July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Pretty cool satellite picture of both the smoke in BC and the algae bloom in the Hood Canal.

20543573_1552931374767263_49268694270280

Gross to both of those.

When was that taken?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Departures in the western lowlands generally ended up between +.5 and +1.5, slightly cooler anomalies than June.

Overall, the first two months of the JJAS summer season have been warm for the PNW, but nothing extreme like 2015. Very similar to 2013, as has been mentioned.

60dTDeptWRCC-NW.png

A forum for the end of the world.

More like -0.5 to +1.0. Assuming the provisional data is accurate and doesn't change after homogenization.

More like -0.5 to +1.0. Assuming the provisional data is accurate and doesn't change after homogenization.

BLI, SEA, Seattle WFO, OLM, PDX, and EUG all fell in the range I gave (SEA was actually slightly above at +1.6, but we know they have issues). SLE was even warmer, but they seem screwed up lately.

BLI, SEA, Seattle WFO, OLM, PDX, and EUG all fell in the range I gave (SEA was actually slightly above at +1.6, but we know they have issues). SLE was even warmer, but they seem screwed up lately.

Using all the stations cited in the creation of your map, the numbers I gave are accurate. Unless you disagree with your own map? Can't have it both ways.

Using all the stations cited in the creation of your map, the numbers I gave are accurate. Unless you disagree with your own map? Can't have it both ways.

You said up to +1, when several of the primary I-5 stations I cited were warmer than that. The map does not disagree with that.

Overall, it was a warmer than normal month for the PNW, no doubt about it. Not as warm as June, though.

You said up to +1, when several of the primary I-5 stations I cited were warmer than that. The map does not disagree with that.

Overall, it was a warmer than normal month for the PNW, no doubt about it. Not as warm as June, though.

Nope. I said "generally" up to +1, using the data you cited. It was essentially a normal month on the west side.

Still thinking September is cooler than average?

Nope. I said "generally" up to +1, using the data you cited. It was essentially a normal month on the west side.

Still thinking September is cooler than average?

Every single major I-5 station from Medford to Bellingham was above normal, with most in the +.5 to +1.5 range, and some warmer. Silly to dismiss that.

I like .5 to -1 for most places in September. Cooler than the rest of the summer for the PNW overall.

Departures in the western lowlands generally ended up between +.5 and +1.5, slightly cooler anomalies than June.

Overall, the first two months of the JJAS summer season have been warm for the PNW, but nothing extreme like 2015. Very similar to 2013, as has been mentioned.

60dTDeptWRCC-NW.png

2/3rds of the PNW have been generally 2-4F above average for most of the summer. Nothing extreme but definitely a warm summer. A somewhat near average bubble on the west side does not contstitute a "near average" first 60 days for summer for the PNW.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Seems pretty likely that we will soon be getting into a smoky situation on this side of the mountains with the onshore flow cutting off. It does not take much to limit heating.

Good call.

Month ended up at basically straight normal for my location (+0.05), with only 0.03" of rain.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"