California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Guest happ

Diminishing showers over north coastal & Sierra produced generally under 0.50.  Snow levels too high.

BLU : BLUE CANYON AP 5280 : 52 / 41 / 0.69

We will cherish these cool temps for maybe another day.  Next week looks like the exact repeat of last week w/ strong offshore winds and excessively low dew points :o

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP [6314'] : 57 / 40 / 0.05 /

DEATH VALLEY [-194] : 98 / 73

H: 75

L: 56

Guest happ

Probably the last of the rain for a while is winding down over far northern California, mostly west of coastal mountains.  Some RAWS were close to 1"

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE [6314] :  51 /  35 /  0.02

DEATH VALLEY [-194] :  99 /  71

H: 76

L: 57

-

.. Certainly may be "happ". But I'm see a slight potential leastwise, for a basic window opening up again from the 16th through the 19th.

That would make sense to me as I believe we will have one more storm after all of these Santa Ana winds forecast for next week. If it does rain, I hope it ends this roller coaster pattern that we have been dealing with this month and that the rest of the spring is springlike rather than fall-like.

-
.. Don't know about actual rain as far south as where you are more south Dan.

"happ" had been referring, and so so had I, more to Northern California. 

But even so, the main cold element of what I'm looking at that could move in post the 16th, could supply you with some amount of more general cover (cooler energy.) I'm thinking. .. Best case scenario, where looking at any of this above.

---

Guest happ

Strong winds [gusts 45mph] knocked down trees in Santa Monica/ Culver City. 

High Fire Danger all week: 

URGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
907 AM PDT SUN MAY 11 2014

...RED FLAG WARNINGS IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY EVENING FOR THE
MOUNTAINS AND VALLEYS OF VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES FOR
GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...

.NORTH TO NORTHEAST FLOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS VENTURA AND LOS
ANGELES COUNTIES THROUGH MONDAY...BRINGING WARM AND DRY CONDITIONS.
ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND VALLEYS OF VENTURA COUNTY...WIND GUSTS
BETWEEN 35 AND 50 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH EARLY THIS
AFTERNOON...WITH SOMEWHAT WEAKER WINDS TONIGHT AND MONDAY.
HOWEVER...RELATIVE HUMIDITY WILL DROP NOTICEABLY INTO THE SINGLE
DIGITS TO MID TEENS TODAY...WITH WIDESPREAD SINGLE DIGITS HUMIDITY
EXPECTED ON MONDAY. OVERNIGHT RECOVERIES TONIGHT WILL BE POOR. DUE
TO THE NORTHEAST WINDS AND DRY AIR MASS...CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER
CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES
COUNTIES...AND RED FLAG WARNINGS REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THE VALLEY
AND MOUNTAIN AREAS THROUGH MONDAY EVENING.

ON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY...THE OFFSHORE FLOW IS EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN
ACROSS THE AREA. THIS WILL RESULT IN CONTINUED WARMING ACROSS THE
AREA WHILE KEEPING RELATIVE HUMIDITY AT VERY LOW LEVELS. IN FACT
BY WEDNESDAY...MOST COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN
THE 90S TO LOW 100S. DUE TO THE INCREASE IN OFFSHORE WINDS AND THE
VERY WARM AND DRY CONDITIONS...CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS MAY
CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA.

Guest happ

More bad news . . .  

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
1054 AM PDT SUN MAY 11 2014

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH FOR MUCH OF THE BAY AREA AND MONTEREY BAY
REGION TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY...

.BUIDING HIGH PRESSURE WILL BRING RECORD OR NEAR RECORD HEAT
TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL WARM TO ABOVE NORMAL ON MONDAY
THEN CONTINUE TO RISE TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY
SKIES. PERIODS OF OFFSHORE WINDS WILL ALLOW WARM TO HOT TEMPERATURES
TO REACH ALL THE WAY TO THE COAST. PERSONS SENSITIVE TO HEAT SUCH AS
THE ELDERLY AND THOSE ON CERTAIN MEDICATIONS SHOULD PLAN
ACCORDINGLY AND PUT A PLAN IN PLACE NOW TO PREPARE FOR THE
UPCOMING HOT WEATHER. SOME COOLING MAY OCCUR NEAR THE COAST BY
THURSDAY WHILE HOT WEATHER CONTINUES INLAND. MORE NOTED COOLING IS
FORECAST FOR ALL LOCATIONS BY FRIDAY.

