November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

45 here.  Business as usual. Will come close to freezing at night Mon/Tue but likely will stay above.  Will have to check the records to see when our latest freeze was but we still haven't had one.  Not sure when the next opportunity will be when looking at the GFS but it's not looking good in the lowlands down here.  The mountains will be buried.

Pretty much every major station in the valley has had a freeze. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I was playing cards with my roommates and went out to check the snow again, there must be 3 or 4 inches out there now. d**n.

Wow. I think this is the heaviest early season snowfall on record for you guys. Late October 1991 had 2-3" in western Whatcom Co. but it sounds like you might have gone above that. 

Yeah, pretty underwhelming from Olympia up through Bellingham though. The South and Central Sound region needs a good Fraser River component to score those types of impressive highs.

True. I can see why Jim described that event as ho-hum. SEA's numbers were underwhelming, although even the outlying areas of Seattle dropped into the single digits for lows. 

It was a very impressive event down this way, that's for sure. It's also the kind of event where even a little bit of snow going in would have resulted in sub-zero lows in the valley. 

Dec 2013 comes to mind with that for sure.  Eugene tied their all-time record low of -10 I believe.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Dec 2013 comes to mind with that for sure.  Eugene tied their all-time record low of -10 I believe.

Correct. December 8th. Absolutely amazing Max/Min for the day.

Mean Temperature  5 °F     Max Temperature  19 °F     Min Temperature  -10 °F

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airportfrompws/KEUG/2013/12/8/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

That's a good comparison. Both Dec 2013 and Jan 1974 produced -14c over SLE @ 850...the difference was snowcover. Both were also south-centric with the Seattle area underperforming. Fyi the record at EUG is -12 in Dec 1972, so they actually saw their 2nd coldest reading on record in 2013. 

• Like 1

That's a good comparison. Both Dec 2013 and Jan 1974 produced -14c over SLE @ 850...the difference was snowcover. Both were also south-centric with the Seattle area underperforming. Fyi the record at EUG is -12 in Dec 1972, so they actually saw their 2nd coldest reading on record in 2013. 

Ahhh, -12..... Both shatter PDX's puny -3.

When I came home from work I noticed something I don’t remember seeing before. Shawnigan Lake was producing large amounts of steam fog during the afternoon as the snow was falling. What made it very unusual was there was no steam fog this morning. I’m sure the lake was probably quite warm on the surface after a hot summer and recent string of sunny warm days.

• Like 2

I wonder if its snowing along Britton Rd as hard as its snowing at Barkley Village?

Yes it is.Possibly more so? Brennan and I went for a drive. Squalicum HS had about 2" on the pavement. Mount Baker Hwy in general was snowing pretty good. Unfortunately, Brennan moved my neck of the woods and it's lackluster over here. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, looking at Google Maps I can see how that would be an issue for your area. I bet you still get more snow on average than here though :)

Only my 2nd winter here, last winter was a dud in the beginning, but then picked up later on. In fact, tonight is pretty deja vu for me, because last winter we started off with me watching the Barkley cams get covered and snow fall all night long, while it was 36 degrees and raining here. Would like to see how this location performs with an actual arctic outbreak, with a low sliding down the coast. Didn't get that last year 

• Like 1

Only my 2nd winter here, last winter was a dud in the beginning, but then picked up later on. In fact, tonight is pretty deja vu for me, because last winter we started off with me watching the Barkley cams get covered and snow fall all night long, while it was 36 degrees and raining here. Would like to see how this location performs with an actual arctic outbreak, with a low sliding down the coast. Didn't get that last year 

Yeah, last winter there was an abrupt cutoff line for that one event in December a couple miles south of here, right around Boulevard Park. When was the last event like that?