaaaaaaaaay too tight about this.   Step back from the ledge.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Why not cheer for the Pac12 to go out with a bang and stop acting so weird?

Because some guy in a Huskies shirt tried to hurt you 3 decades ago and who is probably dead by now??   Take a note from my son and act more like Texas fans who were so gracious to them last night.   Or is that not possible?    You are wound up waaaaaaaaaay to tight about this.   Step back from the ledge.  

• Facepalm 1

I totally agree with this take on the injury situation and the clock.   And also remember the BS fake injuries that the Ducks pulled on defense.   Such a bush league move.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2024/1/2/24022213/three-things-we-learned-texas-longhorns-uw-washington-huskies-football-sugar-bowl

3. What a Dumb F***ing Rule

Washington got the ball back following Josh Cuevas’ onside kick recovery with 1:06 remaining and Texas holding the aforementioned 2 timeouts. UW ran the ball to take away one of the timeouts. UW ran the ball again to take away Texas’ last timeout. Now it seemed guaranteed that a 3rd run without a fumble would bring the clock down to about 20 seconds left and a subsequent punt would force Texas to go 80+ yards in ~15 seconds with no timeouts. A borderline impossible scenario.

Instead, Dillon Johnson carried the ball into the line and instantly writhed in pain. The refs stopped the clock as trainers came to tend to Johnson and announced there would be a 10 second run-off but that the clock would not restart when the ball was ready to be snapped. Instead of having to go that distance in under 20 seconds, Texas got to do it in 50 seconds. A completely different scenario.

So what is the purpose of this rule? Washington has had to deal with injury shenanigans on the part of Oregon in recent years. Both times though it was an offensive player taking a dive while the clock was briefly stopped for a first down to give the offense a free timeout when they were trailing and trying to maneuver for the tying or winning score.

In this circumstance though the Huskies had the lead trying to run out the clock and very obviously did not want a clock stoppage. There was no benefit for Washington to fake an injury. The benefit is entirely on the defense’s side if they can stop the clock with a free timeout if the offense has an injury severe enough that they can’t get off the field.

That means there are only 2 logical incentives to the current version of the rule.

1. The defense should make every attempt to intentionally injure an offensive player so that the clock can stop.

2. An offensive player who is legitimately injured should try to keep playing with that injury and risk making his condition even worse.

How does it makes any sense for player safety that those are the incentives you’re creating? This rule needs to be changed immediately this offseason. If the team that had the injury is on offense and has the lead then the clock should restart once the injury has been dealt with appropriately. At the very least with a 25 second clock if not the full 40. There should be enough nuance allowed to have a different rule if the team on offense is ahead or behind on the scoreboard since it completely changes the incentive structure.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I totally agree with this take on the injury situation and the clock.   And also remember the BS fake injuries that the Ducks pulled on defense.   Such a bush league move.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2024/1/2/24022213/three-things-we-learned-texas-longhorns-uw-washington-huskies-football-sugar-bowl

3. What a Dumb F***ing Rule

Washington got the ball back following Josh Cuevas’ onside kick recovery with 1:06 remaining and Texas holding the aforementioned 2 timeouts. UW ran the ball to take away one of the timeouts. UW ran the ball again to take away Texas’ last timeout. Now it seemed guaranteed that a 3rd run without a fumble would bring the clock down to about 20 seconds left and a subsequent punt would force Texas to go 80+ yards in ~15 seconds with no timeouts. A borderline impossible scenario.

Instead, Dillon Johnson carried the ball into the line and instantly writhed in pain. The refs stopped the clock as trainers came to tend to Johnson and announced there would be a 10 second run-off but that the clock would not restart when the ball was ready to be snapped. Instead of having to go that distance in under 20 seconds, Texas got to do it in 50 seconds. A completely different scenario.

So what is the purpose of this rule? Washington has had to deal with injury shenanigans on the part of Oregon in recent years. Both times though it was an offensive player taking a dive while the clock was briefly stopped for a first down to give the offense a free timeout when they were trailing and trying to maneuver for the tying or winning score.

In this circumstance though the Huskies had the lead trying to run out the clock and very obviously did not want a clock stoppage. There was no benefit for Washington to fake an injury. The benefit is entirely on the defense’s side if they can stop the clock with a free timeout if the offense has an injury severe enough that they can’t get off the field.

