January 2014 in the PNW

TT-SEA

Why don't you post info like this in the eastern forum?

Sorry, I can stop with the OT posts if necessary.

I guess it's just because I'd be talking to myself over there, and no one wants to listen to my advice on how to grow this community into an American-Wx caliber population.

• Like 1

Yuck... thankfully it's only the 18z, but yeah if 00z mirrors this.... some people are going to have a fit or temper tantrum. Winter cancel clearly. Obviously.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Portland_Oregon_USA_ens.png

Eh, the ensemble mean stays below freezing the entire time.

People are just going through their weenie menstrual cycles right now with this. The worst model runs have still shown an extended period of cool weather and offshore flow, with a worst case scenario being a snow threat or two. Another long lived arctic airmass has always been a long shot, but extended cold anomalies are a very good bet and with it will come snow threats. 

People are just going through their weenie menstrual cycles right now with this. The worst model runs have still shown an extended period of cool weather and offshore flow, with a worst case scenario being a snow threat or two. Another long lived arctic airmass has always been a long shot, but extended cold anomalies are a very good bet and with it will come snow threats. 

Most of what I said was sarcasm, but if you want arctic cold/snow, those ensembles aren't going to cut the ketchup. At least the ensembles that matter 12z GFS/EURO look good especially height anomaly placement.

Actually... some of the models (including the ECMWF) have hinted at a perpetual warm front rain/drizzle scenario for next week.    Not exactly crisp and clear with offshore flow.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There is no question that in the long run the cold air slides east. The best we can hope for is cold enough temps where a L pulls offshore winds to produce an overrunning event where the snow sticks around for atleast a day or so. Getting cold air is good and all but you really need something to pull the cold winds from the east side.

Feb 1993: 

Feb 1995: 

• Like 2

There is no question that in the long run the cold air slides east. The best we can hope for is cold enough temps where a L pulls offshore winds to produce an overrunning event where the snow sticks around for atleast a day or so. Getting cold air is good and all but you really need something to pull the cold winds from the east side.

Feb 1993: 

Feb 1995: 

Jim Little! Rich Johnson! Bill Keneeley! FTW!

Apparently this is Florida. Multiple car crashes (at least 3 in this pic) and snow-covered freeways..

EDIT: Atlanta GA

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-3375-0-18606100-1390958963.jpg

See the GDOT tag at the bottom of the image?

This is a screen grab of a Georgia DOT cam near Atlanta

Ahh ok thanks. My friend told me it was Tallahassee.

That is definitely NOT Tallahassee

You've been there? Otherwise I want your night vision goggles.

I'm about to throw in the towel for this Winter.  Here we're at the last week of January after one of the driest/warmest Januarys I can remember, and models STILL DON'T look good for the PNW.  This Winter has just been very odd...and super frustrating.

Where as a lot of you said here is understandable, you do realize you kind of ventured over [weenie] territory as well with this post. I don't know if Mets can be labeled as such though. :) No offense of course.

Wrong.The mediocre 12z Euro shows plenty of offshore flow, just not as cold as we would want.

You have not looked at the ECMWF precip maps heading into next week.    

Here is Tuesday... warm front drizzle.

http://s30.postimg.org/qno8o9k4h/Untitled.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You have not looked at the ECMWF precip maps... heading into next week.    

Here is Tuesday... warm front drizzle.

http://s30.postimg.org/qno8o9k4h/Untitled.jpg

A week out and you're concerned about drizzle... who cares about drizzle, I think more folks are worried about whether or not we get another albeit mediocre shot of snow or cold or both.

I myself am more worried about the piss poor lack of snow in our Mts.

Driving I-90 back from Snoqualmie last Saturday it was depressing to see the snowline basically at the very tops of the peaks leading up to Snoqualmie.

A week out and you're concerned about drizzle... who cares about drizzle, I think more folks are worried about whether or not we get another albeit mediocre shot of snow or cold or both.

I myself am more worried about the piss poor lack of snow in our Mts.

Driving I-90 back from Snoqualmie last Saturday it was depressing to see the snowline basically at the very tops of the peaks leading up to Snoqualmie.

I am not frickin worried about drizzle.

Follow the d*mn conversation.

He said the ECMWF showed cool offshore flow and I said the detailed maps don't actually show that... but instead show warm front precip.

I am not frickin worried about drizzle.

Follow the d*mn conversation.

He said the ECMWF showed cool offshore flow and I said the detailed maps don't actually show that... but instead show warm front precip.

Ok, who gives a though...talking about minor details when none of the models can grasp a straw let alone a marginal pattern is useless.

D**n. There is a lot of bickering on here today. Tim vs Jesse, Brennan vs Tim, Tim vs Brody, BLI Snowman vs Tim, Jesse vs Tim, Jesse vs WestCoastexpat, etc. etc. I sense if 00z runs tonight(including Ensembles) are bad tonight that there could be fights if not all out brawls. Relax. RELAX. Not me of course everyone is a huge fan of mine. I'm cool

D**n. There is a lot of bickering on here today. Tim vs Jesse, Brennan vs Tim, Tim vs Brody, BLI Snowman vs Tim, Jesse vs Tim, Jesse vs WestCoastexpat, etc. etc. I sense if 00z runs tonight(including Ensembles) are bad tonight that there could be fights if not all out brawls. Relax. RELAX. Not me of course everyone is a huge fan of mine. I'm cool

Eat Me :P

There is no Brennan vs Tim... you just made that up.    And I just made one comment to Brody.     And I showed a map to Justin.      :)

00z is about to take the stage!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yep, it also shows precip around Bakersfield with that big storm. Not going to happen, though.

What?

If we end up on the eastern side of a flat ridge next week like the ECMWF shows then it will be a cloudy, drippy week and not a cool, clear week.

There is nothing shown down to Bakersfield on that map.    It barely shows rain to Crescent City.