1054 AM PDT SUN MAY 11 2014

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA HAS
ISSUED AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* TEMPERATURE: MID 80S TO MID 90S NEAR THE COAST AND BAYS. 90S TO
  LOWER 100S INLAND. OVERNIGHT LOWS FROM THE UPPER 50S TO UPPER
  60S EXCEPT 70S IN THE HILLS WILL KEEP RESIDENCES WARM AND NOT
  ALLOW RELIEF FOR THOSE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING.

* IMPACTS: EVEN THOUGH THE AREA WENT THROUGH A HEAT EVENT TWO
  WEEKS AGO THIS ONE WILL BE HOTTER AND LONGER. MANY PEOPLE ARE
  STILL NOT ACCLIMATED TO THE HOT WEATHER...ESPECIALLY AFTER A
  RELATIVELY COOL WEEKEND. EARLY SEASON HEAT EVENTS PUT A LIFE
  THREATENING STRESS ON THE ELDERLY AND OTHER PEOPLE ON CERTAIN
  MEDICATIONS. IN ADDITION...THOSE WORKING OUTSIDE OR EXPOSED TO THE
  HOT WEATHER CAN BE OVERCOME AND SUFFER FROM HEAT ILLNESSES.
  FIRST RESPONDERS WILL LIKELY SEE A DRAMATIC INCREASE IN CALLS
  AND INCIDENTS.

Guest happ

Lots of wind in metro LA w/ gusts over 50mph in places below passes/ canyons dying down but will likely increase again tomorrow morning.

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP 6314']   57 / 29

DEATH VALLEY [-194]  90 / 64

H: 87

L: 58

Guest happ

Today wasn't too bad and only 5+ warmer than yesterday; pretty much 80/90's across the state with notable exceptions:

EKA : EUREKA NWSO 19 : 62 / 50

I need to consult the data because 2 heat waves within a week of each other in May seems pretty rare.  It gives the strong impression that summer has started though next week looks awfully nice, if verified http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif

SQUAW VALLEY: missing  [Anyone know of another reliable station above 8000'?  Even  TUOLUMNE MEADOWS [8694] is out.

DEATH VALLEY: 96 / 64

H: 91

L: 65

Today wasn't too bad and only 5+ warmer than yesterday; pretty much 80/90's across the state with notable exceptions:

EKA : EUREKA NWSO 19 : 62 / 50

I need to consult the data because 2 heat waves within a week of each other in May seems pretty rare.  It gives the strong impression that summer has started though next week looks awfully nice, if verified http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif

SQUAW VALLEY: missing  [Anyone know of another reliable station above 8000'?  Even  TUOLUMNE MEADOWS [8694] is out.

DEATH VALLEY: 96 / 64

H: 91

L: 65

Even though the temperatures have felt like summer, the pattern itself is far from summer-like. Rather, it is more reminiscent of early-mid fall, especially late October into November when the hot Santa Ana winds often blow strongly accompanied by numerous wildfires. I feel that we are going to have a period of spring weather with onshore flow dominant with the usual May Gray / June Gloom before we jump into a true summer pattern and I think it will happen later this month and into June. There was a significant snowstorm in parts of the Denver metro area yesterday at the same time we were turning hot with the offshore flow, and a couple of locations in the Rockies (near Nederland and Estes Park) received between 14-15" of snowfall during the last 3 days.

May 1997 was the hottest in the 21 years that I've been keeping records at this location with an average of 71 degrees.  That's 7 degrees above my 21-year average of 64.  It was also the warmest May on record at LA Civic Center.  Seems like we have a chance of breaking that this year if this week shapes up as forecast.

It's not above 8,000 feet, but South Lake Tahoe is pretty representative of a mountain climate, and its data are reliably available from the NWS Reno site.

White Mountain No. 2 station at 12,470 ft. used to have the most extreme mountain climate report in California, but has been out of commission since 1980:  http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca9633

I remember May 1997 having some serious heat, but I can't remember the details whether there were any Santa Ana winds involved or just strong upper level high pressure with weak offshore flow. The rainy season ended incredibly early that year with our last storm at the beginning of February, and those types of years often have high spikes of heat much like we are having this year. That entire spring from March to May was very warm to hot at times and if I remember correctly, June was more pleasant and springlike before the summer pattern arrived in July.

