June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Nice warm and breezy morning ahead of the weekend blast of rainy cold fun! This is actually one of my favorite weather conditions, love the pre frontal warm dry wind. Though I would prefer this in November!

Or on a Monday morning just after a beautiful summer weekend on the water.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice soaker on the way. Should be lush for awhile after this rain.

Met's talking about snow levels dropping to or below 4000 feet on Sunday.

gfs_apcpn_nwus_12.png

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Nice soaker on the way. Should be lush for awhile after this rain.

Met's talking about snow levels dropping to or below 4000 feet on Sunday.

Does not really work that way here.   

Once grass starts going dormant it usually does not come back until the fall rains arrive.    Maybe if we had a couple weeks of rainy weather now then you might see a difference.   But this band coming through this afternoon and evening and the scattered showers and c-zone the next couple days probably won't be enough to make everything lush again where summer dormancy has already started.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Coming from you, this is a huge compliment. You are by far the dumbest sack of dogshit I’ve ever encountered, either online or in person. And I mean that wholeheartedly.

Go smoke some more weed and tell us about the Hadley Cells. You are becoming the new Richard of this web page.

12Z GFS is a summery dream after we get through the system later next week.

12Z GEM was much weaker with that second system... more like the 00Z ECMWF.

Go smoke some more weed and tell us about the Hadley Cells. You are becoming the new Richard of this web page.

Go stick a samurai sword up your anus.

• Like 1

Does not really work that way here.   

Once grass starts going dormant it usually does not come back until the fall rains arrive.    Maybe if we had a couple weeks of rainy weather now then you might see a difference.   But this band coming through this afternoon and evening and the scattered showers and c-zone the next couple days probably won't be enough to make everything lush again where summer dormancy has already started.

Well I don't care too much about the grass really, just some rain to get the garden going. 

Actually my front yard is fairly dormant but the backyard is almost entirely green. So might be able to hang onto a green backyard longer.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

12Z GFS is a summery dream after we get through the system later next week.

12Z GEM was much weaker with that second system... more like the 00Z ECMWF.

Ridging returns after D8 verbatim, but the question now is whether models are handling the CCKW bifurcation correctly.

I’m sure in reality it will be a more jumbled pattern than the majority of models indicate. Still warmer than normal, but probably not constantly so.

Rain has arrived in Bothell. 

Kinda breezy out too.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Rain almost here according to the Weather Mate app (I recommend it now that Storm has been de-balled by TWC)

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We basically had the same pattern in the PNW one year ago today.    And it was raining in Seattle that day.   

Starting one year ago today... the next 9 out of 10 days would be in the 60s at SEA... and there was 1.47 inches of rain at SEA in that period. 

Here is the current pattern:

gfs_z500a_namer_2.png

And the pattern one year ago today:

compday_T8419_ZQk_Mu.gif

Here is how Seattle looked on 6/8/17:

sea_6_8_17.png

Looks almost exactly the same right now. 

Side note... summer did arrive eventually last year.   ;)

Another side note... I am reading through the June 2017 thread now and I was giving Phil major props one year ago for predicting the arrival of that troughy pattern almost exactly as well.    

I remember Phil saying the crash was coming after the first week of June during the middle and end of May.

A huge trough and rain are set to move in right after midnight tonight... just as the first week of June officially comes to an end.    

Have to give him props... he could not have done better with the timing.  

Jared posted this map one year ago today... look familiar?     A notable dry spell followed by a deep trough and wet spell starting on June 8th.   

post-949-0-26044000-1496868567.png

We basically had the same pattern in the PNW one year ago today. And it was raining in Seattle that day.

Starting one year ago today... the next 9 out of 10 days would be in the 60s at SEA... and there was 1.47 inches of rain at SEA in that period.

gfs_z500a_namer_2.png

compday_T8419_ZQk_Mu.gif

sea_6_8_17.png

Side note... summer did arrive eventually last year. ;)

That looks like a very different pattern to me. The illusion of similarity arises because one image depicts the anomaly @ 500mb, while the other depicts the raw mean.

That looks like a very different pattern to me. The illusion of similarity arises because one image depicts the anomaly @ 500mb, while the other depicts the raw mean.

I realize that every pattern looks completely different to you and you see details that other people miss.

But it was a very similar pattern in the PNW with similar weather here one year ago.   

And in general the pattern was similar... deep trough off the West Coast and ridge in the middle of the country and trough over eastern Canada. 

Yes. Just to clarify, the NE-Pacific/PNW area looks very similar, but it’s a very different pattern everywhere else, and the mechanics/forcings are different as well.

Opposite across the Arctic, the NATL/Eastern North America, and Eurasia.

The IO has flipped modes since 2016. It’s early, but this is quite a reversal from the trend there since the 1960s.

For the previous several decades, especially since the middle 1990s, the IO was the global hotspot of SSTs/OHC which teleconnected to the NE-ward expansion of the WPAC warm pool, +AMO, and the general poleward shift of the mid-latitude jets/z-cells.

Now it’s completely reversed, with the cold IO, retracting WPAC warm pool, and -AMO.

