DUE TO LIMITED CONFIDENCE ISSUES WITH DAYS 3-5...LOW CONFIDENCE
ISSUES EXPECTED FOR DAY 6-7...DUE TO LACK OF CONSISTENCY WITH A
TRAILING SYSTEM ALONG THE BAROCLINIC ZONE. RUNS 24 HOURS AGO WERE
WELL SOUTH...BUT MORNING RUNS TRACK THE SYSTEM BACK OVER THE
GREAT LAKES REGION WITH THE ECMWF MUCH MORE ROBUST WITH A WINTER
EVENT NEXT FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY.

ANYONE WITH TRAVEL PLANS NEXT WEEK SHOULD STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST
FORECASTS.

12z GGEM...after reading one of the Disco's someone posted here, they talked about how the 12z GGEM had a quicker solution with the southern wave.  You can see that energy in the map below.  The Euro has a tendancy to hold back energy in the Rockies to long and the GGEM may be a bit to fast along with the GFS.  However, if that energy kicks out quicker, the southern piece has more time to develop and phase.  Obviously, a quicker phase is what we want so that is something to pay attn to as the model runs come in.

FWIW, even when we get better sampling by Sunday (ish), until this storm starts getting its act together in the central CONUS and when all the moving parts start to phase, this storm can still throw a curve ball.  These type of cyclone's almost always have some way of wrecking havoc in the modeling 24-48 hours before the event.

Posted about the models on TTB

2pm EST December 19: NOAA is experiencing a large data outage that is affecting all American models including the GFS, NAM, GEFS, and GEPS. The ECMWF, CMC, JMA, and NAVGEM are unaffected. 

3:00pm EST: Apparently the backup server also has problems. The 18z NAM is late, implying problems will continue until further notice. 18z GFS may fail to come in entirely. All depends on when NOAA fixes these data issues.

Must be North Korea! :)

• Like 4

Look at the trough dig on the leeward side of the Rockies, something I thought that would be pronounced as we move forward due to the ridge building more on the west coast.  The re-curving system in the GOA is helping carve out a deeper trough in Central CONUS.

there is a fantastic article on the weather centre's weather blog highlighting the christmas storn and andrew has said that the storm will go neg tilt and he also has showed about which states will get snow from eastren wisconsin to illinois getting acclumated snow with illinois are significant where totals surpass the 6+ benchmark.

Posted about the models on TTB

2pm EST December 19: NOAA is experiencing a large data outage that is affecting all American models including the GFS, NAM, GEFS, and GEPS. The ECMWF, CMC, JMA, and NAVGEM are unaffected. 

3:00pm EST: Apparently the backup server also has problems. The 18z NAM is late, implying problems will continue until further notice. 18z GFS may fail to come in entirely. All depends on when NOAA fixes these data issues.

Must be North Korea! :)

Anybody else having issues with Instant Weather Maps?? Last nights 00Z run was slow--- now it seems shot.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

And the last frame HR 120

Something like that would be intense. Nice moisture connection from the Atlantic Ocean. You don't usually see that unless a system is moving really slow.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

there is a fantastic article on the weather centre's weather blog highlighting the christmas storn and andrew has said that the storm will go neg tilt and he also has showed about which states will get snow from eastren wisconsin to illinois getting acclumated snow with illinois are significant where totals surpass the 6+ benchmark.

i assume you are refering to this article. http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/2014/12/christmas-eve-potentially-significant_19.html

If so, he never states in the artilcle what he thinks the storm is going to do. He is just describing what each model is showing right now

This is reminiscent of the Christmas blizzard of 2009. That one was a larger storm but I recall that storm showing up to 2 feet of snow in e Iowa on the models about 4-5 days out only to shift significantly further west. Could happen here too if this phases earlier as Tom stated

This is reminiscent of the Christmas blizzard of 2009. That one was a larger storm but I recall that storm showing up to 2 feet of snow in e Iowa on the models about 4-5 days out only to shift significantly further west. Could happen here too if this phases earlier as Tom stated

That storm was quite nondescript locally, mostly a heavy soaking cold rain, I think we saw an inch or two of snow at some point, but that was a weird storm, but an easy one to forget in Milwaukee.

I would take it. Ended up with a foot of snow here and a storm I will never forget pushing. I can almost guarantee it ain't going to happen but man would that be something.

Over an inch of rain and 5" of snow. I remember coming home to snow as hard as concrete on the driveway.

was just noticing that a member on accuweather fourms said that southren illinois getting 15 inches of wrap around snow.

We'll that person was right...

Thought I'd show the last map of the 12km NAM. Showing the system to the north wrapping the cold air ahead of the system. 

post-7-0-59088200-1419046236_thumb.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I noticed that on the nam that it seemed like it was showing like it could potentially phase sooner. I wish we could see the next few frames of the nam

However, it is the 84HR of the NAM...but I know what your saying.  Let's hope this kind of trend continues.  Sure looks like it wants to begin the process of phasing and cut early.