2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Quote from NWS Hanford Forecast Discussion

.DISCUSSION...It`s not often that you can talk about "June Gloom" in the San Joaquin Valley and adjacent foothills, but today started out that way throughout much of this region. As of this writing, clouds are still blanketing the west slopes of the Sierra and the east side of the San Joaquin Valley from Fresno county southward. Otherwise, this afternoon is remarkably cooler than 24 hours ago with temperatures trending ten to as much as 25 degrees lower than yesterday afternoon.

Fun fact:

Today's maximum here of 61º, set within a few days of the summer solstice, was 20 degrees cooler than the maximum of 81º I recorded on 12-29-17, within a few days of the winter solstice.

Eugene yesterday: 

MAXIMUM 87 

MINIMUM 49

Figured you're in Oregon for summer.  

Seth Borenstein's graphic make sense to me since I've been recording daily values here starting in 1995.  I was puzzled for a while that my location was some sort of temperature anomaly compared to historic averages in Pasadena and USC, for example. Urban heat factors in most assuredly even in hillside woodlands. 

81/ 57

Basically boring [typical] early summer conditions. It is always a bit painful to watch the Weather Channel [for many reasons but specifically] when so much of the nation, including the PacificNW, is getting in on thunderstorms. Pattern of dry troughs/ relatively weak ridges appears set for now.  

L: 61

Might be a bit muggy here, but Houston has a dewpoint of 81 F right now.

Much of the East Coast is suffering mightily. I know when DP's hit 70° how everyone here screams "uncle". Nonstop AC is the only solution. Yesterday Pasadena came close to reaching heat indexes but should stay below that threshold today.

PASADENA        N/A     79  64  61 NE2         N/A  

MORENO VALLEY    N/A     87  65  47 W3        28.05F          

Much of the East Coast is suffering mightily. I know when DP's hit 70° how everyone here screams "uncle". Nonstop AC is the only solution. Yesterday Pasadena came close to reaching heat indexes but should stay below that threshold today.

PASADENA        N/A     79  64  61 NE2         N/A  

MORENO VALLEY    N/A     87  65  47 W3        28.05F          

I think that barometer reading is a little off for Moreno Valley. It would take a raging Cat 5+ hurricane to produce that type of reading!!

I think that barometer reading is a little off for Moreno Valley. It would take a raging Cat 5+ hurricane to produce that type of reading!!

The reading is actually correct it's just not corrected for sea-level (standard) atmospheric pressure.

For example my current pressure reading is 24.73" (at 5,350' of elevation) with a standard pressure reading of 29.94". Stations usually automatically correct for the altitude of the reporting site for a standard datum but if it's raw data it might sometimes report as its true pressure.

All very important numbers in aviation!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The reading is actually correct it's just not corrected for sea-level atmospheric pressure.

Same thing this morning:

MORENO VALLEY N/A 69 66 88 SW1 28.04S 

Same thing this morning:

MORENO VALLEY N/A 69 66 88 SW1 28.04S 

Yeah it's just reporting in raw format but it is reporting accurately.

Corrected for that sites elevation (1,631') and converted to standard pressure it would read 29.71"

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history