September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

I wonder if the 1926 Miami hurricane gave a tropical assist to the record-breaking cold wave in the Rockies/PNW that month. Something similar to what you're talking about, where it boosted a ridge in the eastern US and caused/enhanced an upstream buckle in the jet stream over western N. America? Just thinking out loud.

Yeah, looking at re-analysis, I think you're correct. That storm was clearly dumping a lot of heat/mass up there given the unusual intensity of the anticyclone relative to the pattern it was residing in, which constructively feeds back with the trough in the west.

• Like 2

And the forum breathes a collective sigh of relief. I have tamed the Tim Beast. For now....

You started all of this! Sanctimonious. I made a simple post this morning. See above. I think you read it like I was saying 100-degree heat was coming back. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's a stretch to say anything 14 days out is "likely". The 18z ensembles don't look ridgy in the long range.

Yeah, they actually retrograde the pattern and re-establish the troughing. Very positive Jesse index.

• Like 1

Both the Canadian ensembles and 18z GEFS reload the Western troughing. Both also have the -NAO/-PNA combo that has been missing for so many years.

Days 11-15 on both ensemble means:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/BF77B971-8E10-4428-85D9-93E8C3A215EE_zpsjthtdjvx.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/94585349-E488-4A93-A1C6-C01A2EE7EE60_zpscba0uryj.png

• Like 1

I know. That's why you wish meteorological pain and suffering on me all year. :wub:

We agree more than you portray on here... the worst parts of this summer were the really hot periods IMO.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Phil is posting clown range maps (day 15) from the 18Z GFS. :lol:

Trolling. :rolleyes:

I like seeing you squirm.

I like seeing you squirm.

Try harder then!    That is pathetic.   

And from October 1st - March 31st... I have have very low expectations so it will be really hard to make me squirm in my old age.    

Try harder then! That is pathetic.

And from October 1st - March 31st... I have have very low expectations so it will be really hard to make me squirm in my old age.

Lol.

I'm starting to think you do this on purpose. There's no way the upcoming trough is bothering you as much as you're trying to make it seem. Hook, line, bait, and sinker.

Thinking we'll have tropical storm Lee sometime tonight or tomorrow. Should be a future US threat, and could have pattern implications as well.

Lol.

I actually think you do this on purpose. There's no way the upcoming trough is bothering you as much as you're trying to make it seem.

Trolling.   

I would have been very bothered with hot and ridgy all of September for a variety of reasons.   

Warm day downsloping day here start to finish. Dropped to 54F last night around 1am then the downsloping kicked in and it bounced up near 60F and stayed there most of the night, ended getting up to near 76F and now it's slow to cool off. However, the air is super dry now with the dewpoint dropping down to 32F. It's going to get cold in sheltered areas tonight.

Yeah, tropical systems look like a very interesting wild card for blocking patterns thousands of miles away. I'm also reminded of when those typhoon remnants barreled into Alaska in November 2014, triggering the jet stream buckle that led to a pretty epic coast to coast cold wave.

Would be nice to see an actual scientific study on this.

A forum for the end of the world.

Except I wouldn't say I've been notably irritable this summer.

You and Tim have both gotten better at toning it down. But deep-seated irritability still shines through.  :)

I will say that you've never been nearly as bad as Tim at his worst. However, it's still fun to mock your distaste for summer warmth.

A forum for the end of the world.

You and Tim have both gotten better at toning it down. But deep-seated irritability still shines through. :)

I will say that you've never been nearly as bad as Tim at his worst. However, it's still fun to mock your distaste for summer warmth.

Sadly you still need plenty of work.

• Like 1

You and Tim have both gotten better at toning it down. But deep-seated irritability still shines through.  :)

I barely made a complaining peep during the first wettest winter in history... 2015-16.   

And I did great through the second wettest winter in history until we got into late March with no end in sight.   I was pretty surly last April and first half of May... it got a little ridiculous and my expectations increase with the sun angle.   :)