June 2023 Observations & Discussions

westMJim

Rather rare event just occurred for the month of June that really imo hammers home the point of UHI on climate. I will post this in both the June and July thread.

Minneapolis just recorded a warmer month (avg temp) than Des Moines,IA. It's only the 2nd time in history I can find this. ( July 2006). 

June 2023-   KMSP avg temp 74.9F (+5.3)  .93"    NINE 90F or above max temps - SEVEN lows 70F or warmer

June 2023     KDSM avg temp 73.7F (+1.5)  3.20"   THREE 90F or above max temps - ONE low 70F or warmer.

On avg- KDSM is much warmer than KMSP in the summer. AVG # of  days max temp 90F or warmer is 21 on last on current 30 year running mean. Only 3 this year so far.

KMSP is 13 -- that's a significant difference on a 30 yr running mean-- all ready 11 this year-- BLOWING AWAY KDSM

Avg # of days min temp is equal to or greater than 70F at MSP is 13F (all ready at seven)

Avg # of days min temp is equal to or greater than 70F at DSM is 21F ( only ONE so far)

Just though I would share

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

7 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Im getting much better. But still probably  a horrible 8 or 9 inches behind in the April to  June timeframe.  Lawns responding nice to past 10 days of rain. But absolutely zero runoff so my pond keeps dropping.  With exception  of a couple weeks almost no runoff going back to December  2021. But in the 2017 drought i went 18 months with  JUST ONE 1 INCH PLUS RAIN, that was west of Ottumwa!

Do you use the pond water for irrigation?   

It's another muggy morning, while not to the level @OKwx2k4 is experiencing, it's the type of air you can "wear".  The next couple days will feature the kind of storms that bubble up and can drop a lot of rain in a localized area.  Tomorrow looks cool, cloudy and showery.  Not fun for those outdoorsman and boaters/anglers.  My brother is heading out to the Fox Chain and going to the Sandbar on Lake Petite.  I've been telling him the front appears to be hanging around till Sun Pm so I'm not really interested in going on the boat today.  On the flip side, it warms up Mon & Tue and looks ideal for the Fireworks displays.  I'll take the precip the next couple days!

• Like 3

We ended June 2023 as the 9th coldest and 12th wettest month of June across over 130 years of Chester County PA records. The coldest June was the 65.2 back in 1907 - we ended this month at 66.1. Our wettest June was the 12.18" that fell in 1938 - we ended this month at 7.49" of rain. Clouds will be on the increase late today with showers chances ramping up by Sunday morning/ Showers some possibly heavy look likely tomorrow into Monday with Sun returning by Independence day.
Records for today High 103 (1901) / Low 43 (1952) / Rain 2.39" (1984)
image.png.9a632b6a89db852114e8a73b12ff4ed3.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

• Tom unpinned this topic