January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

BTW - for about the last 4 years the best forecasting method has been to pull the worst analogs that drive cold weenies crazy and use only those years.     That is no joke or trolling.   It has truly been the best method for an accurate forecast.    And it will probably work again for one more year.  As Dewey occasionally reminds us... persistence is an important factor.

The last two summers everything really pointed to warmth.   There was no way to think otherwise even if some called it trolling.   

And I guarantee that late this coming fall and winter that will change.   My forecast one year from now will be much more pessimistic.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I made similar posts in 2013, 2014, 2015 and people said my forecast was totally wrong.

I am still seeing all the signs pointing to another warm summer again this year. 2017 and probably 2018 will be cooler.

I was definitely on the warm summer bandwagon the last couple of years. Seemed like it was the most probable outcome. Not sure about this year though. As of now, I am thinking something close to seasonal temperature wise. I would agree on the warm spring though.

I was definitely on the warm summer bandwagon the last couple of years. Seemed like it was the most probable outcome. Not sure about this year though. As of now, I am thinking something closer to seasonal temperature wise. I would agree on the warm spring though.

Yeah, warm spring is probably a given. After that it becomes a bit more of a crapshoot.

I was definitely on the warm summer bandwagon the last couple of years. Seemed like it was the most probable outcome. Not sure about this year though. As of now, I am thinking something closer to seasonal temperature wise. I would agree on the warm spring though.

June is going to be wetter and cooler than normal.   July - September are likely going to torch... into October as well.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

June is going to wetter and cooler than normal. July - September are likely going to torch... into October as well.

I like a warm summer, so I am okay with that. Hope it is a bit wetter than the last couple, parts of my lawn never came back with the fall rains. I am going to have to top dress and re seed this year.

June is going to be wetter and cooler than normal. July - September are likely going to torch... into October as well.

What's your reasoning for this prediction? I'm seeing a different outcome.

What's your reasoning for this prediction? I'm seeing a different outcome.

You said that the last two years as well... I clearly remember you saying it was going to blowtorch out there last summer and be much cooler here and we went out and had the warmest summer ever here.

Combination this year of 1942, 1958, 1992, 1998... maybe a little 1987 and 2003.     

We might have some similarities to 1983 right now but that was a strange summer.   The PDO shot up to insane levels that summer.    That does not always mean warmth here.   Something strange was happening that year and to expect it to play out like that again is probably not a good basis for a long-term forecast.

For comparison... here are the SSTA maps from this week in 2014, 2015, and 2016.    Not supporting any forecast here... just showing the maps for reference.    Use them to support whatever you want.

1/30/14

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2014/anomnight.1.30.2014.gif

1/29/15

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomnight.1.29.2015.gif

Today...

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2016/anomnight.1.28.2016.gif

Not the full post yet but here is a summary:

March - May will be quite warm and drier than average. Not dry of course... but drier than average.

June will be cooler and wetter than normal.

Then July - October will be warmer and drier than normal. September will be a blowtorch.

The summers of 2014 and 2015 will not be challenged for warmth. But it will probably be a top 10 warm spring - fall period.

2016 will be warmest year on record. People will long for cooler days.

I'm not going to even try to give a prediction of what will happen overall months from now, let alone years. Not sure how many of you go to the winter weather conference at Omsi but I notice Mark doesn't put in a forecast foe the upcoming winter. I consider him to be much more informed and knowledgeable about meteorology and weather than any of us here, yet he still isn't putting one together. I assume its because he knows that analogs and the past probably isn't going to help him much. If any of you could foresee the future like you talk, (Tim), then wouldn't you be trillionaires and we wouldn't even matter to debate with? Who knows, maybe I'm reaching for an answer.

I just have one question, who am I?

"Jim, you're wrong, and no matter how cold it gets I'm going to throw some bs analog at you and say 'I told you so'. I'm the best and it never snows so there".

You missed the summer being historically dry part though. #bust

This last summer was not a shock temp wise.

It turned wet in King County in late July. Followed by one of the wettest months of August ever.

And here is a prediction from May 2, 2014.   Also knew I would be attacked for pulling up those analogs but I really thought they fit the mold in 2014.

http://s23.postimg.org/3obhgmtrv/may1.jpg

It was dry overall. The historic burn ban proved that.

Very dry early on.   Not August by any means in the Seattle area and out here as well.   It was almost record setting wet.