June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

It rained in your very rainy microclimate! The region’s drought concerns have been alleviated!!

Still raining!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Ah, the last defense of the truly cornered -- resort to calling something "dumb."

The only part of your post that makes any sense is where you suggest I keep moving north.

House swap?

It is dumb to suggest that my comment about adversity making for a stronger forest means that I am saying fir trees should grow well in the Sahara Desert.     

So my point about scolding us being irrelevant to nature and the fact that we don't control the weather makes no sense either?   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just had a moderate shower here. Picked up about 1/3' since yesterday evening. Not a ton, but the most I have seen since late April. Will be nice to see things green up a bit for a day or two.

The air feels and smells amazing.

It is dumb to suggest that my comment about adversity making for a stronger forest means that I am saying fir trees should grow well in the Sahara Desert.

So my point about scolding us being irrelevant to nature and the fact that we don't control the weather makes no sense either? :lol:

I’m not sure why you are so convinced that adversity makes a forest stronger.
  • Like 1

I’m not sure why you are so convinced that adversity makes a forest stronger.

Natural selection.   The stronger trees will survive adversity.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He’s making up pseudo-science to support his preferences.

Darwinism is psuedo-science?   :lol:

Survival of the fittest.

I see the same thing with wind here.    

Our area is prone to strong winds in the fall and winter and our trees are amazingly resilient to wind as a result.     We rarely have downed trees due to wind here unlike other areas.

Guest happ

Live view from our window here... a fog shrouded Rattlesnake Ridge and healthy forest.   I swear those trees behind our shed grow 2 or 3 feet per year.

20180608_204626.jpg

Ever find rattlesnakes in your yard?

That doesn’t necessarily mean a healthy forest. The fittest ecosystem for an area could be non-forest. Or a forest where certain species are absent.

Extreme example.   

And considering we just finished the wettest 4-year period in recorded history up here... we are talking about being able to better handle the short summer dry period and not some massive climate shift to an arid climate.

Ever find rattlesnakes in your yard?

There are no rattlesnakes here.    There are no poisonous snakes at all.

A cougar might take you down... but you don't have to worry about snakes.   ;)

Guest happ

There are no rattlesnakes here.    There are no poisonous snakes at all.

A cougar might take you down... but you don't have to worry about snakes.   ;)

"Rattlesnake Ridge" ?

"Rattlesnake Ridge" ?

http://northbendwa.gov/index.aspx?NID=109

• Did you know that Rattlesnake Lake and Rattlesnake Ridge got their name from Seattle pioneer Arthur A. Denny when the rattle of seed pods on the nearby prairie frightened a road surveyor into thinking he was being attacked by a rattler? (The surveyor didn't realize that there were no poisonous snakes in Western Washington).

Extreme example.

And considering we just finished the wettest 4-year period in recorded history up here... we are talking about being able to better handle the short summer dry period and not some massive climate shift to an arid climate.

The wet four years you keep talking about were only caused by unusually wet periods during times of year where it is normally wet anyway. And it was much warmer than average, so in many instances that didn’t even translate to normal mountain snowpack, which is more important for getting us through the dry season.

I don’t think it matters as much to trees when it’s really rainy in the already rainy season, when they are dormant. You yourself have said that rain that time of year is mostly just filling up the ocean if it isn’t contributing to snowpack. That is the sort of rain that has padded the stats the last four years.

The long, hot dry summers with anemic mountain snowpack is what has been stressing out the vegetation the last four years, even though they technically look wet on paper. Those long, dry, plant-stressing warm seasons have also been perfect for your brand of outdoor enjoyment, so you really don’t have much to complain about. That is also why you are defending this aberrant weather so vehemently.

• Like 1

The wet four years you keep talking about were only caused by unusually wet periods during times of year where it is normally wet anyway. And it was much warmer than average, so in many instances that didn’t even translate to normal mountain snowpack, which is more important for getting us through the dry season.

I don’t think it matters as much to trees when it’s really rainy in the already rainy season, when they are dormant. You yourself have said that rain that time of year mostly is just filling up the ocean if it isn’t contributing to snowpack. That is the sort of rain that has padded the stats the last four years.

