2022-2023 California and Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Was raining when I came through LAX last night. 

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Winter Solstice arrives tomorrow and days begin to get longer. Sorry for those who like it dark all the time.

Time and Date

12/20/2023 11:25:23 AM

Solar Declination

23.43 S

Equation of Time

Minutes for Solar Declination to change by .01

Minutes for Equation of Time to change by .01

We're basically down to 3 people here, ordered by post frequency.

@Anti Marine Layer

@Thunder98

@Dan the Weatherman

Since our weather is so boring and even when it gets exciting there's still not enough people, I'll have to learn to post here without falling into the temptation to go into the Politics Thread.

Hoping for a wild El Nino with lots of rain, but lots of nice days in between storms.

7 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

We're basically down to 3 people here, ordered by post frequency.

@Anti Marine Layer

@Thunder98

@Dan the Weatherman

Since our weather is so boring and even when it gets exciting there's still not enough people, I'll have to learn to post here without falling into the temptation to go into the Politics Thread.

Hoping for a wild El Nino with lots of rain, but lots of nice days in between storms.

Haha!!

So Cal has some boring a** weather!  Again, the rain totals are going down, down, down each time I check.

Bleh!!!

• Sick 1

Roadnowhere08 said:

"It will when the ARs come.  Warmer air = more water vapor capacity"

I disagree. Air is warming faster than the ocean surface. This creates a stronger inversion with greater depth. The air/water vapor directly above the ocean surface is cooler now than the warmer air above. The water vapor can't rise as readily through the marine layer as in previous times. The general trend of reports, like those of AML, seem to be indicate a thicker and more frequent marine layer off the California coast. This idea is of course is totally opposed to the accepted wisdom of the IPCC that says greater rainfall can be expected as a result of warmer air. Doesn't mean we won't have ARs and flooding rain. That will still happen. But less frequently, IMHO. My weather science is rudimentary and subjective.

• Sick 1

3 hours ago, AquariusRadar said:

Roadnowhere08 said:

"It will when the ARs come.  Warmer air = more water vapor capacity"

I disagree. Air is warming faster than the ocean surface. This creates a stronger inversion with greater depth. The air/water vapor directly above the ocean surface is cooler now than the warmer air above. The water vapor can't rise as readily through the marine layer as in previous times. The general trend of reports, like those of AML, seem to be indicate a thicker and more frequent marine layer off the California coast. This idea is of course is totally opposed to the accepted wisdom of the IPCC that says greater rainfall can be expected as a result of warmer air. Doesn't mean we won't have ARs and flooding rain. That will still happen. But less frequently, IMHO. My weather science is rudimentary and subjective.

If the air is warmer due to increased heat retention by greenhouse gases, by definition more atmospheric heat will come into contact with the ocean surface through conduction.  Since air is a terrible conductor, it is not an obvious change, but over time it adds up.  Warmer water directly translates into increased evaporation due to increased molecular movement and subsequent polar bond breaking.

When that warmer, more humid air is tapped into by lows, California will absolutely see increased rainfall totals... when we get that rain.  Of course those ARs are subject to steering and such , so it is a crapshoot for us here, but that moisture has to go somewhere.  California has historically been boom and bust like that.  The extremes will get worse.  But when we get big rain, it will be more extreme.

There are tons of reports, stories, and studies showing that precipitation events are/will be worsened due to increased heat and moisture capacity.

• Storm 1