Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

That was this morning. Here is the afternoon.

Finally - about time.

Not sure exactly where they would be getting NE winds from if there favoring a solution more in line with the EURO. Winds stay N to NNW largely through the whole storm. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

For those interested, an updated special discussion on this storm.

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/2014/12/special-forecast-discussion-high-impact.html

Can you explain to me why you think areas will see maximum amounts to 10 to 12 inches? I'm thinking the hardest hit areas will probably only get 3-4 inches because of the very warm ground and marginal temps. I understand if temps are a big colder than progged and this is all snow some areas may get a bit more, but I still feel 3 or 4 inches is the ceiling for this event. Also a lot of these snow maps show 10:1 ratio and this event will likely be 8:1 at best.

Can you explain to me why you think areas will see maximum amounts to 10 to 12 inches? I'm thinking the hardest hit areas will probably only get 3-4 inches because of the very warm ground and marginal temps. I understand if temps are a big colder than progged and this is all snow some areas may get a bit more, but I still feel 3 or 4 inches is the ceiling for this event. Also a lot of these snow maps show 10:1 ratio and this event will likely be 8:1 at best.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some areas exceeding 6", but I highly doubt anyone will reach a foot. And ground temps have nothing to do with limiting accumulations for this event...

• Like 1

the soil temps is hovering mid 30s into the 40s.

the soil temps is hovering mid 30s into the 40s.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some areas exceeding 6", but I highly doubt anyone will reach a foot. And ground temps have nothing to do with limiting accumulations for this event...

Soil temps are in good shape so you guys are right. What I meant was on non-grassy areas the ground will be very warm and wet from this weekend and may keep the snow from accumulating on roads and driveways at least at first. That doesn't have to do with accumulation so I didn't make a very valid point there haha.

FYI the LP down in New Mexico is 3-4 MB stronger than expected per the previous models.

And, I think we could easily see a band of 4-8 with isolated amounts higher. I think this thing bombs out pretty good, and we get a nice defo band. It seems like every model run it's increasing the QPF, and if this thing bombs out, like I expect it too, we could see some areas cashing in pretty good. Models always tend to be too warm in systems like these in the cold sector. 

• Like 2

basiclly andrew at the weather is well experienced in these setups what he says are a fact so take this with a grain of salt.

I'm not trying to bash Andrew at all. He is very knowledgeable and his write-ups are fantastic. I'm a huge fan. I just truly think that 10-12 even with isolated totals is far from the realm of possibility. We will see, but I like my conservative 2-4 inches with a isolated 5-6 inches in the heaviest band. With convective potential and the pure strength of this storm maybe we can get some higher amounts, but I still think marginal temps is really working against this storm.

I'm not trying to bash Andrew at all. He is very knowledgeable and his write-ups are fantastic. I'm a huge fan. I just truly think that 10-12 even with isolated totals is far from the realm of possibility. We will see, but I like my conservative 2-4 inches with a isolated 5-6 inches in the heaviest band. With convective potential and the pure strength of this storm maybe we can get some higher amounts, but I still think marginal temps is really working against this storm.

i agree but he also has said that the low will go through eastren illinois so the heaviest snow will be in northwest il into wisc.

I believe you may be thinking the ground temps have too big an influence. I've seen many storms where the ground temps were less than favorable, but heavy snows still fell. Per latest model guidance, especially hi-res guidance, 10-12 may be possible.

• Like 2