Of course we all know what happened the following winter with the big El Nino event!

Guest happ

As Dan points out, this heat wave, just like the past several 'santa ana's'  is similar to the heat we normally experience in September/ October.  So even though it is quite hot, it is not humid by any means and therefore a bit more comfortable.  Could only find one station w/ triple digits in California; Gilroy is in the southern Santa Clara Valley in Central California.  

GILROY: [194']  102 / 54

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP: [6314']  70 / 30

DEATH VALLEY: [-194'] 98 / 77

H: 96 

L: 69

It was hot and windy here in Orange for most of the day with very low humidity. The wind has decreased quite a bit from earlier, but there is still a Santa Ana breeze blowing at this time. This wind episode has not been nearly as strong as the event two weeks ago, at least here in Orange County, and has not knocked over my potted plants, either. It is still very warm out right now with temps in the mid 80's and it is nearly 8 p.m. Fortunately there hasn't been any fires in my area, but there is a fire burning in San Diego (I believe the 4S Ranch area) in the northeastern portion of the city.

At least with the low humidity, the nights cool down nicely, leading to much more comfortable conditions as opposed if it were hot and humid as in a late summer pattern.

Guest happ

Models were correct in predicting heat today.  Lots of 100° temps across the state; the many fires [esp in San Diego county] are symptomatic of the extremely low dew points/ high winds.  Looking forward to cooler conditions next week.

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP [6314] : 75 / 31
DEATH VALLEY [ -194] : 99 / 78

H: 101 [first 100+ day this year; normally this would occur in mid-summer into autumn]
L: 71

It is very hot here in Orange with a current temperature of 102.9. Today is forecast to be the hottest day of the entire event and the weekend is supposed to cool down to more seasonable levels. Next week is looking quite pleasant and more typical of what is normal for this time of year with highs in the 70's for inland Orange County.

Even though this highly anomalous pattern is interesting from a meteorological standpoint, I don't find this type of weather enjoyable during the spring months, and I hope this is the last Santa Ana event of the season and the last heatwave of the spring. I think I am finding myself complaining more about the heat this time around because it has been so dry the last couple of winters and that it has been particularly warm the entire winter in general and I am just getting tired of this overall pattern we have been stuck in what seems like forever.

Noteworthy records today - including my hometown of Santa Maria, wow!

...Preliminary record high temperatures set today...

a record high temperature of 97 degrees was set at Los Angeles International Airport CA today. This broke the old record of 94 set in 1956. The high of 97 also tied for the monthly record for may at Los Angeles Airport with may 13th 1979 and may 16th 1956.

A record high temperature of 102 degrees was set at downtown Los Angeles/usc today. This broke the old record of 101 set in 1970.

A record high temperature of 101 degrees was set at Long Beach Airport CA today. This broke the old record of 100 set in 1967.

A record high temperature of 100 degrees was set at bob Hope Airport (burbank) CA today. This tied the old record of 100 set in 1970.

A record high temperature of 102 degrees was set at Woodland Hills (pierce college) CA today. This broke the old record of 101 set in 2008 and 1970.

A record high temperature of 97 degrees was set at ucla today. This tied the old record of 97 set in 1970.

A record high temperature of 92 degrees was set at Sandberg CA today. This broke the old record of 84 set in 2009 and 2008.

A record high temperature of 97 degrees was set at Camarillo Airport CA today. This broke the old record of 96 set in 1967.

A record high temperature of 96 degrees was set at Oxnard nwsfo CA today. This broke the old record of 95 set in 1967.

A record high temperature of 97 degrees was set at Santa Barbara Airport CA today. This broke the old record of 91 set in 1970 and 1967.

A record high temperature of 105 degrees was set at Santa Maria Airport CA today. This broke the old daily record of 100 set in 1970. This also set a new high temperature record for the month of may at Santa Maria. The previous monthly record for may was 101 set on may 13th 1927.

