2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

The Santa Barbara area did quite well.  I picked up around 6.05" (I had to empty my rain gauge so it would not overflow).  

This storm drenched the Cachuma watershed and put significant runoff into Cachuma.  As of 8 am on 2/17/2017 Cachuma was at 18.2% of capacity and today 2/18/2017 at 8 am it was at 32.5%.  The 24 hour rise is 27689 acre feet, nearly double from the lakes low last Fall.

• Like 1

Dylan, on 18 Feb 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:Dylan, on 18 Feb 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

The Santa Barbara area did quite well.  I picked up around 6.05" (I had to empty my rain gauge so it would not overflow).  

This storm drenched the Cachuma watershed and put significant runoff into Cachuma.  As of 8 am on 2/17/2017 Cachuma was at 18.2% of capacity and today 2/18/2017 at 8 am it was at 32.5%.  The 24 hour rise is 27689 acre feet, nearly double from the lakes low last Fall.

That's great news; here's more feedback from NWS_LA yesterday:

"Overall, Santa Barbara rainfall totals so far have varied from 

3.5" up to just under 9 inches in the Santa Ynez Mtn Range. 

Ventura County received just over 8" in the mountains and coast 

and valleys varied from 2.5 to 5 inches with Ojai receiving up to

6.5". As for Los Angeles County. The rain did not pick up until 

this afternoon, but it certainly left a mark. As of 7 pm...The LA 

County Mtns have received over 5" while valleys were up to around 

2.5 to 3". Coastal areas in LA county were around 1.5 to 2 inches 

for the most part. So far Downtown Los Angeles have received less 

than 2 inches, but it will continue to rain across LA County for 

several more hours. The record for rain at Downtown Los Angeles 

for today was 2.18" set in 1884. So a bit surprised based on rain 

totals that Downtown LA will likely come up short of the record."

• Like 1

Here's a good site that shows total rainfall to date and percentage of normal, as well as the annual averages, for all of California.

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOWRKCLI.php

Nice to see us above the annual averages most areas for a change, but it will take a lot more to end the drought.

• Like 1

1.53" fell here in Orange from the strong storm on Friday. This storm underperformed somewhat for this area, since totals were expected to be 2-4". It was a significant storm, but the expected totals were too high. I picked up 1.94" back on January 12, and a hefty total of 3.70" from Jan 21-23, so this certainly wasn't the biggest storm of the season for my area.

We don't need this annoying May Gray in February. We either need rain or sunshine. Otherwise the clouds are useful for nothing.

Remember plants need both sunshine and rain to grow, but not cloudy weather with occasional drizzle.

We're all going to die someday.

DesertDAC, on 20 Feb 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

One of the mildest winters I've seen for 25 years in the SW, and fairly wet too (Oct-June is our dry season). The California storm that was supposed to cloud us over half the long weekend went north, and today it's headed to the 60's and nothing but blue skies.

Good to hear from New Mexico  

• Like 1

The clouds haven't interfered with spring tree blossoms; my neighbors tree

Most years they start middle of January. This year they did not start until early February.

Also I've noticed that after a big storm, hills don't become green until after a few warm, sunny days. By May they are always brown already, which proves marine layer drizzle has no benefit whatsoever.

Finally I have never seen jacarandas bloom in spring until after the first heat wave.

Mr Marine Layer, on 20 Feb 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Most years they start middle of January. This year they did not start until early February.

Also I've noticed that after a big storm, hills don't become green until after a few warm, sunny days. By May they are always brown already, which proves marine layer drizzle has no benefit whatsoever.

Finally I have never seen jacarandas bloom in spring until after the first heat wave.

Yes the evergreen Pear often begins to flower around Christmas. I took photos of acacia trees also flowering.  

Another 0.10 from overnight showers; all the action is in Central California. Perhaps another storm this weekend.

68/ 58

Feb: 4.37

• Like 1

Jacarandas are subtropical (being native to Argentina and Bolivia), which is probably one of the reasons why it requires warmer weather before they bloom.

Dan the Weatherman, on 22 Feb 2017 - 02:47 AM, said:

Jacarandas are subtropical (being native to Argentina and Bolivia), which is probably one of the reasons why it requires warmer weather before they bloom.

What I haven't figured out about jacaranda trees is that they seem to flower first closest to the coast and then inland.  I worked in the South Bay and would notice jacarandas blooming a week or two before than in my area which is around 20 miles inland.

First day that was not mostly cloudy in a long time. Sunset is almost one hour later than its earliest time now and as we approach the Spring Equinox (declination less than 10 degrees now) the rate at which it gets dark after sunset will continue to get faster, but not by very much. It gets dark fastest (relative to sunset time) at the Equinoxes.

A reverse example of wind generated warmth; cold air mass today 

PASADENA        N/A     57  32  38 N1          N/A                  

SAN RAFAEL HILLS   N/A     48  25  40 NW6G20      N/A                  

Well, the sunset is now one hour later than it was on December 4, when it bottomed out at 4:42 PM. Not the same difference for sunrise times, however. Back on December 4, sunrise was 6:40 AM. Today was only 15 minutes earlier.

Also, the sun has been higher than 45 degrees at solar noon each day since February 18. Back on December 21, the maximum height was 32.94 degrees up.

SunClock2.png

After the first attempt failed, stupid Kansen Chu is once again trying to do away with Daylight Saving Time in California. He just won't give up, like Jill Stein with her recounts after the election. This could mean sunrise of 4:40 AM in June and sunsets before 7 PM for most of the summer. However, they are also proposing different time change dates than the rest of the U.S., which would be really stupid, or year-round Daylight Saving. Either would require a change to federal law. Or maybe this guy is counting on Calexit really happening.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Daylight Saving Time starting March 12. This could be the last year we do it.

Bonk, on 24 Feb 2017 - 7:12 PM, said:

Chilly indeed here in Modjeska - 31.4* this morning.  33* yesterday morning.

Nice to see that winter isn't over yet. It dipped below 50° around 9PM last night under calm/ clear conditions. 

L: 43

Friday: 64/ 45