October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

That would be totally unfair if that was the reason.   That is the complete opposite of how Jesse feels... he was making a point to show how wrong it was to dismiss the people of Haiti.

I agree.  He used it in a strange context so I can how some people could be offended by it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The entire equation here makes me scratch my head over Bastardi.  He is so out in left field right now.  I did some posting on the Midwest forum and they agree he is nuts.

Can we revoke his license to practice meteorology? :lol:

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Is it really too difficult and time-consuming for him to be a little more specific? Rather than throwing a wet blanket on the entire west coast...? It wouldn't be that difficult for him to expand on that just a bit...

He's an east coast weenie with a cold fetish. Don't hold your breath in that one.

I will say this about JB. Bias aside, his pattern recognition skills are pretty d**n good in the deterministic range (out ~ 2-3 weeks). If you can look past his flaws, his take on nearer term pattern progression isn't that bad.

He isn't even aware the blob has transformed into a -PDO. His forecast is based on a bad premise. He will bust in a colossal way this winter. How can he look at the way this month has gone and come up with what he is forecasting?

Why are we still talking about the blob as if it's a pattern driver?

Makes me want to pull my hair out.

Jesse has been a thorn in this thread's side for years. I'm relieved to see the venom from that snake has been sucked out of this forum's wound. That's all I will say on the subject, and I think you should contact an admin if you have any concerns moving forward. :)

So you can be as venomous as you'd like as long as you're passive aggressive about it huh? I'll keep that in mind. There is plenty of venom to go around, would be nice if the admins were fair about it

• Like 1

I will talk to the admins about Jesse.  When he used the N word it was actually in a way that defended blacks.

What Jesse did was abominable and I am glad the admins finally took it seriously. Things have been so much nicer without him. We should all enjoy the peace that has been brought to this forum and leave well enough alone. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I agree.  He used it in a strange context so I can how some people could be offended by it.

He also used it to launch incredibly vicious and vile personal attacks against me that were completely baseless. For the record I did NOT complain to the admins about him. I had become accustom to him abusing me and other forum members for years. 

• Like 1

Already down to 43. Hoping to hit the mid 30s by morning. 

One reason I rarely post anything on the Pacific NW thread is because of Jesse. In-fact, his inexplicable and destructive attacks on California posters was the reason I left the forum several years ago when I was a mod. Maybe some day Jesse can return but in the meantime it is better that he is banned.

• Like 1

Fun

14614303_10154425046716839_1371547487_o.

• Like 1

Why are we still talking about the blob as if it's a pattern driver?

Makes me want to pull my hair out.

I agree.  I was talking about it in that way, because that is the excuse I have heard for him to predict a warm West this winter.  I'm amazed that someone with his credentials would fall for that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

He also used it to launch incredibly vicious and vile personal attacks against me that were completely baseless. For the record I did NOT complain to the admins about him. I had become accustom to him abusing me and other forum members for years. 

I should have removed his comments when I saw them.  I am extremely liberal when it comes to the First Amendment and allowing people to say what they want.  That certainly applies to the Trump fiasco also BTW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

"Abusing" you? Grow a pair, dude. :)

One reason I rarely post anything on the Pacific NW thread is because of Jesse. In-fact, his inexplicable and destructive attacks on California posters was the reason I left the forum several years ago when I was a mod. Maybe some day Jesse can return but in the meantime it is better that he is banned.

I think he will be away for a while, but I want everyone here for this winter, because I really think it will be special.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Already down to 43. Hoping to hit the mid 30s by morning. 

Not too shabby.  I thought I was doing good being down to 48 already!  Nice to see our first frost come decently early this year.  The last two Octobers were painful.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Huh? Did I miss a big blowup or something? 

N word....but the context shouldn't have been construed as being offensive. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

N word....but the context shouldn't have been construed as being offensive.

Is that actually why he was banned?

I thought it was his blowup with Tim or something.

"Abusing" you? Grow a pair, dude.

Please do not minimize the damage Jesse has caused to this forum. You know I have urged you to not repeat the same type of personal attacks since your contributions well outweigh your impulsive reactions. Hope you heed the advice.

• Like 2

I think he will be away for a while, but I want everyone here for this winter, because I really think it will be special.

If Minnesota and Wisconsin has winter below average temps in this set up, But Is it possible that the entire US west coast can also sees below average temps plus above average precip? Is there any analogs like this kind of set up?

If Minnesota and Wisconsin has winter below average in this set up, But Is it possible that the entire US west coast can also sees below average temps plus above average precip? Is there any analogs like this kind of set up?

Yeah, plenty of them. Years like 1978/79, 1961/62, 2008/09, 1983/84, 1984/85, 1988/89, etc, were all cold in the NW and Midwest.

• Like 1

Please do not minimize the damage Jesse has caused to this forum. You know I have urged you to not repeat the same type of personal attacks since your contributions well outweigh your impulsive reactions. Hope you heed the advice.

I've tried to lay back somewhat, though I probably could improve my conduct further (last night being an example). I've never had much of a filter, I guess.

I've tried to lay back somewhat, though I probably could improve my conduct further (last night being an example). I've never had much of a filter, I guess.

We can all do a better job, myself included. I am a sensitive person who just wants harmony and sometimes I get bit for trying to help. The fact that you recognize that you need to improve is a very positive step and I really believe this thread can be great again post Jesse (Trump slogan puns aside).

