Christmas Eve Potential Major Winter Storm

Tom

12z GFS...can't wait to see the NAM get in range and start showing some lolipop totals.  This storm really starting to take on the look I have been dreaming about since watching this storm 4 days ago.  The Jet Stream structure and teleconnections all supported this to be an eventful storm for Christmas Eve.  Hang on to your hats!

I need some help, friends. I've got two family holiday parties on Christmas Eve. One in Plainfield starting at 1:30pm, and the other in Belvidere that starts at 4pm. Although we're nowhere near a final solution yet & things may go more west or back east, what's the timing looking like for falling snow?

12z GFS shows it starting to snow around 6-9:00am Christmas Eve.

You probably meant dynamic cooling. Woke up this morning from my "red eye" flight and Bingo!  Boy, this storm is def taking on a sweet defo band.  Like you said, we are still 3-4 days from the event and there will likely be many smaller fine details to iron out.  Snowfall potential certainly on the rise.

Yeah my bad. Nice catch! lol

• Like 1

00z Euro Control backing off the EC storm idea from earlier and now seeing the southern Midwest to Lakes snow potential.  Euro Ensembles are also going back to it's idea from a couple days ago with a north/south snow band orientation like the Control.

12z GFS shows it starting to snow around 6-9:00am Christmas Eve.

Oh....goody. Lol. Typically I'd love snow on Christmas Eve because everyone used to have to come to my parents' house & I live close to them. But I gotta do actual travel this year. Add in the fact that both places are 90 minutes apart, with Christmas Eve traffic, and I'm looking at an I-88 Navidad.

• Like 1

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Won't know until like 12-18 hours before the event. With all the moving parts and phasing etc models usually don't get a good grasp on it until the event is happening.

Especially with a deepening and explosive scenario like this one is poised to become...

Euro is much stronger with southern stream at 48 compared to 12z yesterday

Likely to cut farther west from its previous runs.  Location is near TX/OK border as well so this should def enable it to start heading NNE.  Should be a good run.

GFS Ensemble Mean

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014122012/gfs-ens_mslp_pwat_us_15.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014122012/gfs-ens_mslp_pwat_us_16.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014122012/gfs-ens_mslp_pwat_us_17.png