Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

I've noticed this too. They really should say that there is a slight chance of a moderate accumulations.

Time to starting mentioning that imo. Going to see if any of them change there tune tonight.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Can't give the NAM any credit, its last two runs were on the NW side of the envelope, and since it's the first model out of the group, it will be noticed first if there is a run-wide change.

Good point. But my overall point is that people like to trash the NAM-- almost like it's the old NGM. The NAM nailed two events in NOV for the Upper Midwest.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I do find it pretty strange that the NAM doesn't show some really strong solution with this storm. Maybe it doesn't because of all the moving parts like Tom said.

My guess is that the EURO will have a band cutting up through MI again on this run.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I do find it pretty strange that the NAM doesn't show some really strong solution with this storm. Maybe it doesn't because of all the moving parts like Tom said.

Just time to admit that this one may be (and probably is) a dud for most.  Even those who do see snow will be the rare lucky ones, as the cold air is too marginal.

DSM is on pace to tie 2002 (one of JB's analogs) for least snowiest DEC ever at a trace. DSM missed the latest occurrence of any snow in DEC by 2 days this year. I'am usually not negative-- but I'am trying some reverse psychology on this horrible month for winter lovers.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

DSM is on pace to tie 2002 (one of JB's analogs) for least snowiest DEC ever at a trace. DSM missed the latest occurrence of any snow in DEC by 2 days this year. I'am usually not negative-- but I'am trying some reverse psychology on this horrible month for winter lovers.

Just wait until next week! Or at least that has be the phrase for this winter so far.

The Euro has actually improved snowfall totals for N and NW IA for the early week system. Keep the trend going and --- WHOA--  I might even have a white backyard  ( all I'am asking for Santa is .5 to .75" ) and DSM may move down the scale on least snowiest DEC.  SO sad that that is my current state of mind. NOV was like having a super hot chick talk to you at the bar only to have her husband return from the jon. Only Jan 06'  was worse. No way JB hits DEC right for temps as DSM is currently +6.1-- and JB forecasted -1 to -3F.

Enough venting. Even though it seems to be kind of working. :ph34r:

P GFS has a 984 L in S WI while nam is in eastern ohio and we are within 72 hrs

LOL

The parallel GFS slams Eastern Iowa lol. It kind of looks like some of the Euro ensembles. Models still don't have much of a clue and it's very frustrating. I don't think anybody can throw in the towel yet even at this juncture.

• Like 1