The long, hot dry summers with anemic mountain snowpack is what has been stressing out the vegetation the last four years, even though they look technically wet on paper. The long, dry, plant-stressing warm seasons have also been perfect for your brand of outdoor enjoyment, so you really don’t have much to complain about.

No anemic mountain snowpack in Washington! Been quite healthy the last few seasons.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I don’t think it matters as much to trees when it’s really rainy in the already rainy season, when they are dormant. You yourself have said that rain that time of year is mostly just filling up the ocean if it isn’t contributing to snowpack. That is the sort of rain that has padded the stats the last four years.

The long, hot dry summers with anemic mountain snowpack is what has been stressing out the vegetation the last four years, even though they look technically wet on paper. The long, dry, plant-stressing warm seasons have also been perfect for your brand of outdoor enjoyment, so you really don’t have much to complain about.

Well... the trees look very healthy and happy around here.   Despite some warm season dry spells.     

Remember also... in 2014 we had the wettest Apr-Aug period ever and August 2015 was top tier wet... and June and July of 2016 were not that dry or warm with numerous rain events.   Even last year... we had good rain in June and again in September.   

So your drama about it being non-stop hot and dry for half the year is just not true... at least up here.

No anemic mountain snowpack in Washington! Been quite healthy the last few seasons.

I am talking regionally. And 2014-15 and 2015-16 were some of the worst on record for Washington as well as Oregon.

Although I’m not sure why I’m wasting my breath. I don’t think you ever look this stuff up yourself, you just go off what people say on here.

So the pine beetle kill in the PNW is making for a stronger forest?

Ultimately yes... that is how nature works.    

Its been happening for billions of years and will continue for billions of years into the future.  

GFS keeps a stupid cut off low over us next weekend, keeping the ridge offshore. What is it with these things? Why won't it just move off to the east?

Looks like a July 5th summer kick off this year...like the old days.

Looks like a July 5th summer kick off this year...like the old days.

I am hopeful that the ULL will get just far enough south and east starting Friday to allow for a nice warm spell for us.     Although ULLs usually trend a little farther north in the models so it far from guaranteed.

I am talking regionally. And 2014-15 and 2015-16 were some of the worst on record for Washington as well as Oregon.

Although I’m not sure why I’m wasting my breath. I don’t think you ever look this stuff up yourself, you just go off what people say on here.

We corrected that problem with an absolutely incredible snow season in 2016-17 and a very good season in 2017-18.

There will always be good and bad years... there is no indication up here that its getting worse.    

The trend line is actually inching upwards in the central Cascades...

De3l8cwU8AAeDvt.jpg

Its been happening for billions of years and will continue for billions of years into the future.

As humans who depend on the health of the ecosystems surrounding us, the short term changes you are deciding to take such a selectively zen approach on can have big impacts, though.

Summer started in early May and is only now taking a little break.

I agree with the statement.  

A mid-June troughy period is very common around here.    We went through the exact same thing just recently in 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017.  

And we have years like 2010, 2011, and 2012 where summer had not even started through mid-June.

2015 was a very rare exception.  

As humans who depend on the health of the ecosystems surrounding us, the short term changes you are deciding to take such a selectively zen approach on can have big impacts, though.

Nobody worries about windstorms or floods causing mass destruction... those are cheered on!

Like the destruction caused by the October 2003 flood or the December 2006 windstorm.    

Its all selective on here... and we don't control any of it.  

I follow many different sources and also just from the local news sites. Saw this one a while back. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.king5.com/amp/article%3fsection=tech&subsection=science&topic=environment&headline=washington-snowpack-above-average-heading-into-april&contentId=281-536750989

GFS finally kicks the low out of here allowing for a nice warm up by day 10, and hot into the clown range.  Next weekend still looked pretty decent despite the pesky low... 

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Exactly. This is why the American Chestnut is as widespread and vigorous as it's ever been. You clearly have a great grasp of how evolution actually works.