March 2014 Observations and Discussions

Tom

tom skilling said too that longer range has cold air to april thanks for the snowcover and he said that by the snowcover the sun rays bounce back into space.

I think our snow cover will be gone in the next 2 weeks, but if it is even 500 miles away, the cold air shots have the ability to be below normal still. 

Will be interesting to track changes on this map.

The newer snow up to I-80 that fell after the February thaw should go pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I think our snow cover will be gone in the next 2 weeks, but if it is even 500 miles away, the cold air shots have the ability to be below normal still. 

Will be interesting to track changes on this map.

The newer snow up to I-80 that fell after the February thaw should go pretty quickly.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/National/nsm_depth/201403/nsm_depth_2014030605_National.jpg

the gfs outlooks point that there isgoing to be a -pna and +ao so that means that the longer range models sometimes over due themselves and sometimes they are wrong.

thanks geos that i was watching tom skilling 7 day forecast and he said that the warm spells will increase in frequency and the blocking is not present and winter will be done by the 16th of this month by+ao and -pna.

Im 100% sure he didn't say the winter will be done by the 16th if the long range gfs runs are right temps would be way below normal and would be lucky to get above freezing for the time period your referring to.

Cool little nugget in the NWS GRB AFD. A ridiculous 23 below normal for the 1st week of March. 

.LONG TERM...FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY
ISSUED AT 250 AM CST THU MAR 6 2014

THROUGH MARCH 5TH...THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE AT GREEN BAY FOR THE
MONTH OF MARCH WAS 2.6 OR AN INCREDIBLE 23 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.
THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THE WEATHER PATTERN WILL HAVE A COUPLE OF
DAYS OF SPRING LIKE WEATHER SUNDAY AND MONDAY...BEFORE TEMPERATURES
RETURN WELL BELOW NORMAL AGAIN BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.

Looking at the various GFS runs and it looks pretty boring for the northern midwest. Minus the warm up next Monday it looks like more of the same with no storms. The only bright spot is in GFS fantasy land. I can only wish!

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_360_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

12z GFS took a step in the right direction and kicks the energy out quicker and trying to phase the system in the Midwest.  Previous runs it was leaving the energy back in the SW while the trough kicked out in front of the wave.  Both Euro/GFS ensembles have better phasing.

• Like 1

just found out that we will looking at an elnino towards next winterso that means we will not have a harsh winter that we saw last winter.

There is talk of change to an El Niño pattern, but that isn't known for sure at this point. Would mean a winter much different from this year, though, if that were to transpire.

was just outside and it feels so mild that the snow is starting to melt.

Man, you've really jumped on the warmth train, huh? Lol.

I'm gonna be over here with the people that believe winter isn't over yet. And yes, I've read your posts about March 16th/18th, the PNA/AO/EPO/etc., but I'll take my chances in thinking we haven't seen our last flakes (or accumulating snow for that matter) of the season just yet.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

The later half of March is going to be very interesting with a possible major late season arctic surge and plenty of storminess.  This could even lead into April.  Baseball season may have some implications of snow from what I'm seeing.  Warm weather fans will be flying the White Flag when we are done with this winter.  If you really think a pattern like we have experienced this winter will turn warm in a sea of cold, you must be seeing something different.  I'm also noticing a buldge in strat warming in N.A. and now forming over east Asia/Alaska region which can set the table for a mid/late March outbreak of cold.

i was just outside and cleard snow off the driveway and it is so nice that the snow is starting to melt and i am thinking that we will get at lease two more shots of artic air before we start to warm up.

So you think we get AT LEAST 2 more shots of arctic air... And also think that we will not have any more snow this winter

Interesting 

ALERT, ALERT...............Latest 12Z Euro throws 30-42" to NE Ohio, NW and extreme north PA thru about its center point and then much of western NY. Wow, Euro really wants to phase this storm.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"