2016 Fall Off Topic Thread AKA Football or Politics

MossMan

Liberal constituents don't count!!! Only people that agree with me should be represented!!!

The point was the place erupted with contempt over a prayer and the pledge of allegiance. That means they were liberals and not the supposedly disgruntled Republicans everyone has been talking about at these Republican town meetings. The Senator sucker punched them so to speak.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

All the items I listed are supported by/are aspects of the GOP.

Neo-conservatives and Neo-liberals are two peas in a pod, IMO.

Yeah. As the years have gone by I've started to realize along with many other people that the two parties share more similarities than I'd been taught. 

I need to sit down and read about political science sometime :P I don't know anything right now.

• Like 1

Wow, is that true about her tax plan? If so then her talk about closing tax loopholes for the rich was basically just a front.

The thing that bothered me about her was: I felt that she pretended to be more progressive than she is at heart because she saw the appeal of Sanders' politics, and took notes from him. But if you look at her past voting record, which matters to me, I don't see a person who has strong beliefs that line up with my own. And I see an authoritarian streak that I'm not so into (though it's preferable to Trump's combination of authoritarianism and unpredictability).

I recognize that she has done positive things in her career as well--she's not all bad, not at all. She would have been a lot better than Trump. But like Trump supporters, I wanted to see someone be president who wasn't from within the moneyed political establishment, I wanted an idealistic president who would fight for peace and equity.

I agree with your take there, and yeah her tax plan was basically a watered down version of Mitt Romney's plan.

She wanted to close loopholes and deductions, but there was actually no tax cut for the middle class, and she wanted to leave rates for the top 10% as they were/are.

• Like 1

The point was the place erupted with contempt over a prayer and the pledge of allegiance. That means they were liberals and not the supposedly disgruntled Republicans everyone has been talking about at these Republican town meetings. The Senator sucker punched them so to speak.

You must view the world so simply. Thinking liberals are some sort of creatures that react to prayer like a demon being splashed with holy water. :lol: Maybe they were Republicans that hold the constitution in high regard and don't appreciate the muddling of church and state.

Very interesting. I am very angry now. How do I channel my anger? I also know you are always angry too so I thought I would ask for advice. Should I find more of these very interesting and extrememly impactful situations?

5-10 passionate people in rural Louisiana is a pretty big deal. I did wonder if maybe they also love their country and Jesus? But I quickly extinguished that thought. More likely they are evil. Thanks again Jim!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Are you sure about that?

Guest Sounder

I agree with your take there, and yeah her tax plan was basically a watered down version of Mitt Romney's plan.

She wanted to close loopholes and deductions, but there was actually no tax cut for the middle class, and she wanted to leave rates for the top 10% as they were/are.

Middle class don't need a tax cut. I wish they would raise taxes tbh.

I want very low corporate taxes, extremely high personal taxes. Scandinavian model, please.

Could be part of it, but it smells like more than that.

How about Tim? Professes to be a moderate conservative, yet look at his posts. But somehow Jesse sees no cause for a witch hunt on his biases. Not that I personally care, just for the sake of comparison.

Smells funky.

A forum for the end of the world.

You are not politically moderate by any stretch of the imagination and you really need to let this go.

This kind of assertion isn't unique to flatiron though. For some reason the vast majority of self described "independents" are in reality quite conservative leaning. Embarrassment of the joke the Republican Party has become, perhaps?

There's definitely subjectivity involved. But compared to the USA as a whole, I would really be classified as a moderate independent.

Care to share why you're so adamantly convinced I'm not? Not that any of this matters, but thanks to certain posters, that's where the focus is.

How about Tim? Professes to be a moderate conservative, yet look at his posts. But somehow Jesse sees no cause for a witch hunt on his biases. Not that I personally care, just for the sake of comparison.

Smells funky.

Tim's a tool. It's pretty clear his rationale and hyperbole is almost always amplified by Jimnastics.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Middle class don't need a tax cut. I wish they would raise taxes tbh.

I want very low corporate taxes, extremely high personal taxes. Scandinavian model, please.

A good portion of the middle class are struggling financially and a tax cut would go a long way to alleviating that struggle. I don't think the Scandinavian system is something that could work here, numbers wise. The proportion of people in the lower-middle class is just too large, not to mention all the retiring baby boomers.

• Like 1

Smells funky.

My biases?  How can I be more clear?  I think Jim lives in his own reality with weather and politics and I cannot stand Trump.  I have obviously felt that way for years about Jim and the weather.   My feelings on Trump are as genuine as it comes and has nothing to do with politics or Jim.   Its 100% based on Trump.   Although both Trump and Jim have the same trait of living in their own alternate reality and are basically oblivious to this fact.   

So yeah... its a two-for-one deal in this thread for me.   But if Jim despised Trump... I guarantee you that I would be on the same page with him.  I could never find Trump appealing in any way.    I would also still love warm weather if Jim decided to love warm weather.   My problem is with his myopic views and attitude and not his actual preferences.    I am not on here attacking people who love cool weather or even those who support Trump but are realistic.    

Its the alternate reality propaganda BS that drives me crazy.  Jim has done that for years with cold weather.   Pushing only what he wants us to see and chastising people for not being on board.    

I don't care whether you believe that or not.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Classic Tim. Flatiron references your political views and in response you talk about Jim for 75% of the post.

