Days Per Year of 90°> Where You Live

Guest happ

August is hot but mostly north and west of the Southwest/ Mountain States

Michael Ventrice

Departures have occurred almost exactly along and east of the Continental Divide. Less so down in the southwest.

Been a beautiful month here (except for the lack of rain), approaching -5 departure now on the month.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Departures have occurred almost exactly along and east of the Continental Divide. Less so down in the southwest.

Been a beautiful month here (except for the lack of rain), approaching -5 departure now on the month.

It has more or less continued down through the southwest. The continental divide runs through New Mexico.

It has more or less continued down through the southwest. The continental divide runs through New Mexico.

Tomayto/Tomahto. It runs through NM and along the boarder of AZ so it's not exactly right along the divide in the SW as I mentioned. Obviously wave lengths aren't going to follow in a vertical line so that graphic still looks pretty accurate.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I'm finally at the point where I've (mostly) acclimated to the heat and humidity. At least up until heat indices reach 110*F.

Ran a 10K this morning while it was 90/78, and made it through without any pain or profanity.

I'm finally at the point where I've (mostly) acclimated to the heat and humidity. At least up until heat indices reach 110*F.

Ran a 10K this morning while it was 90/78, and made it through without any pain or profanity.

We are getting nice relief on the West Coast.

42 days 90F >

Similar story here – After 16 90+ days in July, Bozeman hasn't seen any this month.

Had 3 at my house in July and that's been it as well.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Home station approaching #50, even with the much cooler weather in late July/August. Also have recorded 81 days with heat indices at/above 90*F, 67 days with heat indices at/above 95*F, 34 days with heat indices at/above 100*F, 19 days with heat indices at/above 105*F, and 4 days with heat indices at/above 110*F. Should finish with between 60-70 days at/above 90*F, and probably 110-120 days with heat indices at/above 90*F.

Also, I haven't observed a dewpoint above 80*F yet, which is interesting since 6/7 most recent summers have reached at least 82*F by now. Hopefully this continues to be the case. ;)

Feels nicer down here in coastal Georgia than it does back home.

#swampcapitalofthewesternhemisphere

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KDCA

So, all of the Wunderground and WxBug stations around my home station recorded dewpoints between 82*F and 86*F this afternoon, and mine topped out at 80.1*F. I wonder if my new sensor is reading too low with the humidity.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not home right now. Talk about a miserable day.

Almost a foot of rain in 3 weeks probably has something to do with the dewpoints today. I sense another torrid start to September on the way.

Probably at least a dozen 90+ days. :lol:

Another 80*F+ dewpoint day @ DCA. Peak at 90/81.

In a pedestrian airmass in the middle of a solar eclipse. :lol:

#swamp

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KDCA

Another day w/ dewpoints approaching 80*F back home in DC. Currently 89*F/79*F.

That said, I'm excited about the possibility of an early finish to summer this year, just in time for my return home on 8/28. We haven't seen the heat/humidity wrap up in August in almost a decade.

Another day w/ dewpoints approaching 80*F back home in DC. Currently 89*F/79*F.

That said, I'm excited about the possibility of an early finish to summer this year, just in time for my return home on 8/28. We haven't seen the heat/humidity wrap up in August in almost a decade.

Looks like your region has only seen a couple below normal Septembers in the past decade, with 2013 being the most recent one.

Sep13TDeptSERCC.png

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks like your region has only seen a couple below normal Septembers in the past decade, with 2013 being the most recent one.

Sep13TDeptSERCC.png

Correct, however I'm just talking about when our summer weather pattern (Bermuda High) terminates. September 2013 still featured a heatwave, and was a swampy/humid month overall with warm overnight lows/cool daytime highs. So, it doesn't really meet the criteria I'm looking for, despite running cool overall.

It's been awhile since we've transitioned out of our Bermuda High circulation in August, so I'm actually skeptical that it really happens this way.

Looks like back home topped out at 96/77 this afternoon.