I will say, out in the open here, that it is hurtful to me as a working meteorologist to be told that I don't understand basic science over and over by you... I've worked so hard to get to where I am, I love my job as a forecaster, I have a M.Sc in atmospheric science... You know that I am a meteorologist, so let's move forward and show some kindness. I love to learn and I see this forum as an opportunity to learn from enthusiasts who live and breathe this amazing science like I do.

• Like 1

So you can be as venomous as you'd like as long as you're passive aggressive about it huh? I'll keep that in mind. There is plenty of venom to go around, would be nice if the admins were fair about it

I can personally say that I never attacked, insulted Jesse or anyone on this board... Yes, I may disagree and with some, and agree with others but that is all part of the fun and learning here... I love that part. :)

That being said... I have a number of separate occasions where I was vehemently attacked with curse laden, unprovoked private messages from him on how much he hated me. I never retaliated or attacked him and only treated him with respect and kindness but he still continued. He was toxic for some, specially if you did not agree with him or had a different viewpoint that did not impress him. If he was banned my guess is that it was not over a single event but  years of actions that he may have brought upon himself -- or he could have just chosen to leave. Who knows.   

• Like 3

We can all do a better job, myself included. I am a sensitive person who just wants harmony and sometimes I get bit for trying to help. The fact that you recognize that you need to improve is a very positive step and I really believe this thread can be great again post Jesse (Trump slogan puns aside).

I will say, out in the open here, that it is hurtful to me as a working meteorologist to be told that I don't understand basic science over and over by you... I've worked so hard to get to where I am, I love my job as a forecaster, I have a M.Sc in atmospheric science... You know that I am a meteorologist, so let's move forward and show some kindness. I love to learn and I see this forum as an opportunity to learn from enthusiasts who live and breathe this amazing science like I do.

Well said!!! :) Yes, a little kindness, understanding and respect goes a long ways! Yes, a little fun banter can be fun but the passive aggressive crap just gets old. I appreciate your input and I also enjoy Phil's and feel you both have so much to offer. Thank you!! :)

• Like 1

I apologize for that comment. It was out of line.

However, I (still) vehemently disagree with your take on frost development. :)

I can personally say that I never attacked, insulted Jesse or anyone on this board... Yes, I may disagree and with some, and agree with others but that is all part of the fun and learning here... I love that part. :)

That being said... I can think of a least 4 separate occasions where I was vehemently attacked with curse laden, unprovoked private messages from him on how much he hated me. I never retaliated or attacked him and only treated him with respect and kindness but he still continued. He was toxic for some, specially if you did not agree with him or had a different viewpoint that did not impress him. If he was banned my guess it was not over a single event but years of actions that he may have brought this upon himself -- or he could if just chosen to leave. Who knows.

Same exact thing happened to me on a few different occasions with the pm's. Lots of threatening, etc. I made one remark about signing off for the summer months years ago and he zeroed in on me from that moment on. I'm glad he is gone, hopefully permanently this time. But it's not the end of the world if he does come back, I have dealt with a lot over my 40yrs of being alive and someone trying to act like a big man on a keyboard doesn't really get to me anymore.
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Same exact thing happened to me on a few different occasions with the pm's. Lots of threatening, etc. I made one remark about signing off for the summer months years ago and he zeroed in on me from that moment on. I'm glad he is gone, hopefully permanently this time. But it's not the end of the world if he does come back, I have dealt with a lot over my 40yrs of being alive and someone trying to act like a big man on a keyboard doesn't really get to me anymore.

I agree, it does not get to me anymore either and I almost find it comical, but in someways if makes me said for them too. I really wonder why does anyone needs to be that way? Sad... :(   I was zeroed in on me when I had typos and grammar issues and it only got worse from there

That being said... I have a number of separate occasions where I was vehemently attacked with curse laden, unprovoked private messages from him on how much he hated me. I never retaliated or attacked him and only treated him with respect and kindness but he still continued. He was toxic for some, specially if you did not agree with him or had a different viewpoint that did not impress him. If he was banned my guess is that it was not over a single event but years of actions that he may have brought upon himself -- or he could have just chosen to leave. Who knows.

Obviously the same thing happened to me with him in PM. Really bad stuff... and then I would respond with a smiley which made it worse of course.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Obviously the same thing happened to me with him in PM. Really bad stuff... and then I would respond with a smiley which made it worse of course.

ditto... lol. I know of about 3 other people on here who have also had the same thing happen to them. Interesting...

Already down to 34 at a wind sheltered station near Bellingham.  VERY impressive for this time of year so early in the evening.

Meanwhile Bellingham has some brisk north winds blowing with the dp down into the 20s.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Maybe coming on here was his way of taking his anger out

Very possible.  The thing about me is I'm able to take it out my anger by ranting about the weather itself and not deflecting it to other people.  I have a real soft spot for Jesse, because I understand how painful the last couple of years have been for cold weather nuts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very possible.  The thing about me is I'm able to take it out my anger by ranting about the weather itself and not deflecting it to other people.  I have a real soft spot for Jesse, because I understand how painful the last couple of years have been for cold weather nuts.

I guess your view might be different if you were on the receiving end.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**