2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Sounds like some places are getting hit good.  Lucky you were able to finally get the southern branch into the equation.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No March Miracle for places south of L.A. as most Orange County locations got below 0.50" and never had the atmospheric river pass over them. More like March Madness as one of the most anticipated storms of the season was upset by the continuing Southern California drought.

Dan the Weatherman is in the Sweet 16 of Weather Forums March Madness today and I will be rooting for him and the college representing him.

Looks like some warmer weather by the middle of next week, but with this week's forecast being a complete failure, it's far from certain.

No March Miracle for places south of L.A. as most Orange County locations got below 0.50" and never had the atmospheric river pass over them. More like March Madness as one of the most anticipated storms of the season was upset by the continuing Southern California drought.

Dan the Weatherman is in the Sweet 16 of Weather Forums March Madness today and I will be rooting for him and the college representing him.

Looks like some warmer weather by the middle of next week, but with this week's forecast being a complete failure, it's far from certain.

A front stalling a few miles north of where it was forecasted to doesn’t mean the models have the entire pattern wrong. Sounds like much of Southern California got some very beneficial rainfall.

Much cooler day than yesterday today. Last day on a weekend with above average temperatures was way back on February 17.

Trees in front of my house are slow to get leaves this year. Last year this time they had some already, but that was a warm March. Other trees of the same kind have leaves already, while others don't.

• Like 1

"SEE EVERYTHING BAD ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE IN A SINGLE CALIFORNIA TOWN" https://www.wired.com/story/montecito-is-everything-bad-about-climate-change-in-a-single-california-town/

Yeah. Flash floods hitting areas around burn scars. It happens most every year. I don't see how climate change has anything to do with that?

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

People who jog in shorts and short sleeves in 45 F weather in the morning must have quite a tolerance for cold, but if 45 is comfortable for summer attire to them, then 75 F must be unbearably hot.

Also looks like no rain for a while. Downtown LA could still reach June 30 with less than 5 inches.

Pleasant evening/ feels like spring

79/ 53

It’s hard for me to picture how this could be, when you guys seem to regularly get days warmer than this in December/January. Maybe just the lusher greenery and blooming flowers?

It’s generally difficult for me to wrap my head around how confusing seasonality must feel down there some years.

It’s hard for me to picture how this could be, when you guys seem to regularly get days warmer than this in December/January. Maybe just the lusher greenery and blooming flowers?

It’s generally difficult for me to wrap my head around how confusing seasonality must feel down there some years.

From experience... its definitely the greenery and the flowering trees.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hope this is not the end of rain. If this is a weak la nina/ or whatever enso than perhaps noteworthy storms will continue. April has not provided much rainfall over the past 10 years.

April

2017:  0.03

2016:  049

2015:  0.24

2014:  043

2013:  0.05

2012:  2.35

2011:  0.00

2010:  2.18

2009:  0.12

2008:  0.05

Strong inversion/ also spring-like

L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     70  53  54 VRB3      30.05F                 
L.A. AIRPORT   MOSUNNY   59  52  77 W10       30.08F                 

post-226-0-72323600-1522354941_thumb.jpg

People who jog in shorts and short sleeves in 45 F weather in the morning must have quite a tolerance for cold, but if 45 is comfortable for summer attire to them, then 75 F must be unbearably hot.

Also looks like no rain for a while. Downtown LA could still reach June 30 with less than 5 inches.

Even though it has been wetter over the last month in Socal, I am still categorizing this rainy season as abysmal due to the ridiculously low season totals. The July 1 to date rainfall for Downtown Los Angeles is 4.68", which is flirting with 1960-61 totals, which was the driest season on record for L.A. at that time with a grand total of 4.85". We have simply had too many of these sub 7" seasons for Los Angeles ever since the beginning of this millennium. 

If this season ends on this total by any chance, it will be the driest La Nina year ever recorded in L.A., since at least before 1900. The driest years on record have always been set during either weak El Nino or ENSO neutral conditions. The driest La Ninas come in around 7" or just above 7", with 1971-72 being one of the driest.

• Like 1

Even though it has been wetter over the last month in Socal, I am still categorizing this rainy season as abysmal due to the ridiculously low season totals. The July 1 to date rainfall for Downtown Los Angeles is 4.68", which is flirting with 1960-61 totals, which was the driest season on record for L.A. at that time with a grand total of 4.85". We have simply had too many of these sub 7" seasons for Los Angeles ever since the beginning of this millennium. 

If this season ends on this total by any chance, it will be the driest La Nina year ever recorded in L.A., since at least before 1900. The driest years on record have always been set during either weak El Nino or ENSO neutral conditions. The driest La Ninas come in around 7" or just above 7", with 1971-72 being one of the driest.

Hoping for another AR ^_^

Thursday: 81/ 53

https://twitter.com/RobElvington

post-226-0-88683900-1522427579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1