That means there are only 2 logical incentives to the current version of the rule.

1. The defense should make every attempt to intentionally injure an offensive player so that the clock can stop.

2. An offensive player who is legitimately injured should try to keep playing with that injury and risk making his condition even worse.

How does it makes any sense for player safety that those are the incentives you’re creating? This rule needs to be changed immediately this offseason. If the team that had the injury is on offense and has the lead then the clock should restart once the injury has been dealt with appropriately. At the very least with a 25 second clock if not the full 40. There should be enough nuance allowed to have a different rule if the team on offense is ahead or behind on the scoreboard since it completely changes the incentive structure.

Those injuries that were so fake the starters "faking" the injuries missed multiple games with said injuries. 

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Those injuries that were so fake the starters "faking" the injuries missed multiple games with said injuries. 

Oh no... they had some truly fake injuries.   Everyone knew it.   Even the announcers.   One guy was sprinting off the field after the game.   It absolutely happened and it was ordered by Lanning.  

• Weenie 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Oh no... they had some truly fake injuries.   Everyone knew it.   Even the announcers.   One guy was sprinting off the field after the game.   It absolutely happened and it was ordered by Lanning.  

Typical UW fan. Making light of injuries. I for one hope Dillon Johnson is able to give it a go in the title game. 

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Typical UW fan. Making light of injuries. I for one hope Dillon Johnson is able to give it a go in the title game. 

Own it man.   Not making light of actual injuries.   Making light of absolutely faking an injury to gain advantage.   And the Ducks have done it multiple times.   And you know it.   Or you are delusional.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Own it man.   Not making light of actual injuries.   Making light of absolutely faking an injury to gain advantage.   And the Ducks have done it multiple times.   And you know it.   Or you are delusional.  

Not something I would pay attention to, if it happened I don't know or care. Many Oregon fans thought teams would do that against the Ducks circa 2010 when they were pioneering the "blur" offense. Who knows, they might have, or it could have just been that players got hurt/winded more trying to keep up. Doesn't really matter either way. But go ahead and be a sore winner. 

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Not something I would pay attention to, if it happened I don't know or care. Many Oregon fans thought teams would do that against the Ducks circa 2010 when they were pioneering the "blur" offense. Who knows, they might have, or it could have just been that players got hurt/winded more trying to keep up. Doesn't really matter either way. But go ahead and be a sore winner. 

Well you take the Ducks so stupidly personal that you have no objectivity.   

And for the record Ferguson was totally fine the next week and played against the Cougs on 10/21.  

He was fine just 5 minutes later when the broadcast showed him walking off the field after the game with no indication of an injury.    😀

And then we have last year when Ducks player Kris Hutson openly admitted to the media that he faked an injury against the Huskies.   Its part of Lanning's game plan.   Yeah... it doesn't happen.   

https://fansided.com/2022/11/16/oregon-admits-faked-injury-washington-loss/

The sophomore jaw-droppingly spilled the beans on two subjects on Wednesday. First, he admitted that his injury on the final drive against Washington was “part of the game plan.” 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

And then we have last year when Ducks player Kris Hutson openly admitted to the media that he faked an injury against the Huskies.   Its part of Lanning's game plan.   Yeah... it doesn't happen.   

https://fansided.com/2022/11/16/oregon-admits-faked-injury-washington-loss/

The sophomore jaw-droppingly spilled the beans on two subjects on Wednesday. First, he admitted that his injury on the final drive against Washington was “part of the game plan.” 

Probably why he's not on the team anymore. 

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Probably why he's not on the team anymore. 

Yeah... because he told the truth.    That is how the Ducks operate.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... because he told the truth.    That is how the Ducks operate.  

It was a joke. 

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It was a joke. 

Faking injuries is basically cheating.   

Great news... Grubb just said on KJR that Dillon Johnson will be playing in championship.   X-rays were negative and he will be ready to go.   This is the opposite of faking an injury though.   Because that injury almost cost the Huskies the game and was a massive disadvantage for them.

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Great news... Grubb just said on KJR that Dillon Johnson will be playing in championship.   X-rays were negative and he will be ready to go.   This is the opposite of faking an injury though.   Because that injury almost cost the Huskies the game and was a massive disadvantage for them.

WOW!!! I was not expecting that. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!