February 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

+ Tony, I was just going to comment on the 12z Euro Ensembles and a majority of them have either a Bowling Ball/Cutter look to them.  Do you think we should start a Thread for this system and separate it from the general Feb Discussion?  Signs are pointing someone in the Plains/Midwest/Lakes is going to see a storm.  Where it actually tracks is up in the air.

The CFSv2 runs just keep getting Barbaric each day for the rest of this month into the first half of March.  Some of the members continue to build a massive snow pack covering a lot of real estate from the Plains to the Lakes.  I see a very strong signal of a dominant SE ridge developing in March and with plenty of late season arctic air around, I could see some big time winter storms.

12z Euro Ensembles also showing increasing amounts of snow over the next 2 weeks over the Central CONUS.  When this Winter is over, I think some ppl in the Central CONUS will be waiving their "white flags".

+ Tony, I was just going to comment on the 12z Euro Ensembles and a majority of them have either a Bowling Ball/Cutter look to them.  Do you think we should start a Thread for this system and separate it from the general Feb Discussion?  Signs are pointing someone in the Plains/Midwest/Lakes is going to see a storm.  Where it actually tracks is up in the air.

I think that is a good idea as not to clog up this thread. It's a few days out and I could see a lot of posting if the runs continue to pan out.

I think that is a good idea as not to clog up this thread. It's a few days out and I could see a lot of posting if the runs continue to pan out.

I'll prob start it during tonight's 00z runs.  We'll see if the 00z GFS can start coming back with a system.

GFS supression city. Thinking tonight's runs will be interesting. Some of the EURO ensembles are monstrous.

I agree, I saw some incredible wide reaching storm systems out of the 51 members.  I think in this type of pattern, your area should start doing real well with the amount of cold and storminess headed our way over the next 3+ weeks.

Already big differences showing up on the 00z GFS...quite the change already and its starting to look like the GGEM did a day or two ago.  Tonight it is trying to phase this storm down in the deep south and it cuts NE up the Appalachians unlike the 18z run where it had the storm up the East Coast.

Already big differences showing up on the 00z GFS...quite the change already and its starting to look like the GGEM did a day or two ago.  Tonight it is trying to phase this storm down in the deep south and it cuts NE up the Appalachians unlike the 18z run where it had the storm up the East Coast.

I didnt see that. I see Boston getting destroyed again on this run. Wouldn't surprise me. Its their year. Luckily, its still 6-7 days out so lots of changes can be expected.

I didnt see that. I see Boston getting destroyed again on this run. Wouldn't surprise me. Its their year. Luckily, its still 6-7 days out so lots of changes can be expected.

Boston gets rain actually and the snow is farther inland....wherever this storm tracks its going to be huge....

GGEM suppressed?

The trough over the weekend overloads the entire CONUS.  It's the only model thus far that has such a deep trough and it's showing sub-zero highs in IA/WI/MN on Saturday.  Single digit lows in GA/AL/AR???  Might be over doing it on this run which suppresses the system all the way down into the Gulf coast.

00z Euro certainly trending north and more juiced up...looking a lot more like it's 12z ensembles...00z GGEM seems like it is on its own with suppression.  GFS starting to turn the corner slowly.  It'll be another interesting day tomorrow but I like where the trends are going.

Holy Mother of Mary is that some cold stuff at the end of the Euro 486 1000-500 hPa thickness near I-Falls with 500 thickness as far S as N.IA into S.WI---- easily the coldest of the winter for many.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Chicago is in the perfect spot again. You guys are gonna get buried. 

A lot of juice showing up with this system...the amount of cold entering this pattern is not going to bode well for you guys up north.  Maybe not until March when I think the SE ridge will build back in.

Holy Mother of Mary is that some cold stuff at the end of the Euro 486 1000-500 hPa thickness near I-Falls with 500 thickness as far S as N.IA into S.WI---- easily the coldest of the winter for many.

Many sub-zero nights on the way...on the verge of the coldest part of the LRC ...