April 2024 Observations and Discussion

On 4/24/2024 at 6:57 AM, westMJim said:

Even though the news stories that I have seen downplay it the Ruang’s eruptions may (or may not) have some effect on the weather leading into fall and next winter. Will have to keep an eye on how the sunrise and sunset pay out over the days ahead. The more red they are the more dust there could be in the upper atmosphere.

Ruang’s eruption will add to the eruption of that big sea mount in the southern Pacific several months ago. The ash reached the stratosphere and scientists believed then it would affect our next few years.
Now Ruang.  You guys know better than me, but it looks like some cooling is in store for a few years. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

New car day. I have broken down and bought a new SUV with all of the new gadgets on it. We will be picking it up later today. I will get some how to programing at the dealership but will still need to “program” it over the next few days. It is my 1st car with a lot of the new technology on it.

The official H/L  yesterday at Grand Rapids was 70/53 there was 0.21” of rainfall. It was yet another windy day with a average wind speed of 10.5 MPH and a peak gust of 35 MPH out of the SW. The sun was out 21% of the time. For today the average H/L is 64/43 the record high of 87 was set in 1894 and 1942. The record low of 26 was set in 1971 and 2008. The wettest and most snow fall was in 1963 with 1.85” that fell as 3.6” of snow. Last year the H/L was 50/39.

Here in MBY I recorded 0.51” of rainfall yesterday and the overnight low here was 45. At the current time it Is clear and 50.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tom said:

Now this map looks like your "typical" Heartland Spring Severe Wx map.  How many times have we seen this map shifter farther east?  I recall, so many years where the Plains have been left out.  Certainly has that "share the wealth" look to it if your a fan of severe wx.  Heck, I have seen and witnessed thunder, lightning and hail out here in the Valley of the Sun this Spring!  lesssgo!

Yup, tornado alley reminding people it's still here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, westMJim said:

New car day. I have broken down and bought a new SUV with all of the new gadgets on it. We will be picking it up later today. I will get some how to programing at the dealership but will still need to “program” it over the next few days. It is my 1st car with a lot of the new technology on it.

The official H/L  yesterday at Grand Rapids was 70/53 there was 0.21” of rainfall. It was yet another windy day with a average wind speed of 10.5 MPH and a peak gust of 35 MPH out of the SW. The sun was out 21% of the time. For today the average H/L is 64/43 the record high of 87 was set in 1894 and 1942. The record low of 26 was set in 1971 and 2008. The wettest and most snow fall was in 1963 with 1.85” that fell as 3.6” of snow. Last year the H/L was 50/39.

Here in MBY I recorded 0.51” of rainfall yesterday and the overnight low here was 45. At the current time it Is clear and 50.

What SUV did you pick up?  Isn't it overwhelming with all the new tech coming out in cars these days?  Feels like your walking into the cockpit of an aircraft! 

9 minutes ago, westMJim said:

I got a 2024 Honda CRV EXL it has all of the newest tech on it. The old one only had a back up camera. 

Nice upgrade!  The dealerships offer up some great low financing.  I know Lincoln is offering 0.9% for 2024 or 2023 models...I stopped and looked at the Aviator.  They sure have stepped up into the luxury game.

I actually did end up getting only 0.10" more rain last evening, bringing my April total to 5.60". The storms rapidly weakened as expected, but didn't dive se. Had one tremendous clap of thunder kind of out of the blue. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 8:18 AM, Tom said:

Summer HEAT is on here in the Valley of the Sun...90's all day...every day...

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 5.22.36 AM.png

Every time I see this stuff I wonder how I tolerated that place for 3 years :lol:

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

7 hours ago, Black Hole said:

Every time I see this stuff I wonder how I tolerated that place for 3 years :lol:

90's are a cake walk...once you get into the 100's but esp above 105F, then it gets a bit to Hot for my liking.  August is prob the worst month due to the humidity from the Monsoon.

• Sun 1

• Tom unpinned this topic