In the first half of may 2014...Santa Maria recorded 4 of the top 9 hottest days ever recorded in the month of may at this station which includes 100 on may 14th (tied for 3rd warmest with may 15th 1970)...99 on may 13th (5th warmest)...and 98 on may 2nd (tied for 6th warmest with may 19th 1942...may 10th 1941 and may 8th 1923). In addition...the high of 105 tied for the third hottest temperature ever recorded at Santa Maria since records began there in 1906. The top three hottest temperatures have been 108 on October 4th 1987... 106 on September 22nd 1939...and 105 on September 27th 2010.

A record high temperature of 103 degrees was set at Paso Robles Airport CA today. This broke the old record of 102 set in 1970.

Guest happ

This has been a brutal heat wave that finally is winding down. Next week can't come any faster.

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP [6314] : 76 / 36

DEATH VALLEY [-194] : 109 / 70

H: 102

L: 75

RECORD EVENT REPORT...FINAL

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

520 PM PDT THU MAY 15 2014

...HIGHEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED ON MAY 15 2014 ...

LOCATION NEW RECORD OLD RECORD PERIOD OF RECORD

SAN DIEGO 97 91 IN 1956 1875

RAMONA 100 94 IN 1997 1974

RIVERSIDE 103 100 IN 2008 1893

SANTA ANA 103 98 IN 1967 1906

NEWPORT BEACH 86 82 IN 1967 1921

LAGUNA BEACH 100 92 IN 1967 1928

ELSINORE 102 100 IN 1905 1897

ESCONDIDO 104 100 IN 1970 1900

ALPINE 101 95 IN 1967 1952

EL CAJON 104 97 IN 1997 1979

...HIGHEST MINIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED ON MAY 15 2014 ...

LOCATION NEW RECORD OLD RECORD PERIOD OF RECORD

SANTA ANA 68 64 IN 1996 1906

NEWPORT BEACH 65 64 IN 1996 1921

SAN DIEGO 70 66 IN 1996 1914

RIVERSIDE 62 TIED 62 IN 1993 1893

ESCONDIDO 62 61 IN 1931 1900

With so many records being broken just goes to show how hot it was today.

Unfortunately with the Record Report above, the spaces were stripped out when I used the Quote function, so the table didn't display as neatly as I thought it would.

I am wondering if some of the fires in San Diego County were the work of an arsonist because many of them were fairly close to each other. Most occurred between Camp Pendleton and Carlsbad, extending eastward toward Escondido and Fallbrook, not all that far from Highway 78, a freeway which goes from Oceanside to Escondido.

In contrast, there were very few fires, except for a few very small ones, in Orange, Riverside, Los Angeles, and San Bernardino Counties where it was just as hot, but not quite as windy.

Guest happ

I am wondering if some of the fires in San Diego County were the work of an arsonist because many of them were fairly close to each other. Most occurred between Camp Pendleton and Carlsbad, extending eastward toward Escondido and Fallbrook, not all that far from Highway 78, a freeway which goes from Oceanside to Escondido.

In contrast, there were very few fires, except for a few very small ones, in Orange, Riverside, Los Angeles, and San Bernardino Counties where it was just as hot, but not quite as windy.

I heard on the radio that the fire departments are looking into the possibility of arson. It seems like a miracle that other areas in SoCal didn't have hardly any fires considering the wind. Speaking of wind, Leo Carrillo beach in Malibu is still 90° at 9pm.  Tomorrow the onshore wind will be a welcome change.

-

Generally more interested in the why than the what where looking at different main occurrence or events myself, ...

In line with what I'd' brought up within the post of mine accessible here following -  http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/177-california-weather-climate/?p=26681

And with certainly not discounting latitude as a more basic factor where considering temperature - either there or here, …..

.. With its more at this pointand if counter-intuitive to what might be expected more at this seasonal pointhaving moved more south as opposed to having more begun to, …

.. As with the general situation nearly two weeks ago, still present colder air has moved to flank warmer on all sides but south, working to coral in warmer air, and so, as a general result, caused both main pressure along with temperatures to build substantially. /  To record levels of course more south. And to if only near to record temps more north and inland within the central valley more near and around Sacramento.

http://www.proxigee.com/14051523_tcm_sfc_na-t40.png
14051523z tcm sfc naImage source: "Unisys Weather"

With colder air's general recession daily more northward beginning tomorrow, pressures should let up gradually. This, if with main radiational warming being allowed to continue to keep up to a relative extent with both this idea and while at the same time main colder air is caused to slow its movement more eastward over the next few days. Main question with these ideas more general in mind though being, just what eastward momentum the less dense cold to the west at this point has left where considering the idea of any more significant cooling north to south. 