Note the long term trend, and the recent reversal. If the cooling continues, it will be a big deal.

QctiETS.jpg

Closer look at the last 4 years:

UL0h7fr.jpg

• Like 1

Rain! Started just as I was getting in my truck to head home from work and start the weekend.. Tim needs to take the weather controls back away from Jesse.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Rain! Started just as I was getting in my truck to head home from work and start the weekend.. Tim needs to take the weather controls back away from Jesse.

I am going to try to make things right for next weekend... being Father's Day of course.  :)

The IO has flipped modes since 2016. It’s early, but this is quite a reversal from the trend there since the 1960s.

For the previous several decades, especially since the middle 1990s, the IO was the global hotspot of SSTs/OHC which teleconnected to the NE-ward expansion of the WPAC warm pool, +AMO, and the general poleward shift of the mid-latitude jets/z-cells.

Now it’s completely reversed, with the cold IO, retracting WPAC warm pool, and -AMO.

Note the long term trend, and the recent reversal. If the cooling continues, it will be a big deal.

QctiETS.jpg

Closer look at the last 4 years:

UL0h7fr.jpg

2010-2012 and 2014-2016 look about the same (warm) on that graph. But the weather was completely opposite here in those periods.

FWIW, the IO was also in a very warm state back during the 1930s and 1940s, and then it flipped cold in the early 1950s. However, the communicatory conduits and global teleconnections in general were structured quite differently back then, so we’ll have to see how this event unfolds.

I’ll post some literature here later today, but at least for the time being, this has all of the hallmarks of a more classical late Holocene IO/NATL cold event (or the early stages of one). The striking commonality is that the last four such episodes have each followed a period of anomalous global warmth, and unlike events occurring during antecedent cold climate conditions, these circulatory aberrations following warm climate episodes have historically produced both a strengthening and an equatorward shift in the westerlies and polar front across the WHEM and a cooling of the SSTs across the Indo-Pacific relative to the SATL/NPAC and the Southern Ocean.

No other such climate regime features these unique characteristics. The giveaway is the near universal weakening of the Asian monsoonal cycle in all of these cases, which suggests a strengthening and southward migration of the NE-Canadian cold vortex would have occurred (ie: a displaced +NAO rather than a -NAO) which would have enhanced anticyclonic wavebreaking across the NATL and boosted trades between from 120W to 60E, and enhanced westerlies from 60E to the dateline, which explains the reduced Indonesian throughflow and continued weakening of the Asian monsoons..a self sustaining feedback loop.

• Like 1

We basically had the same pattern in the PNW one year ago today.    And it was raining in Seattle that day.   

gfs_z500a_namer_2.png

compday_T8419_ZQk_Mu.gif

sea_6_8_17.png

Side note... summer did arrive eventually last year.   ;)

SEA ended that month +2. Even OLM was +1.3.  :(

A forum for the end of the world.

FWIW, the IO was also in a very warm state back during the 1930s and 1940s, and then it flipped cold in the early 1950s. However, the communicatory conduits and global teleconnections in general were structured quite differently back then, so we’ll have to see how this event unfolds.

I’ll post some literature here later today, but at least for the time being, this has all of the hallmarks of a more classical late Holocene IO/NATL cold event (or the early stages of one). The striking commonality is that the last four such episodes have each followed a period of anomalous global warmth, and unlike events occurring during antecedent cold climate conditions, these circulatory aberrations following warm climate episodes have historically produced both a strengthening and an equatorward shift in the westerlies and polar front across the WHEM and a cooling of the SSTs across the Indo-Pacific relative to the SATL/NPAC and the Southern Ocean.

No other such climate regime features these unique characteristics. The giveaway is the near universal weakening of the Asian monsoonal cycle in all of these cases, which suggests a strengthening and southward migration of the NE-Canadian cold vortex would have occurred (ie: a displaced +NAO rather than a -NAO) which would have enhanced anticyclonic wavebreaking across the NATL and boosted trades between from 120W to 60E, and enhanced westerlies from 60E to the dateline, which explains the reduced Indonesian throughflow and continued weakening of the Asian monsoons..a self sustaining feedback loop.

As long as that translates to arctic and low elevation snow events here most of us would be pretty happy.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Now, it’s way too early to claim this is the direction we’re headed simply based on 2 years of IO cooling and a homogenous global circulation. That would be a laughably myopic analysis.

However, we should watch closely for any further evolution into this type of system state, because the implications for the Indo-Asian economies are enormous, and there would be large changes to the PNW climatology as well, starting as warm/dry and quickly trending to cold/arid with time, similar to what happened in the 1400s.

So, just keep an eye on those IO SSTAs and the Canadian-North Atlantic Vortex as leading indicators.

• Like 1

It's too bad this weekend is wet. We need the rain and we haven't had any real precipitation in weeks but for it to come just in time for the weekend and the Rose Festival Parade sucks. However it looks like mother nature will pay us back next weekend and then some. Looks like a possible heat wave is coming per the 12z EURO. Get your outdoor plans ready for next weekend!

ecmwf_T850_nwus_10.png

ecmwf_T850a_nwus_10.png

• Like 1