There really is some odd infatuation there that I still don't fully understand.

I just explained it the best I could.

It was also a response to Matt's comment.

Saying middle class doesn't need a tax cut is hilarious and doesn't deserve a response because he's obviously trolling, right?

He has to be.  On the other hand there are liberals that love high taxes.  Truly brainwashed people they are.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

He has to be. On the other hand there are liberals that love high taxes. Truly brainwashed people they are.

The limousine liberals.

Guest Sounder

He has to be. On the other hand there are liberals that love high taxes. Truly brainwashed people they are.

I know, super weird seeing systems that work in other countries and wanting to apply it here. Brainwashed!!!!

You must view the world so simply. Thinking liberals are some sort of creatures that react to prayer like a demon being splashed with holy water. :lol: Maybe they were Republicans that hold the constitution in high regard and don't appreciate the muddling of church and state.

I just know Republicans don't react like that.  Most of them respect God too much to complain about a prayer.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just know Republicans don't react like that. Most of them respect God too much too complain about a prayer.

There's all kinds of Republicans, just like there's all kinds of Democrats, or independents for that matter.

I wouldn't doubt if there have been some "plants" at these meetings, but those people reacting that way doesn't prove they are.

Yeah, see, you still won't do it. I bet it would feel good in a weird way. Kind of like popping a zit.

Still won't do what? Admit I voted for Trump and actually am a huge fan? Sorry, neither is true.

Stick more to facts, less to silly narratives you build out of butt-hurt.

snow_wizard, on 26 Feb 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I just know Republicans don't react like that.  Most of them respect God too much to complain about a prayer.

I wonder how you/ conservatives would react if the prayer was led by a Moslem praying to Allah?

Very interesting and informative post!   

Thanks again Jim for such great information.   

I just know Republicans don't react like that. Most of them respect God too much to complain about a prayer.

You have to be ******* kidding me.

The politicizing of prayer has absolutely nothing to do with respect for God.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I hope all of you get your taxes raised so high you can't even afford food.

Your true colors are flying high.  As Rush Limbaugh has been saying Trump has forced the liberal's hand to show what they truly stand for.

I know you are being partially facetious here, but your contempt for the hard working white middle class couldn't be more clear.  The class that pays for pretty much everything in this country by the way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You have to be ******* kidding me.

The politicizing of prayer has absolutely nothing to do with respect for God.

I stand behind my statement 100%.  No doubt those were liberal plants.  The Senator did this as a trap of sorts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I wonder how you/ conservatives would react if the prayer was led by a Moslem praying to Allah?

Utterly ridiculous argument.  It's much more likely the left would allow that while shouting down praying Christian.  It continues to mystify me why the left is tolerant of Islam when they are so barbaric when it comes to the treatment of women.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm hopeful that it's more realistic than you think; so many young people supported Bernie. Those people are going to grow up and will take up a larger share of the voting public in future years.

Not to rain on the parade, but historically, most people's ideals/politics change as they age. Bernie supporters now may not have the same views in future years.

Overall though, I think the trend away from establishment politics will continue, unless an unusually strong, unifying leader rises from the establishment.

There's all kinds of Republicans, just like there's all kinds of Democrats, or independents for that matter.

I wouldn't doubt if there have been some "plants" at these meetings, but those people reacting that way doesn't prove they are.

Kid gloves activated!

I hate to say it man but I think you are sort of losing it.

I would have said the same thing 20 years ago.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not to rain on the parade, but historically, most people's ideals/politics change as they age. Bernie supporters now may not have the same views in future years.

Overall though, I think the trend away from establishment politics will continue, unless an unusually strong, unifying leader rises from the establishment.

Very good points.  So much of what we are seeing with Trump is the establishment fighting him.  I think Bernie would have been treated better, but even he would have ruffled establishment feathers with some of his plans.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Flown in on black helicopters piloted by James Hoffa, D.B. Cooper and Tom Daschle.

Hoffa actually likes Trump.  They had a very productive meeting about labor a while back and Hoffa was singing his praises.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Your true colors are flying high. As Rush Limbaugh has been saying Trump has forced the liberal's hand to show what they truly stand for.

I know you are being partially facetious here, but your contempt for the hard working white middle class couldn't be more clear. The class that pays for pretty much everything in this country by the way.

Why did you throw "white" in there? The middle class, hardworking as they are, are more diverse and less white than the upper class. Just saying.

I would have said the same thing 20 years ago.

Liberals aren't evil. I feel like you have been beainwashed to think this. I'm sure as far as core values go you and I probably agree on 70% of things or more. That would probably be true if you compared yourself to most liberals (except for extremists). The differences are superficial, so don't let hate mongers like Limbaugh try to get you to think we are a different specifies or something.

Very good points. So much of what we are seeing with Trump is the establishment fighting him. I think Bernie would have been treated better, but even he would have ruffled establishment feathers with some of his plans.

The establishment hated Bernie from the get go. Almost every story was incredibly biased toward Hillary, so I do get where you are coming from just a little. That's the problem right now, there is little doubt the press is tilted against Trump, but at the same time he needs to be kept in check by strong journalism. When Trump says the media is out to get him it's not entirely a lie, it's like a half or quarter truth, which makes it all very confusing. All comes down to having the ability to discern between the baby and the bath water.