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/522-later-spring-2014-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=27198

---

Guest happ

Still warm but much nicer today.  Satellite shows marine layer forming out over Santa Monica Bay.

SO. LAKE TAHOE [6314]: 71 / 41

DEATH VALLEY [-194]: 112 / 79

H: 88

L: 66

Despite still being a bit warm, it was much nicer today than it has been for most of this past week, and tonight is finally below 70 degrees (66.5) before midnight for a change! I am looking forward to the cool weather for next week with onshore flow dominating. Hopefully we don't have another heat wave next weekend or the following week.

Guest happ

Temps dropped another 10 degrees today for near normal readings. Upper low produced some rain in usual North Coastal foothills [Del Norte/ Humboldt counties] though most areas remained dry.

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP [6314] : 62 / 47

DEATH VALLEY [-194] : 110 / 82

H: 78

L: 63

Guest happ

NOAA's 6-10 & 8-14 day long range are looking horrible for California.  I waited for today forecast since the weekend product seems to favor ridging many times.  Now today's prediction is also for above normal temps and, of-course, no rain which is climatology anyway.  Really hope these forecasts don't verify. 

NOAA's 6-10 & 8-14 day long range are looking horrible for California.  I waited for today forecast since the weekend product seems to favor ridging many times.  Now today's prediction is also for above normal temps and, of-course, no rain which is climatology anyway.  Really hope these forecasts don't verify. 

Those products have been looking horrible for CA almost this entire season, indicating above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation like a broken record since the fall. I almost swear I have been looking at the same map for the past 6 months!!

Guest happ

There is some uncertainty with the models and maybe a cut-off low over the Southwest this week but the graphs are frightening considering the possible repeat of heat waves into June.  Today is great, however and I see quite a bit of stratus in a eddy off San Diego this afternoon; so Gray May may be around for a while.

There is some uncertainty with the models and maybe a cut-off low over the Southwest this week but the graphs are frightening considering the possible repeat of heat waves into June.  Today is great, however and I see quite a bit of stratus in a eddy off San Diego this afternoon; so Gray May may be around for a while.

In some of the other years that have had hot spells during April and May like we have had this year, June has actually turned out to be a nice month with near to slightly below normal temperatures. Whether this year continues that trend or the heat spikes continue into June remains to be seen.

Since it is getting really late into the season, I can't really see the Santa Ana pattern continuing on for much longer, especially as the desert regions begin to heat up even more as we get closer to summer.

Guest happ

Shorewave moving into northern California has produced some thundershowers as far south as Marysville in central Sacramento Valley this afternoon.  Rain chances tonight into tomorrow for Central and maybe SoCal. 

SO LAKE TAHOE  [6314] :  60 /  31 /    T

DEATH VALLEY    [-194] : 102 /  74

H: 75

L: 63

Guest happ

Some widely scattered rainfall mainly in Central California including snow above 7000' in the Sierra Nevada.

CARMEL VALLEY [Monterey Co] : 0.27

SHAVER LAKE [Fresno Co] : 0.35

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE AP [6314] :     44 /  34 /  0.67 / 2.0

DEATH VALLEY [-194] : 90 / 72

H: 69 [tied 5/7 for coolest max]

L: 57 

I am glad to hear that Norcal is getting a bit of late season rainfall. It was really cool here today with highs in the low 70's and is very cool and breezy tonight with a current temperature of 61.

There is now a 40% chance of showers with a slight chance of t-storms on Thursday for my area here in Orange. Hopefully I get something measurable from this one.

Those products have been looking horrible for CA almost this entire season, indicating above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation like a broken record since the fall. I almost swear I have been looking at the same map for the past 6 months!!

I think above normal temperatures has become the "default" forecast for our region on both the 6-10 Day and the 8-14 Day outlooks. I know this has been a rather warm winter and spring season (even downright hot at times), but seeing above normal temperatures predicted in both of these outlooks almost every time I have checked them this season is getting beyond ridiculous.

Light showers on and off in the mountains - no thunder yet. Always an interesting site to see thunderheads forming on San Gorgonio and San jacinto (baldy to a lesser extent) early this morning while the marine layer below completely blocking out the view of the valley.