2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Fun reading y'alls reports from the storm. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Thanks! This has been a very interesting event for Socal, as summer rain in the coastal areas, especially to this magnitude, is quite rare here!

Hopefully the PNW gets some beneficial rains soon to help improve the air quality and help to extinguish the fires in the region!

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

Winds are finally calming. No big gusts in about an hour. Rain has tapered off to a light, but continuous mist. 2.33" yesterday, another .02" since midnight.

Temperature was strange yesterday. The high temperature was at 12:00 AM and the low temperature was at 11:59 PM.

54 minutes ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

Got 1.86" at the airport yesterday, smashing the old record of 0.09". 

Mt. San Jac recorded over 11".

Certainly some very impressive totals in spots. Palm Springs had their wettest August day on record, and 2023 is now their second wettest August.

Seems like the flooding overall wasn't quite as catastrophic as predicted?

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Certainly some very impressive totals in spots. Palm Springs had their wettest August day on record, and 2023 is now their second wettest August.

Seems like the flooding overall wasn't quite as catastrophic as predicted?

It was not, and I think the unexpectedly fast movement of the low was the cause of that. It was supposed to be a 2-day event and only ended up being one day. There were definitely still impacts, particularly in the deserts where mud and debris in the roads still has some major highways closed.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

14 hours ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

It was not, and I think the unexpectedly fast movement of the low was the cause of that. It was supposed to be a 2-day event and only ended up being one day. There were definitely still impacts, particularly in the deserts where mud and debris in the roads still has some major highways closed.

Hilary accelerated upon making landfall and continued speeding up for a while. We didn't get the convection that was expected, although the deserts did.

Also, somehow I missed this on Sunday afternoon.

• Storm 1

2.75" fell here in Orange from late Saturday night August 19 to late Sunday night / very early Monday morning August 21 from Hilary. This is the largest one storm total I have ever had during the month of August. The amount actually exceeded the 2" to 2.5" total forecast for my area, although I believe 2"-3" were forecast at one point. The remnants of Dolores in July 2015 was quite impressive, too, and that was the wettest July total I have recorded.

• Storm 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:33 PM, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Some years ago, back on AccuWeather forums - we had a major winter storm pass through here in SoCal, and about 30 or 40 eastern US members were all watching our California Wx thread but none of them were saying anything (AccuWeather had a feature where you could see members watching a thread). Our storm was apparently expected to have a major effect on them as it passed through the continental US and they wanted to know how we Californians were dealing with it and watch our OBS. None of them wanted to speak to us, though. Interesting from our perspective.

• Storm 2

3 hours ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

2.75" fell here in Orange from late Saturday night August 19 to late Sunday night / very early Monday morning August 21 from Hilary. This is the largest one storm total I have ever had during the month of August. The amount actually exceeded the 2" to 2.5" total forecast for my area, although I believe 2"-3" were forecast at one point. The remnants of Dolores in July 2015 was quite impressive, too, and that was the wettest July total I have recorded.

That event was incredible. I recorded 1.25" from it, so Hilary overtakes it as my biggest summer winner, and by over an inch too.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1
  • bongocat-test 1