Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

Well the PGFS is on it's own right now. You've got the NAM on it's own furthest East. Then everything else tracks the low through IN and MI for the most part.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

When I took a look at the jet stream structure on 12z 24th it almost seems positively tilted and no where near as deep of a trough as previously advertised.  This doesn't make much sense.  Until this storm starts to take shape late Monday in the central CONUS, we are not going to see model consistency.  Most of the jet energy is coming onshore today and we should see some changes on tonight's 00z run.  With the ridge off the west coast, this should translate to a deeper trough than what this run shows. 

Hm.

18z NAM taking the northern stream into N. KS/S. NE so far through 23. Way south than 12z at hr 29.

Yeah that's way south...

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Look where the 4km NAM takes the northern stream...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam4km/2014122118/nam4km_ref_frzn_us_8.png

That is probably going to make the southern energy dig even farther and phase better.  Pretty big change in about 6 hours on the 18z NAM.  Through 60hr...

18z NAM develops southern piece to far east....snow begins to break out towards SE IN/W OH towards end of run...now I've very curious to see what the 18z GFS will show.  That was a pretty big shift south with northern piece.  Might be because of better sampling.

18z NAM develops southern piece to far east....snow begins to break out towards SE IN/W OH towards end of run...now I've very curious to see what the 18z GFS will show.  That was a pretty big shift south with northern piece.  Might be because of better sampling.

Ends up really strengthening at the end of the run. Down to 990 in SE Ohio. Dropped like 5 mb last frame. 

4K NAM has the low down to 1001 or so at HR 60. Nearly 6 mb difference from the regular NAM.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam4km/2014122118/nam4km_ref_frzn_us_20.png

It really begins to take on a neg tilt shape towards the end of the run, which we all know, the model isn't as accurate at that range....

When looking at the 12z Euro Ensembles 500mb pattern on 00zz 25th and see a positive tilted trough, you begin to ask yourselff questions, why?  Well, I think there could be an explanation to that.  The negatives you see near OR/WA are neglecting the trough in the east to be deeper.  This could be a model error or it could be right, but the Euro likes to hang energy in the west.  Also, notice the massive ridging in E CA.  This should slow the system down and could be a reason why we are now seeing a Christmas Day event instead of an earlier arrival on Christmas Eve morning like we thought yesterday.

• Like 1

Going to be a huge hit. Lot of QPF developing on the left side, and rapidly strengthening. Pretty much heading due north. 

995 in S. IN at HR 69

991 in W. IN at HR 72

My head is spinning, each run is a different solution.  MKX commented that the models were converging toward a general solution, with this morning's PGFS being the outlier, but it doesn't sound like it to me.