December 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

You spent all weekend attacking me for posting precip and snow maps... and then thanked him for posting a 10-day precip map and said it made you feel better.

Just pointing out the irony that you can't deny exists.

All weekend? I made maybe 2-3 posts about it on Sunday, and I’d be hard pressed to call them “attacks”. Then when you posted a map on Monday I said all is forgiven. :lol: Move on, dude.

All weekend? I made maybe 2-3 posts about it on Sunday, and I’d be hard pressed to call them “attacks”. Then when you posted a map on Monday I said all is forgiven. :lol: Move on, dude.

:lol:

It was way more than that.    You had no problem being so aggressive over the weekend.   Now you want it all to go away!   

Your praise to Shawnigan for his 10-day precip map was just dripping with irony.   Sorry... I have to point that out.   I assume you knew that was going to be the case of course.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’m sure everyone else does too! Your reaction was a lot worse than anything I posted. Kind of like now.

Based on my messages over the weekend... nobody wanted to hear from you on the topic.  

Own it!     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

18z also continues the trend of shredding the precip bit by bit. Every GFS run is now a little bit drier than the last.

Gotta put hope in the wetter Euro I suppose. Pretty hard to fathom a dry winter after the insane warm season we just had. We’ll be facing a Central California style tree die off with another year of this.

Gotta put hope in the wetter Euro I suppose. Pretty hard to fathom a dry winter after the insane warm season we just had. We’ll be facing a Central California style tree die off with another year of this.

Yeah, drought jokes aside, it is concerning that it's now the heart of our rainy season and we still can't get a consolidated system to save our lives. We're working on Year 2 of this kind of pattern and for our area this water year is running significantly drier than last year's, up to this point. 

• Like 1

The only time people want to hear from you is when they want a snow/wind map posted.

Own it!

Not what I heard overwhelmingly from other people over the weekend.    ;)

Yeah, drought jokes aside, it is concerning that it's now the heart of our rainy season and we still can't get a consolidated system to save our lives. We're working on Year 2 of this kind of pattern and for our area this water year is running significantly drier than last year's, up to this point. 

Additionally, 1985, 1944, and 1952 are the three driest years on record at PDX at 22.48", 23.37", and 25.70" respectively.

PDX is now at 23.43" this year and if current GFS trends are to be believed, there's an outside shot that they could bump 1952 out of 3rd place.

• Like 1

All this clamoring for -EPO ecstasy yet it would only hasten or imminent demise.

I’m actually all for an active jet and mountain snow continuing for as long as we can scrape it together. Unfortunately neither that or any sort of meaningful cold blocking event seems to be in the cards at the moment.

#fugh

Got about 4 inches yesterday. And more coming tonight looks like. Had fun plowing the road. Then after that had to replace water pump and timing belt on my geo tracker. Did it in 2 hrs not bad for the conditions lol.

Very nice pics. If we can manage sub 1500 foot snow levels in the near future I want to take a trip up the hills behind the house to find me some snow

• Like 1

Additionally, 1985, 1944, and 1952 are the three driest years on record at PDX at 22.48", 23.37", and 25.70" respectively.

PDX is now at 23.43" this year and if current GFS trends are to be believed, there's an outside shot that they could bump 1952 out of 3rd place.

We still need 3.28 inches of rain to not place in the top 5.

I’m actually all for an active jet and mountain snow continuing for as long as we can scrape it together. Unfortunately neither that or any sort of meaningful cold blocking event seems to be in the cards at the moment.

#fugh

It's a bummer...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

At least today was nice. Raindrops weren’t falling on my head, so you better bet your sweet a** my eyes won’t be turning read at any point in the near future!

Breathe Jesse.      :rolleyes:

Subsurface shows it should continue to recover pretty quickly. And it's still in Nino territory, with the rest of the basin there as well.

You're not seriously still doubting that we're going to have an official Nino, right? Seems like a given. ONI for the next trimonthly should be around +1.0.

Yeah, I actually am still doubting it. And not for the reasons above.

Got about 4 inches yesterday. And more coming tonight looks like. Had fun plowing the road. Then after that had to replace water pump and timing belt on my geo tracker. Did it in 2 hrs not bad for the conditions lol.

Nice square body you got there!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Out through day 13 and stuck again.

Here is the day 8-13 period:

eps-z500a-5d-noram-53.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-53.png

Weird looking pattern. I wonder how much of that is a product of ensemble spread?

Then again, weird looking patterns are commonplace during SSW events, and models often fail to capture them correctly outside 5 days.

I have no faith whatsoever in the clown range modeling right now. None.

• Like 2

You realize a SSW doesn't guarantee we get cold right?

But it certainly improves the odds of it.

Especially in a +ENSO winter, when the reduction in static stability helps keep the MJO active at the expense of the background state.

So staying warm neutral?

I think it will be either warm neutral or a very weak niño, but you’re sort of splitting hairs at that point.

In the grand scheme of things, this can only be described as an anemic warm ENSO event.

I think it will be either warm neutral or a very weak niño, but you’re sort of splitting hairs at that point.

In the grand scheme of things, this can only be described as an anemic warm ENSO event.

Got it. 

And I suspect that keeps a stronger Nino next year in play as well?