November 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Timmy Supercell

Did I say it was my region?? I said it stretches way east... actually to the Dakotas.

The northern part of the western US has been decently wet this year. It is what it is. That is where nature drew the line this year. I am north of that line and you are not. Oh well.

I think it has been a drier than normal year for much of southern BC as well, even though they may not technically be in a drought. So, as far as the west side climate goes (let’s keep it in the same climate zone to keep things simple) it has been a very dry year outside of a relatively small area north and east of Seattle. :)

I think it has been a drier than normal year for much of southern BC as well, even though they may not technically be in a drought. So, as far as the west side climate goes (let’s keep it in the same climate zone to keep things simple) it has been a very dry year outside of a relatively small are north and east of Seattle. :)

Not sure about southern BC. Can't find a good map.

I think you desperately want drought misery company though... and no one north of Kelso really cares except for your drought buddy on the very east side of Victoria. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not sure about southern BC. Can't find a good map.

I think you desperately want drought misery company though... and no one north of Kelso really cares except for your drought buddy on the very east side of Victoria. ;)

Stop making this personal. Third post like this since last night.

I simply responded to Tiger’s question, and of course you had to jump in and make sure my answer was put through the filter of your backyardly narrative, like you do anytime anyone brings up this regionally dry year. It’s not always about you. :)

Stop making this personal. Third post like this since last night.

I simply responded to Tiger’s question, and of course you had to jump in and make sure my answer was put through the filter of your backyardly narrative, like you do anytime anyone brings up this regionally dry year. It’s not always about you. :)

That is the problem... you want to generalize and put us all in the same boat as Eugene.   Makes for a more scary story.    That really diminishes the reality of the situation down there.    Drought is not a concern for most of WA and BC and very much a concern in Oregon.    

You want us all to be included based on your definition of "region".   

We know how this goes with snow... there are almost always big difference across our "region".    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That is the problem... you want to generalize and put us all in the same boat as Eugene.   Makes for a more scary story.    That really diminishes the reality of the situation down there.    Drought is not a concern for most of WA and BC.

All I said is that is has been a drier than normal year for most of the region, which it has. The other stuff is just ad hominem silliness.

The 18z GFS gets really interesting a bit down the road.  Looking quite likely the coldest weather shifts to the Western half of the country.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It’s just been a dry year for the region, with a small patch of near average north and east of Seattle.

The overall dryness has definitely been unusual. The May-August stretch was actually unprecedented for dryness in both the Willamette Valley and Puget Sound lowlands climate zones, according to the NCDC. #1 driest MJJA for both areas.

At any rate that is all behind us now.  I'm looking forward to a really interesting period coming up.

As I've mentioned a few times the extreme dryness of the warm seasons the past few years has been rather striking.  I actually enjoy it as long as the annual numbers are ok.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

At any rate that is all behind us now. I'm looking forward to a really interesting period coming up.

As I've mentioned a few times the extreme dryness of the warm seasons the past few years has been rather striking. I actually enjoy it as long as the annual numbers are ok.

Oh Jim...

It's just hard for me to watch you build yourself up every winter and spend the rest of the time hating this climate so much.

Would love to see you get a chance to move to the east side eventually.

All I said is a better pattern is coming which is pretty much a lock with this MJO wave setting up.  Strong model support for a good change too.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

All I said is a better pattern is coming which is pretty much a lock with this MJO wave setting up.  Strong model support for a good change too.

Is the problem... You say this kind of stuff a lot and then when it does not happens you spiral into a depression and disappear. Yes, there are some signs out there but good gracious it's way, way to early to call it a "lock". I do agree there is some promise, but that's about it right now - FAR from a lock, a good block or anything else at this time.  I assume that is what Jesse was alluding too.

Is the problem... You say this kind of stuff a lot and then when it does not happens you spiral into a depression and disappear. Yes, there are some signs out there but good gracious it's way, way to early to call it a "lock". I do agree there is some promise, but that's about it right now - FAR from a lock, a good block or anything else at this time. I assume that is what Jesse was alluding too.

No, he’s right that a better pattern is probably coming.

• Like 1

Is the problem... You say this kind of stuff a lot and then when it does not happens you spiral into a depression and disappear. Yes, there are some signs out there but good gracious it's way, way to early to call it a "lock". I do agree there is some promise, but that's about it right now - FAR from a lock, a good block or anything else at this time.  I assume that is what Jesse was alluding too.

I haven't said anything about an extreme pattern being a lock or anything of the sort.  All I have said is there's nothing pointing to this winter not having some fun interludes.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I haven't said anything about an extreme pattern being a lock or anything of the sort.  All I have said is there's nothing pointing to this winter not having some fun interludes.

Then my misunderstanding... Apologies to both. 

Everyone needs to relax, eat some leftover Turkey and stuffing...or Tofurkey and stuffing, get ready to watch the Apple Cup, or if not a sports fan turn on some Christmas music, Etc and quit being so D**n touchy about other people’s opinions. Let’s all cheer at the possibilities showing up over the last several runs!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Out Black Friday shopping? I won’t even set foot in a store the day after Thanksgiving. :lol:

Out Black Friday shopping? I won’t even set foot in a store the day after Thanksgiving. :lol:

The closest thing I got to in terms of Black Friday shopping was stopping at Costco for gas, then I quickly sped away from that mess and dropped by the lake house to check on things, nice and quiet there. Just how I like it.

19EDC09B-E1A1-49CC-8C8E-DEBB04982658.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just to add to the cold narrative. I have seen some serious volumes of birds flying el-southo the last couple days.

Same here.  I saw an endless stream of crows flying south the other day.

I want to make it clear I'm done with false hopes for this climate, but there is no doubt this winter has some decent potential given the oddball Nino (atmosphere not responding as it should), the fact this is an 8 - 9 winter, the fact we are approaching the bottom of a very deep solar minimum, the overall blockiness of the pattern this autumn, and the fact we have gotten some decently cold troughs digging in here about once a month (LRC).

I'm so burned out on this climate I could hardly get interested until just the last few days, but this is not the kind of year to just give up on it before winter even gets here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The closest thing I got to in terms of Black Friday shopping was stopping at Costco for gas, then I quickly sped away from that mess and dropped by the lake house to check on things, nice and quiet there. Just how I like it.

Just a fair warning...we had a table just like that and the glass top spontaneously exploded this summer on a hot day.  I mean it blew up into a million pieces.  It must have expanded and contracted one too many times!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ensembles weren't a trainwreck. A few solidly cold members, overall much wetter. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.