We might be able to avoid 95*F+ highs for the remainder of 2017 given this MJO periodicity, but that won't preclude the influx of humid tropical air masses, with Atlantic/Gulf SSTs still in the 80s and 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't touched 90*F since 8/22. It has truly been an incredible run of beautiful weather, during what is usually our most swampy time of year.

We've still seen dewpoints in the low/mid 70s at times, but that is easily tolerable compared to what this climate is capable of.

If we don't hit 90*F tomorrow, then it will probably be our earliest final 90*F+ day since at least 2004, as the upcoming surge of tropical moisture and clouds/convection will keep daytime highs down.

We haven't touched 90*F since the third week of August. It has truly been an incredible run of beautiful weather, during what is usually our most swampy time of year.

We've still seen dewpoints in the low/mid 70s at times, but that is easily tolerable compared to what this climate is capable of.

If we don't hit 90*F tomorrow, then there's a good chance we're done with 90*F+ temperatures until next spring/summer!

August was also mostly pleasant up until the last week but September can often record some of the hottest temps of the year and essentially is a summer month; 90's regularly occur right through October.

51 days > 90°

• Like 1

Today will probably be day 80 of 90+ at KSLC, and hopefully the last for the year. This puts it at number 2, behind 1961s 82 days. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Today will probably be day 80 of 90+ at KSLC, and hopefully the last for the year. This puts it at number 2, behind 1961s 82 days.

Yikes, my condolences. I can't imagine having to endure that many days above 90*F.

Looks like we're done with 90*F+ days this year. Quite the accomplishment considering our last 90*F+ day was 8/22.

A very different late summer pattern this year, to say the least,

when compared to the last decade and beyond. Haven't seen anything like it since 2004.

DEN managed to notch another one today, making it 46 for the year. Could be their last one. 

Denver is above 90 right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, 45 days at the official weather station in Craig (which is a lot for any location above 6000 feet).   I would assume that this might be a record, but I can't verify that without going though all the years and counting them.  

2017 90+ days (with the average in parentheses) 

June = 6 (2)

July = 24 (11)

August = 11 (6)

September = 4 (0.1)

Total = 45 (19.1)

So much for no more 90*F+ days. We're already 89.2*F @ 1pm likely reaching the low 90's today, tomorrow looks hotter.

Heat indices might surpass 100*F tomorrow. Dewpoints will increase into the low 70's. #TheSwampLivesOn

All the cicadas are screaming again like it's late July. Spiders weaving giant orb webs in trees and gazebos. Dragonflies and mosquitoes everywhere.

The only noticeable difference from summer is the reduced sun angle and northeasterly breeze, as opposed to southerly.

So much for no more 90*F+ days. We're already 89.2*F @ 1pm likely reaching the low 90's today, tomorrow looks hotter.

Heat indices might surpass 100*F tomorrow. Dewpoints will increase into the low 70's. #TheSwampLivesOn

The people at the Global Citizen concert in NYC looked hot/ sweaty yesterday.

We've had nearly 2 weeks w/ no 90's here. Dry heat coming soon.

All the cicadas are screaming again like it's late July. Spiders weaving giant orb webs in trees and gazebos. Dragonflies and mosquitoes everywhere.

The only noticeable difference from summer is the reduced sun angle and northeasterly breeze, as opposed to southerly.

Have you ever thought about going into writing horror novels? :lol:

• Like 1

Looks like the dewpoint was only 65 F there. About the average for Southern California this past summer.

Looks like the dewpoint was only 65 F there. About the average for Southern California this past summer.

Yeah, the N/NE winds advect drier air in here. When things decouple tonight, we'll likely see dews spike near/above 70*F.

Maxed at 90/68 here this afternoon, so heat index ~ 95*F.

Have you ever thought about going into writing horror novels? :lol:

:lol:

Really feels like I'm living in one right now.

52 was the count at RDM this summer. Around 47 here in Bend with many days 88-89. Glad it's over, we may get up to 80 but with lows in the upper 30s it's enjoyable.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"